1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mathews has received tweets from fans who hope he dies of AIDS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Chargers RB Ryan Mathews says he’s received tweets from fans who hope he dies of AIDS
    By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner

[​IMG]
    Ryan Mathews received some nasty tweets (USA Today Sports Images)

Running back Ryan Mathews hasn't always produced at the level the San Diego Chargers expected when they traded up to select him with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft. Mathews has struggled with consistency, injuries, fumbles and has admittedly fallen short of what was expected from the player chosen to replace a legend like LaDainian Tomlinson.

Unfortunately, Mathews' struggles have occurred in the Twitter era, and he's been the subject of some vile criticisms on social media, which he shared with Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune.

"I’ve had people say they hope me and my mom get AIDS and die," Mathews said on Wednesday.

Seriously people, get a grip.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself to fill LT’s shoes," Mathews said. "I was trying to live up to those expectations — what he was doing in his prime, all the yards he’s getting, all the touchdowns he’s getting, just trying to live up to that.

"I knew I was the first-round pick, [the Chargers] moved up [16] spots and all that, and I was just trying to do more than what I should have been doing. I think I took all the fun out of it and stressed myself out over it."

While Mathews has been a fairly pedestrian NFL running back, he hasn't been that bad. Mathews has averaged 4.4 yards per carry during his career, totaling 2,476 and 14 touchdowns with 111 receptions for 852 yards out of the backfield. In 2011, Mathews went over 1,000 yards and was sixth in Football Outsiders' DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) metric.

According to Acee, Mathews is leaner entering this season and plans to get back to what he was doing at Fresno State.

"I’m just gonna be myself," Mathews said. "In practice, I’m just trying to focus on what I do. I’m not trying to focus on what would [Tomlinson] do? I’m just gonna go back to like I was playing at Fresno State — just running the ball, catching the ball and scoring touchdowns."

2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Here's an "out-of-the-box" idea for Ryno to try ....................... how about we dump the Twitter account ?

End of problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +416
    So Jackie, can you dump the account you have in my name?

Sent from my Mobile Zin finder!

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Between this and CNN's story about some morons making racist comments about a Mexican kid singing the National Anthem I have a great idea

How about major news organizations grow a freakin brain and stop using internet trolls to make points about the population at large?

• Winner Winner x 4
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I do think it is important to point out ignorance and f'ed up people to the mass population. If it wasn't for the nations populations seeing the terrible racist people in the south in the 50's and 60's, change wouldn't have happened as quick as it did.

I just wish they would actually call out who posted those types of comments to Ryan. Call that a-hole out to the public and let the public tell him how much of an a-hole he is

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I'm noting that the people who make jackass comments like this are AT MOST 1% of the population; but to use that to draw a broad general opinion as to the character of most americans is false reporting at best and slander at worst. Same with the Mexican kid who sang the national anthem, they use trolls to prove that Americans by and large are racist? Really?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I guess I didn't really read the article as if it was claiming it as a broad general opinion. I must have missed that part

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Yeah, the problem isn't crazy fans being assholes. The problem is a sports player using modern conventions.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The South was hardly the only place racism existed/exists so let's squash that right now. It's just a little more prevalent here.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    The article wasn't drawing any conclusions about the general fan's opinion though. It merely reported that he was receiving angry tweets.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not the only place, but the south is where the most violent acts against blacks were, and without those actions hitting the main stream news, change wouldn't have happened in anywhere near the same time frame as it did get addressed

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Like I said, more prevalent, but that's a bit different from saying "terrible racist people in the south" as if that's the only place they exist.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    Some people's children.... *facepalm*

• Like Like x 1
  14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Just to clear something up. The kid who sang the National Anthem in San Antonio, is a second generation American. Carry on...

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

The South was where institutionalized class segregation based on race was in the 1960s during the civil rights' movement. No one is talking about the present, and no one is intimating that the South had (or has, for that matter) a monopoly on racism. A semi-apartheid state/society, however, was certainly in place in the mid-20th Century Southern United States.

As far as the topic at hand, I certainly don't wish ill on Mathews, but I hope that he's been taking his lifting/nutrition/conditioning seriously this offseason or he'll be looking for a new job come January.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    I don't know, maybe considering the point that was being made in the post, I didn't feel the need for even specifying "the South" in this statement

" If it wasn't for the nations populations seeing the terrible racist people in the south in the 50's and 60's, change wouldn't have happened as quick as it did."

The same exact point could have been made by just saying that the populations saw terrible racist people...period.

But, if that wasn't the intent I can gladly move on. I'm just explaining why I replied the way I did.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    I didn't realize it was International Pull Numbers Out of Your *** Day. Since it is, I'd like to say that 12,446% of people agree with me on everything.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    A little more prevalent? Perhaps you should ask some people of color who have lived in different regions of the country about that.

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    I'd guess that the number of jackasses living in the country at any given time remains a fairly consistent 25% of the population. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Are you nitpicking my use of the words "little more"? I mean, I think it's obvious that I agreed with the sentiment that it was stronger in the South and that this fact was beyond my point.

I mean, it's not as though I flat out said it's more prevalent in the South or anything. But I digress.

I don't think people of color like racism anymore just because they're living up North and it doesn't happen quite as often.

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Strong thread hijack going on in here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    2.6% of posters on this site will argue a vague point on this forum until they feel they have "won" (we know who they are, while they argue that they are not "those" people).
    16.2% of the time the post will end in an administrator stepping in and ending the thread with something
    to the effect of "agree to disagree".
    Only 4.9% of threads are "regularly" hijacked on this forum since February of 2011.
    36.6% of my posts use made-up figures/percentages/numbers/etc., meanwhile 29.3% of "regular"
    bolttalk forum users admit to using made-up figures 3.1% of the times that they post said figures, while
    the remaining 70.7% of users will never admit to anything...ever.
    92.3% of "users" of this site will not even read this post.
    Less than 1% of "users" will comment after reading this post.
    This thread currently has 0% connection to any football-related topics and thus should be moved or deleted or locked.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  23. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    As a guy who works in community management, this type of behavior comes as no surprise to me. There are plenty of hateful, brainless morons out there who are more than willing to wish harm onto others over sports, but at the end of the day, that's just part of the deal you get as a pro athlete.

24. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    You were defending the south from getting picked on as if it were the only racist part of America. Racism is not a "little more" prevalent in the South. It's is a lot more prevalent. That's not nitpicking. Those two statements have very different meanings.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    So I guess when an eleven year old American is the subject of hateful, racist comments because he sung the national anthem in a mariachi costume, we should just not talk about it. Yes, obviously, talking about it is the problem.

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Find me someone whose opinion matters or is actually representative of the group in question and we can perhaps draw a conclusion. Only conclusion I draw from this is that random internet trolls can be assholes - i knew that already but i didn't use it to draw a thesis on americans in general or (in this case) charger fans

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I know what my mom would say:

"Ryan, fans who tweet that they hope you and your mom get AIDS and die, are not really your fans."

(a couple of talking head bozos on 1360 were framing this as "an embarrassment for Charger fans" though no evidence was given to this end...)

• Like Like x 3
  28. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    LOL - Every time I found myself in these type of situations my mom would actually sing this song to me.

29. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    You think it's that low? I'd guess the number is about 98%.

• Like Like x 1
  30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    So, you were nitpicking my use of the words "a little more". A simple yes would have sufficed.

And it is nitpicking because you completely ignored the context of the argument you were responding to.