1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews has high ankle sprain.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 22, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    After not practicing, Ryan Mathews confirms he has high ankle sprain. But he says he feels "good" and hopes to play at Seattle -- ka

I call BS. And say this is a 4-6 week injury and we need to sign another RB. - matilack.

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I call BS on your BS. You have no way of knowing the severity of the sprain. There are mild sprains and there are severe sprains. I think from what I saw of Mathews on the sideline after jogging back from the locker room, he does not have a sever sprain but who knows. Not practicing Wednesday means little in the NFL. If he doesn't practice Thurs or Fri, then we will know more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I've had high ankle sprains so the term scares the hell out of me. They're almost unnoticable while your walking, but the second you start running the pain is intense, and If not taken care of properly they can be worse than breaks.

I did forget that he jogged back on the field during the JAX game, that makes me feel a little better that maybe its not as serious.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    And you do. Geez, I told you that injurys need to be delt with. Yet all you want to do is send the kid into a game with a injury that will make it worse. And he'll have a hard time playing full speed on it. We all know ankle sprains are bad news.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and when he ran back out, the joint went crazy

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If he's good to go on sunday with no concerns, then let him play.. Other wise why not run Tolbert while he's still on fire from last week? The last 2 games made me realize that he doesn't need to become the next LT instantly, he just has to contribute in a positive manner. If him running the ball risks his health then i say safety first. I think most fans look at what LT did and want Mathews to exceed that expectation but there's no way he can do that in his first couple games...

• Like Like x 1
  7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'd almost rather just see him sit the next 2 weeks.

SEA and ARI are two terrible teams we can beat on the back of Rivers.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We need matthews. But we don't need him playing hurt. Get it healed then let him play. LOng season.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    It sure did. I loved it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I say if he's ready to go, get him in there. If not, I feel very confident Tolbert and Sproles can tote the rock. I think Rivers will pick apart the secondary with the "weapons of mass destruction" we have in the passing game. The Broncos were able to capitalize on a weak Seahawk secondary, we should also. They are however, stout against the run so it will be a challenge establishing it. Gates and M80 might have another big day.

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    High ankle sprain usually is the toughest to heal and its most likely a 6-8 week injury. Guys sometimes go on IR sometimes. Looks like we see more of Tolbert, Sproles and Hester in the next few weeks.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Given that he jogged back on the field before halftime I feel more confident that its not as serious. I've had them before, and jogging is not an option when its a serious high ankle sprain.

That said, we play SEA, ARI, OAK, and STL the next 4 weeks....rest him if we don't need him.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    but only sometimes right? :icon_tease:

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Could be bad. Could be a BB injury report.

Didnt gates play through a High ankle Sprain? I thoguht he did and it nagged him for months into the post season... Could have been the Toe im thinkin of...

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    At least we won't have to worry about him fumbling for a while.

where's the haha smiley?

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Turf toe.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Those toe injuries can end you. Jus ask Eric Parker.

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    High ankle sprains are bad - tricky - long time to heal.

Some 1st round pick eh ?

This dude was known as a china doll in college in that he ended every season injured from my reads.

Wonderful.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bull.

You just chop it off like Ronnie Lott did. :yes:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    All I really care about is that he is there for us in the playoffs... unlike... well... you know who...

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I never said send him in if he's hurt. I never said he should play if there's a risk of aggravating the injury. But everyone is talking like they know the extent of the injury. Ankle sprain is a really generic term. It could be very mild or it could be severe. The only point I'm making is we don't know.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I've had high ankle sprains before too. They can be really bad or a day to day thing. The fact that he didn't come back on the field in a protective boot is a good sign. Like you said, he jogged on the field ready to go, which says to me there was nothing in the MRI that told the doctors/trainers it was bad. That's pretty good news. If the game was not a route, he might have gone back in. After the game Mathews said he felt 100%. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But this did not strike me as real bad.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Remember those doctors are probably shooting his leg up with whatever to numb the pain so a player jogging after a series of shots does not mean anything really other than he is alive.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Thats the thing walking is EASY with a high ankle sprain, its when you put force on the ankle thats the problem.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Mathews says almost word for word what I've been saying....

Ryan Mathews didn't practice - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

"I don't think it's that bad," Mathews said. "I've had a high ankle before, a while ago. It's not as bad. But they're going to do what they need to do to take precautionary measures to make sure something that could be a week, if I don't treat it right, could turn into six weeks."

If I'm Norv I de-activate him this week, then see if he can run full speed with no pain at all next Thursday.

26. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :tup:

Seattle is easy enough to beat without him. But, if he does run with no pain this sunday then I'd give him a couple series to help get him rolling. Yet if there is any chance of further injury, rest Mathews, give Tolbert the ball and smash him down the seahawks throat

27. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Winning in Seattle is going to be tougher than people think IMO and they're very good at home.

If Mathews isn't 100% sit him.

28. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I agree.

I also think the stock market is going to crash tomorrow, my apartment complex will catch on fire, and the world is going to end on December 21, 2012.

29. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    agreed

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Tolbert's better anyways.

AJ shiit the bed in this draft.

17 is all we need to win.