1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews' fumbles two of many Chargers mistakes

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Nov 21, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Stat - Ryan Mathews career. 9 fumbles on 288 attempts. One fumble every 32 attempts.

CHICAGO — Turning his back to the rest of the locker room, Ryan Mathews dressed slowly and silently. Surely knowing what people wanted to talk to him about, and clearly not the least bit interested in sharing an explanation with anyone, Mathews twice was approached for comment after the game that turned on his latest fumble.
    Muttering something unintelligible, he walked away. Asked again a few moments later to handle a few questions, he whispered something that must’ve amounted to “no comment,” and then he hit the exit in a flash.
    “When you’re a running back and carrying the ball, that’s your baby, and you want to hold it tight,” said fellow running back Mike Tolbert. “When you don’t, when it gets away from you, it hurts.”
    By no means was Mathews alone in feeling the pain of a fifth straight loss. There were plenty of teammates around him who decried their own play, trying to take the burden of blame on their shoulders, but Mathews’ second fumble of the game was even more crucial than the two interceptions thrown by Philip Rivers in the fourth quarter. Or any of the many other mistakes, for that matter.
    With the Chargers trailing 24-17, more than five and a half minutes remaining in the third quarter and San Diego moving the ball well on the Bears, Mathews was given the ball on the first play of a drive and showed his strong burst for a 6-yard gain. The ball was punched out of his hands by cornerback Charles Tillman, who also recovered the fumble at the San Diego 37-yard line, and all the Bears needed were two snaps to make it a two-touchdown lead.
    “It’s like Ollie (Wilson) always says,” said Tolbert, referring to the running backs coach. “It’s the guy you don’t see who knocks it out.”
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/nov/20/mathews-fumbles-two-many-chargers-mistakes/

2. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  3. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Give Tillman some props - it was a hell of a play!

Ryans head must be all over the place, I hope the people around him don't walk in the room and shout "BUST"

4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    But if the shoe fits...

I still hold out alot of hope for Mathews that he will come right. He needs to considering how much we gave up to get him!

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He has such incredible talent, I don't think anyone on this board denies he is a great runner and getting better at pass catching and blocking. But if he can't stay healthy and can't keep his fumbles under control, he's not worth starting or even being on this team. And what was frustratingly tolerable in his rookie season just becomes frustrating in the second. The injury bugaboo was always with him, he played one full season at Fresno St and that's the year he led the world in rushing yds. The fumble issue I don't recall popping up in college.

6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He should be contacting Tiki barber and find out how he stopped he case of 'fumbleiteus'

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Ryanna was a big blunder and is proving so every Sunday, when he can play.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Someone needs to send the Chargers a copy of the movie "The Program".

LOL what am I talking about the Chargers actually doing something intelligent...lmfao

9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I still have a lot of faith in Mathews. A lot of great running backs had early fumble problems and struggled adapting to the physicality of the NFL.

Peterson, Tiki Barber among others had fumbling issues. And running back is a physical position where players, epescially players who run downhill and initiate contact like Mathews do, and injuries come. Maybe he needs to adapt his style, but this is all part of the growth process. At least the talent is there, that's the most important thing at this point in his career, and at least we have Tolbert who can pick up extra carries while Ryan develops.

It does go to show just how spoiled we are to have had nearly a decade of LT, who was so durable and hardly ever fumbled, really does show what a special player he was.

10. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I have advocated for the entire team to be put under that drill. I don't remember ever seeing a team behave so carelessly with the ball.

I read on NFL some fan told him he needs to control the ball better at an autograph signing:oops:

11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Obviously, those fans words were not heeded... What is that drill where the coach hands you a ball and you have to carry it around wherever you go, and other team mates try to punch it out away from you. If you lose it, you have to buy that player a dinner. If this was really happening, nobody on the team would be going hungry.