1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews catching up on pass-catching

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee and Chris Jenkins , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS
    August 3, 2010 at 9:25 p.m.

Philip Rivers asked someone this spring how many receptions Ryan Mathews had at Fresno State. Told the number was 19, Rivers was surprised.
    When he saw Mathews deftly handle most everything thrown his way in the offseason coaching sessions, Rivers wasn’t concerned about his new tailback.
    “It wasn’t because he couldn’t do it,” Rivers said of Mathews’ meager receiving totals in college. “They just didn’t throw it to him.”
    While Mathews’ ability to catch the ball was among the chief knocks on him coming out of Fresno State, where he had 268 career receiving yards, a strong spring showed the Chargers he was capable of being a threat catching out of the backfield.
    So it was a little surprising to see Mathews drop a short pass in his first practice Sunday and another, slightly less-catchable throw Tuesday.
    “It was a little adrenaline pumping, a little excited,” Mathews said, particularly of Sunday’s drop. “Better to get them out now in camp than in a game.”
    To that end, Mathews on Tuesday began a post-practice regimen of catching 50 passes launched at him from short range out of the JUGS machine. He said he would do the extra work every day until at least the first exhibition game.
    “I’ve got to settle down and unwind when I’m out there,” he said.
    Mathews underwent a similar matriculation running the ball during the spring, when he looked unsure his first week before adjusting and almost instantly showing why the Chargers moved up in the first round to draft him.
    “When I first got here I was too tense, too much in a rush to try to do something that I wasn’t doing anything,” he said. “When I settled down, everything started working out. I think this is the same thing. Everyone has something to work on. I think I have great hands, but dropping those two passes, not right now. So I’m going to work on it.”

Thomas out

Left tackle Tra Thomas, signed in June as insurance for Marcus McNeill’s expected absence, underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and is expected to miss at least two weeks.
    The procedure is not serious, but the result of wear and tear on Thomas’ 35-year-old body.
    Brandyn Dombrowski has been getting the overwhelming majority of snaps with the first team. Thomas being out will give more work to undrafted rookie Nick Richmond.

Butler hurt

After going down with an ankle injury of unknown severity, rookie linebacker Donald Butler was carted off the field and was being examined last night.
    Butler was a third-round pick in April’s draft. He has been working some with the second team and playing a large role on special teams.
    As camp goes on, the injury report grows, but head coach Norv Turner said the following injuries are not considered serious: Scott Mruczkowski (ankle), Antoine Cason (hamstring), Antwan Applewhite (hamstring), Mike Tolbert (hamstring) and Legedu Naanee (foot). All of those listed missed practice, but Naanee was healthy enough to play catch with Malcom Floyd afterward.

Getting defensive

Lest anyone misconstrue it as keeping score, suffice it to say there were a number of interceptions in Tuesday’s practice.
    Safety Steve Gregory and cornerback Dante Hughes continued strong camps by making two of the picks.
    “I’m excited about what our secondary is doing because there’s great communication going on right now,” Turner said. “They worked awfully hard in the offseason. There’s a maturity level there ... They like the blitz packages we’ve installed and are excited about the chance to make plays.”

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Mathews contract breakdown

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ryan Mathews' five-year contract worth a potential $25.65 million is the second-richest the Chargers have ever awarded to a rookie in terms of guaranteed money.

To fit the numbers under the rookie cap, the deal is actually for six years with a final year that will almost certainly be voided. All Mathews has to do is participate in 35 percent of the snaps in 2010 or 45 percent of the snaps in any of the subsequent four years.

As has been widely reported, Mathews is virtually guaranteed $15,083,500 -- a number that includes a $3 million signing bonus, $911,000 roster bonus, $5,183,750 one-time payout of easily reached incentives, a $5,668,750 option bonus payable on the first day of the next league year and a $320,000 salary for the 2010 season.

The reason the money must be considered virtually guaranteed is that the $5.183 one-time payment must be earned, which it is considered likely to be. However, if it is not, Mathews' base salaries ($3.786 million) become guaranteed.

Mathews is unlikely to actually make the $25.65 million, due to numerous factors.

For one, if he were on target to achieve all the incentives required to make the maximum value of the contract the Chargers would essentially be forced to redo his contract after three years and likely make him the highest-paid running back ever.

That's because, in order to make the full value of the contract, Mathews would have to rush for 1,500 yards every year. (Only Eric Dickerson, among all running backs in the history of the game, has ever started his career with successive 1,500-yard seasons.)

If he does that -- based on escalators that kick in at 250 yard increments between 1,000 amnd 1,500 yards -- he would make an $6.1 million. There is also $250,000 yearly Pro Bowl incentives (which would presumably be a given if he's rushing for 1,500 yards every year.)

Thanks to the escalating salaries awarded rookies, the $15.083 million guarantee trails only Philip Rivers' $18 million in bonuses as the most the Chargers have awarded a rookie.

Mathews was the 12th overall pick this year. Rivers was the fourth pick in 2004.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    For years I have been forced to wonder wtf is goin on everytime PR would use the flat pass to LT?

Glad to hear they got that one down.

Man that is a funny worded contract. Hes gonna get most of it by the sound of it.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Just an fyi, wife and I went to practice tonight and I totally mancrushed on RM. Ryan looks much bigger in person than I expected, he is pretty much our biggest back right now. He is very smooth, very fluid, is not afraid to drop his shoulder in the pile ( he did a few times and appeared to win both battles), and has that "other gear" we have been missing from Tomlinson for the last 2 years. One juke, one jab step, and GONE. Damn, I missed seeing that.

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    How was his pass blocking?

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Well let's just say if PR wasn't wearing red tonight he would have gotten killed on at least 1 occasion. I only saw him completely not read a blitz that one time, but PR gave him a bit of a talking to before the next play.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's what I saw at Sundays practice too RTL. RM has that gear that's been missing in LT's arsenal for the last few years. Has the jukes moves to run through tackles but that 2nd gear and burst of speed once he gets into the open field. I mean just look at what he did at Fresno. I got a really good feeling about this kid....