1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MartyBall Dead?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt, Oct 8, 2006.

1. DenverBolt

DenverBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Has Marty seen the light? Or will he revert to MartyBall form if we have the lead in the second half next week against S.F.? Will he go for the kill, or sit on the ball? Any predictions?

2. T10

T10 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Rivers has proven himself this game. Marty ball will still be there, but only when the time is right in the game. Otherwise, Rivers is on his way to becoming the next Dan Fouts. :tup:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Hell ya, I would love to put up 300 yds against Sammy Davis and San Fran.

It better be over, I dont know if I could live with myself if we lost to SF.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    we'll se MartyBall next week but with Whitehurst playing it with a 20 point lead

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yep, it better be a slaughter, LT needs to make up for lost yards too. I expect no less than 150 from him next week.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    i keep thinking it is but it seems to come and go

Oakland: Martyball
    Tenn: No
    Baltimore: Yes
    Pitts: No
    SF: ?

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Same as last year, 1st to games yes, next few no, and then on and off for the rest of the year.

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Martyball will never be dead. Dude is too old to change but this is the way i like to see him play it on offense. Dont sit on a 7 point lead and try to get more points. Throw the ball some...even if just to pick up some short yeardage that the run hasnt been efective doing consistantly.

I take my avatar of Marty off and re-install the Super Rivers back in its place.:tup:

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Yup it's just sad that Marty was basically PRESSURED into letting Rivers throw more. PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE. Marty smokes cigs because it's cool :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I'll bet that when Rivers had that INT on the first possession, 90% of the Charger fans watching were thinking "Aw ****, here we go again.... run, run, run....."

:icon_wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I didn't think that.

"Martyball" isn't about abandoning the passing game at the first sign of danger, nor is it about running all the time no matter what.

I generally expect "run run run..." once the Chargers' score becomes higher than the opposition's. When the score isn't as such, then you generally focus on the run, but you do mix in some pass plays here and there.

Thankfully that did not happen last night.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Something inside me tells me that AJ had a chat with marty this week and told him to grow some brass ones or he'll be gone. I would seriously doubt that this was all marty's doing. I'll bet it pained him and he had to wear a Depends in order to keep from soiling himself, but he had no choice but to open it up..... under threat of unemployment.

The good thing is..... he finally realizes that Rivers can play and doesn't need to be babied any longer.

13. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

14. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Martyball will never be dead. We had to throw against Pitt, there were NO running lanes. Alos notice a trend:

Oakland - Martyball (away)
    Tenn. - Air Marty (home)
    Balt. - Martyball (away)
    Pitt - Air Marty (home)

Hummmmmmm............

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    On TV Marty was looking pretty old last night. JMO.

16. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Martyball can crush the niners. LT should have 200 yards. The Chargers will run SF all the way to Market street.

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Dude's older than I am, Bro...thats sayin summpm!!:icon_mrgreen:

Altho I don't think he's older than Roo :icon_eek: :no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :icon_rofl:

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I was thinking, "Parker you idiot. That ball hit you in the freaking hands and you let the defender take it away from you."

19. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Yeah, he let that one go. Gates would've held on and taken the ball back. But Parker also dropped that pass that hit him in the hands and even Keenan dropped the bomb. Our recievers were stinking it up out there in the beginning. Thank god they turned it all around.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I pulled my Avatar since he found his balls last night, but the quote below stays until he wins a playoff game.

21. rapscallion

rapscallion BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Considering the fact that the whiners are ranked 24th in rush defense and 25th in pass defense, I foresee a game plan similar - but not quite as Marty-ish - to the Raider game. Mostly running it down their throats, but passing every so often just because we can.

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Martyball cannot die. It held only be held in a torpor like state with a silver Lombardi through the heart:bolt:
    Hey we already have a guy named Igor to assist.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I could not disagree more. The Niners will come out and stack up the running lanes, trying to shut down LT. I think the Bolts will display a balanced attack, but I expect Rivers to throw it 10-15 times in the first quarter. LT's going to be the knockout blow in this one. The passing game will set it up.

I have a hard time imagining a scenario will even be close. The only ones that are going to be making noise in the 2nd half of that game will be us Bolt fans in attendance.

My prediction: 41-10