1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Marvin Lewis says Combine prep is "asinine"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 7:37 PM ET

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who showed last year that he's willing to overlook a bad Pro Day workout featuring a shirtless watch-it-wiggle, see-it-jiggle donut run, recently commented on the process of preparing for the pre-draft T-shirt-and-shorts workouts.

Appearing with our pal Dan Dakich of 1070 the Fan in Indianapolis (via SportsRadioInterviews.com), Lewis called the concept of Scouting Combine and Pro Day prep "asinine."

"[T]hey spend three or four years with a strength coach on a college campus and as soon as the season's over they go somewhere else to some guy who doesn't know them from a hole in the wall and pay this guy a bunch of money," Lewis said. "It doesn't make any sense at all. It used to be that they had to pay for it and now it's part of the agent deal. They've cultivated a whole industry out of it. It doesn't make sense. It's actually asinine that if I go to school in Florida, now I have to go to Arizona to train. If I go to school in Arizona, I have to go to Georgia to train. These guys have the best facilities and the best people working with them year round and now all the sudden they got to go somewhere else. You don't need to go away. A football player is a football player."

Though we think the entire process is asinine, the reality is that as long as teams believe that tangible measurements are important, agents charged with getting these guys drafted as high as possible realize that success depends in part upon a great showing in the Underwear Olympics. So while Lewis is right -- a football player is a football player -- the Scouting Combine and the Pro Day workouts don't entail playing football. They require football players to engage in specific track-and-field activities, and the paid experts to whom the players go after leaving school are far better suited to get the players ready than the guys who were responsible for getting them ready to play football.

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Marvin Lewis says Combine prep is "asinine"

AGREE! :tup:

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Marvin prefers that his future players prep in bars, strip joints, gun stores, and on street corners.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't get noticeably excited about the combines. My credulity gets a bit stretched over claims of 4.28 40's. I'd have more faith in this process if they ran these drills with the gear on. Standing broad jump, vertical leap from a standing start and shuttle runs. Be more of interest if they had to do the vertical leaps before they made the return trip on the shuttle. Have 'em run wind sprints to see what shape they're in and time them through successive runs and see how fast or how slow their times degrade.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the original reason for the combine was to get all the players together in one place so doctors and experts could check them out for injurys.

The rest is just t.v. fluff. But I would guess the original idea is still what the combine is about. Find physical injurys and problems before you invest millions into this kid.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The combine is a place for teams to interview & get accurate size measurements on players. Beyond that, it isn't worth much. Any scout worth their salt should have already formed their opinion by now looking at game tape.

If a guy looks unusually good or bad at the combine, then you flag him & review the tapes again. Otherwise, it's just entertainment.