1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews doubtful for Thursday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Mathews unlikely to play Thursday
    6:45 p.m., Aug. 8, 2011
    Written by Kevin Acee

There are plenty of new players and a few new coaches and some things to look for in the Chargers' preseason opener on Thursday.

But don't look for running back Ryan Mathews.

Hampered by a slightly strained muscle in his upper leg, it appears that Mathews' exhibition season will start late.

"In the early preseason games, we always err on the side of caution," Norv Turner said after Monday's practice, the second straight missed by Mathews and fourth he has not participated in this training camp.

Mathews ran swiftly on the side Monday, and Turner continued to express confidence in the second-year back's health.

Mathews, who played in 11 games and carried just 158 times in 2010 due mostly to a high ankle sprain, has struggled to get going in camp.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    *in before shitstorm*

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    OK, time to audition guys for the practice squad.

4. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Has this bloke been drafted yet does anyone know ?

[​IMG]

Just till Ragin' Ryno is all healed up and ready to roar ofcourse.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Maybe this is just a Norv ploy to keep the kid out of action until later in TC. If I recall correctly, last year there were many complaints over stars not play in the exhibitions. I can't say Norv is that smart to play this game but, something isn't right when a young kid is all banged up already.

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Umm it is Ryan Mathews we are talking about here. I'm sure it's his latest injury to keep him from playing. It will probably be mid-September till he comes back. This poor kid spends more time on the bench injured than he does on the field playing. Ryan "Mr.Glass" Mathews.....hahaha. Hope he gets better and ready for the season though.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Did anyone really expect Matthews to not have some injury issues? Afterall, he didn't play a single season in college where he played 100% of the games. He had some sort of injury that kept him out a game or 2 every year. None were serious, but he always seems to have something small lingering. With the speed and size of NFL defenders, I seriously doubt that changes much.

Don't get me wrong, I expect him to be good. But I also expect him to have nagging injuries his whole career.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not surprising at all. Pre-season week 1 they keep out starters for less, and after not being in game shape at the start and missing some practices.....no need to play him.

We already know what Tolbert is, I'd like to see Todman and Odim get a lot of snaps on Thursday.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not worried. LT played how many preseason games again?

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Look LT never played any preseason games.. there was a lockout and we all knew there would be some guys that were not fully in shape , its a bigger story because everyone wants him to be a bust (other then us Charger fans)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well said.

12. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    All good, as long as he's ready to go and the ball doesn't hit the ground come Sep 11.

• Like Like x 1
  13. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Not as worried we are Pass 1st offense anyways. I am just looking for a mediocre run game.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Chargers will continue two-back approach
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 9, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT

The Chargers would love it if last year’s first round pick Ryan Mathews stepped up and took over the San Diego backfield.

That clearly isn’t happening yet, so they are back to selling a dual backfield approach.

“I don’t know if [Mathews] will be one of the leading rushers because I think the emergence of Tolbert gives us a chance to have a one-two punch,” coach Norv Turner said Monday. “[Mike] Tolbert gives us a nice changeup. Obviously he’s a physical, hard-to-tackle, punishing runner and Ryan has great speed, so it’s a good situation.”

It’s the right idea; Tolbert was terrific last year. With Mathews expected to miss the Chargers first preseason game with yet another injury, we wouldn’t be surprised if Mathews complemented Tolbert this year rather than the other way around.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    there has been tweets floated that some of the coaches prefer Tolbert to RM, but nothing solid. I think once the balls start flying for real, we will know early on who the featured back will be.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I'm not sure it matters, frankly. The platoon system works well enough for many teams. The days of one guy shouldering most of the load are no longer the norm. The season is too grueling, and it's important to keep backs fresh. Giving a guy 300+ carries a year is a good way to make sure their career is a short one.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Has good accel
    Has good balance

Dislike:
    He runs upright
    not great lateral speed
    doesnt have the speed for the next level

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Not a huge surprise, especially if they're veteran players. I don't see this as an issue

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This is one of the big reasons why there is absolutely NO need to draft RB's so high any longer.

Water over the dam now.

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    As of now he really isn't making that 12th overall pick for him seem great. Time will tell though. This is of course AJ's gem of course.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    First it was a toe, now it's a quad. I think Norv is playing games with the league and letting Ryanna chill.

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It's the first bleeping pre-season game, seriously guys? We're going to overreact for this?

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No kidding. Gates is out too, nobody is posting pictures of Vagisil for him.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Gates has been a warrior on the field playing through injuries in great pain......... can you say the same of Mathews?

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Uh...YES actually. He rarely practiced, but he came back 1 week after a high ankle sprain (3-6 week injury on avg) last year to score a nice TD run against Arizona, and word is he was only ever about 80% all year long. He paid for coming back too soon as the injury was allowed to linger, but thats more the fault of trainers.

Not practicing and playing well at 80%??? That sounds exactly like Gates, weather its his new foot issues or his once ailing back that seemed to be a weekly issue. Only difference is Mathews was a rookie who needed practice time, Gates doesn't.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Not exactly, he missed the game prior to his ankle injury...... the Arizona game was two weeks after, not one. He only had 9 carries in that game, and the week after. I wouldn't say they were pushing him too hard, as he didn't see much action. In hindsight, they probably should sat him sooner, but it's up to the athlete to know his own body and tell the coaches if he can't go.

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    After one year? Gates didn't play through alot of pain his first year because.......he didn't get to see the field much. In addition players are held out of the pre-season alot more then in regular season games out of an abundance of caution. No point making dings and dents worse for games with no meaning. This is especially true for the 'starter'.

This isn't Larry English

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He missed 1 game, therefore 1 week in my book. And like when Gates tried to play through his foot injury he was only on the field maybe 20% of the snaps, he was more of a decoy.

I'm a little frustrated too with the nicks and scrapes, but I'd bet he got the start anyway if this game meant anything.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    The thing is, we can make do without him, as Tolbert can handle the carries until he gets back (if it was a real game). Losing Gates is a bigger blow to the offense than losing Mathews. What we've seen from Mathews so far is just flashes of what he's capable of...... Gates is a mainstay of our offense. That's the difference.