1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Martz wants Manumaleuna in Chicago

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 28, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Martz wants Manumaleuna in Chicago

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 28, 2010 10:15 AM ET
    As Mike Martz attempts to make the Chicago Bears' offense resemble the offense he coached with the St. Louis Rams, he may be looking to sign one of his former players in St. Louis: Brandon Manumaleuna.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that multiple league sources say the Bears have a strong interest in Manumaleuna, a tight end whom the Rams drafted in 2001, when Martz was their head coach, and who has five years of experience in Martz's offense. Manumaleuna played the last four seasons in San Diego and will become an unrestricted free agent on Friday.

As we noted when a similar story emerged about the Bears' interest in Antrel Rolle, it would be tampering for the Bears to come right out and say they want Manumaleuna, but it's easy for teams to get around the tampering rules by leaking word that they're interested in a player.

Martz has said that a tight end's first responsibility is to block, and if the Bears sign the 295-pound Manumaleuna, that's primarily what they'll ask him to do. The Bears signing Manumaleuna would also be another indication that the team's incumbent starter at tight end, Greg Olsen, is not a good fit in Martz's offense.

We don't yet know which other teams have already contacted Manumaleuna will contact Manumaleauna as soon as the clock strikes midnight Thursday night, but right now Chicago looks like his top suitor.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/28/martz-wants-manumaleuna-in-chicago/

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would love to keep him, but he is what he is and I wouldn't over pay for him

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    All of this talk about available Chargers players going elsewhere make it sound like we are having a fire sale...

Pointy :icon_evil:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Nah, that was the 1993 Padres....:icon_evil:

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is available because his contract is up. We aren't going out and trading everyone or releasing anyone. Everyone who is leaving (Except LT and Cro) is leaving because their contract has run out

6. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I would try to keep him if possible. If Gates goes down, we would need him.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Don't forget about Kris Wilson but I hope we can keep Manumaleuna... :tup:

I like our TE's :yes:

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Well put. Unless Manumaleuna gets a ton of money in chigago i don't know why he'd leave a superbowl contender to play with CUTLER!!!:icon_rofl:

9. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I like this kid out of Pitt that ran a 4.4 at the combine, he is a bit light...but maybe a Dallas Clark Type? Manu is bye-bye....Chris Wilson is fine to fit into his role.