1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marty The Man, Marty The Martyr

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    February 16, 2007

Marty The Man, Marty The Martyr

In this very space, no less than a few weeks ago, I actually DEFENDED Marty Schottenheimer in the face of his 5-13 playoff record.

I can do that no longer.

Two things have happened since then, which need explaining.
    First, there was an email I received from a trusted NFL source – I’ll just call him “Deep Shield” – who relayed a conversation he had with a person who had full audio access to the Chargers meltdown vs. the Patriots.

As you may know, NFL Films does OUTSTANDING re-caps of these games, by being allowed to mic up certain players and coaches – with their permission of course. They will also sometimes be allowed to mix-in audio of the coordinators in the booth, providing of course, it doesn’t compromise a team’s playbook or strategies vs. certain opponents.

When I watched the NFL Films “re-cap” of this game via iTunes (highly recommended at $1.99 per game, or $6.99 for the entire post-season) they showed a good bit of Marty on the sidelines doing his “coaching” of the ‘Bolts.

They even showed him playing “Father Flanagan” to that idiot Drayton Florence who got the 15 yard penalty that started a chain reaction of further game killing stupidity. There was Marty, sitting alone on the bench next to Florence, chiding him sternly, but gently.

Upon seeing this, I said: “classic Marty.” He always gets his rocks off being a “teacher.” Which is fine. But sometimes, the “teaching” must end, and the FEAR OF GOD must come into clear focus.

Personally, I thought it was time for the Fear of God. Most coaches, I presume would be staring daggers at Florence, if not even benching him for a series. Would it have made him play better? Maybe, maybe not.

But it DOES get the focus and attention of the rest of the team to TIGHTEN UP and play smart. I think the Chargers needed that.
    Anyway, what NFL Films ALLOWED us to see of Marty “mic’d up” is a small FRACTION of what “Deep Shield’s” source was privy to. Get a load of this…

Steve,
    Just caught the tail-end of your show this morning when you were talking about Schottenheimer and downloading the playoff stuff from I-Tunes.

I know somebody that had full audio access to that game. What he said, was mind-blowing.
    You'll remember the infamous 4th and 11 call that probably doomed SD in the first quarter. This was the exchange that was heard “down-the-line” between Marty and Cam Cameron.
    Marty: We're going for it.

Cameron: No f'ing way coach, we're kicking.

Marty: Find a play. We're going for it.

From then on it was a huge argument with cursing left and right. They had to call a time out and when Rivers came over he said, "What's going on, why aren't we kicking the field goal?"

So early in the second quarter, Marty yells into the mic, "Goddamnit, I'm so hyped up someone needs to get over here and calm me down." So the special teams coach comes over to him and talks to him and Marty says, "I was pulling into the parking lot today and I decided we were going to be aggressive.

People don't think I can be aggressive but I decided driving in that we were going to be." And the ST coach says, "Coach. You can't let the outside stuff get to you." I think it's interesting, at best, that Schottenheimer was making decisions in the parking lot with regard to strategy.

All told, the guy said it was pretty unbelievable. Anyway, you probably will not be seeing those clips on any upcoming special on the life and times of coach Marty Schottenheimer but I thought you'd enjoy hearing about it.

Sincerely,
    “Deep Shield”

Wow. I have good reason to believe this is within 93% of being true. And as such, I must change my assessment of his in-game coaching leadership.

Fast forward to his firing this week. Some will say that he “stood on principle” and left “via the high road.” Okay, no arguments there.

But think about how utterly stupid it was.

So what if A.J. Smith hates your guts? So what if he’s got the boss hammer in the organization? So what if you won’t be running the war room this spring?

So what, so what, so what????

Marty was sitting on a ROCKET SHIP of a team, with a phenomenal chance of making the Super Bowl. And he was given an unlikely death row PARDON from Spanos and Company after this year’s flame out.

As a COACH, this was the year for Marty to just SUCK IT UP and coach his way to glory. He won’t likely get another chance this good again. Oh sure, he’ll get another job. With a **** team, that just fired their coach. He’ll need another rebuild job, and hopefully a Hall of Famer like the one he had in LT.

Look, everybody who works for somebody else in life, knows that you don’t win all the battles. You know that sometimes your boss is an *******. You know that there are insults, slights, and indignities you don’t deserve.

And perhaps Marty didn’t deserve A.J. Smith’s ****. I’m accepting that possibility.

But still….. think of it. Roll with it Marty. Just one freaking year in which you aren’t king of the organizational flow chart. How bad could it be? The players still liked you. So what do you care, in 20 years, if things were sorta rocky?
    What would people have remembered more?
    “He finally won a Super Bowl. Welcome to Canton!”
    or…

“Sure, he won one. But he never got along with A.J. Smith.”
    When I saw Marty’s now familiar exit speech, it was laced with an oddly prideful tone of how much better he had left things. It was just like the speech he gave after Dan Snyder did him wrong in Washington.

It was at that moment, it hit me.

Marty… is a martyr.

He seems to actually LIKE this. It’s bizarre, but it’s very clear to me now. I feel bad for him. I think he is a class guy, I think he’s a helluva coach who simply gets a bit too out of whack in big games.

But I think he made the mistake of his coaching lifetime.

http://czabe.com/daily/archives/2007/02/marty_the_man_m.html

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  3. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Tony Dungy is a teacher, and doesn't put the fear of god into anyone, though he has been said to be a god fearing person, and he did alright.

sometimes I think we can nitpick too much; until the nits become too important.

just my thoughts.

Marty was/is a great coach.

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    .... that can't win in the playoffs. :bolt:

5. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm one of those with the opinion that he should have played Martyball, and not given up so much authority to the OC and DC.

Yep, I'm not the brightest bulb in the sky. I mean star in the room. Oh.......you know what I mean!

6. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Winning the Superbowl with the 2007 Chargers. So easy, a Caveman could do it.:tup:

7. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    And Rex fits that to a t-rex!

:bolt:

8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

9. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Marty's players worked their butts off for him. His assistants worked their butts off for him.

They didn't do it for AJ. They played for Marty. It's a drag they didn't get it done this time, but let's hope something gets glued together that the players can use as a touchstone, because they are going to need it.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Not anymore, :lol:

FVCK MARTY

The guys will play their butts off for the next coach as well, except when we get to the playoff this time, the spectre of Marty's Playoff Failures won't be hanging over their heads.

11. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    yep, but like I said, let's hope someone can glue this back together! It's not looking good right now. I just hope the behind the scenes work is getting done and is going to work. It's a cluster**** right now.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Jesus, relax. The best is yet to come.

Marty was HOLDING US BACK.

AJ will not let us down. BELIEVE.

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    One of these fockers who do Photoshop needs to crop Marty out of one of those pep speeches, and stick the Geico Caveman in the pic.

:icon_rofl:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Make sure to include the straw Bolt hat.
    :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    AJ going to be looking real good when we win the super bowl with new coaches...:tup:

I BELIEVE :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    You know it.

:abq2:

I'm so glad marty wont be invited to the party.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

Chargers GM A.J. Smith has long had a list of possible successors to Marty Schottenheimer – not so much because he didn't like his coach but just in case. “Right after Dean hired me, maybe three or four days later, I think it's my job and responsibility to have names,” Smith said Monday night, hours after Schottenheimer was fired. “I've always had a list of names.” It appears he has more than that. According to sources inside the organization, when they spoke to Smith and Spanos on Tuesday the two were extremely optimistic – “giddy” was the description of one source – when they referred to their plan.

Giddy :lol:

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    That has made me smile all week. :abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    The only place that spectre was hangin was with the woe is me crowd right here on this forum, and others like it.

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yeah, because the guys on NFLN or ESPN didn't once mention Marty's record in the whole 2 weeks leading up to the NE game. Not once was it mentioned to anyone on our team.

Athletes are some of the most superstitious people alive.

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    So, you believe all you hear from these "experts"??

22. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't.

23. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Where in the hell is Conc whats he trying to do make us think he has a life :lol: :icon_tease:

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

:icon_rofl: :icon_tease: :icon_toast:

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Less Conc is a good thing. :icon_twisted:

26. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Only one post today...I know your wife won't have sex with you...what the hell are you doing...do I dare ask :icon_shrug: :lol: :icon_tease:

27. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Ok now I'll be serious :icon_finger: :kisskiss: :beat: :conc: :trout: :lol:

28. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    even i could win the SB with the 07 Chargers and i'm 14yrs old:lol: :tup:

29. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    They don't deserve the title "experts"

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Interesting....But that sounds like something Mr "Run on the field in a playoff game 15yr penalty" would do. What a clown. Maybe the DC and OC were happy to get away from Morty. I know I would after that disaster.