1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews Highlights

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sd-local, Apr 22, 2010.

1. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

Let the bashing begin but when I watch this I see a lot of LT. LT never had blazing speed, he used incredible instincts and vision along with a great cut-back. Mathews is more of a one cut downhill guy but watch some of his bounce-outs, goal line situations and even his reception on the screen and I think you'll see that Mathews can do some of the things that LT did for us in his prime.

Am I saying Mathews = LT? No. But I think he will prove to be exactly what we need. He'll get 4 yards when we need 3 and bring some run stability to our run game (especially with Vasquez improving with a year under his belt).

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I love the fact this dude is a Charger, don't really want to focus on what it took to get him.

3. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    ...and in case I didn't do enough to deserve bashing the first time around I also see some Adrian Peterson when I watch that video. If you see the way he runs (which both LT and Peterson exhibit), it is a galloping motion, gathering forward momentum with each step (as opposed to the straight away speed guys like reggie bush and chris johnson). I think Mathews will constantly move the chains for us, and more importantly set up our passing game with positive first or second down runs.

I couldn't be happier with the pick. The other two running backs I liked were Gearheart and Ben Tate and if either of them were first round talents they would have been taken in the first round. Seattle was pouncing on picking up Mathews if we didn't pull the trigger. Believe it.

4. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
  5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    sd-local, time for you to adopt another bolt. :yes:

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Admittedly I didn't know much about him because I don't watch college football, just what everyone here said. After learning a bit more and seeing those highlights I'm absolutely stoked that he's a Charger. When you think about it, we didn't give up THAT much for him. In essence we only gave up the 60th pick or so(the only significant portion anyway). We moved up 12 spots in the 1st which has got to be worth A LOT, and used the swapping of 2nd from the Whitehurst trade (it was thought we were only going to get a 3rd from this anyway, AJ pwned Seattle there). I was sorta pissed about giving up the 2nd rounder, but it's not as bad as most people are saying, I'm just worried about NT still, but I think something will happen tomorrow.

Holy ****, that's pretty insane. Also gotta love a guy who leaps over piles like that.

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37

That's the spirit:bolt: I don't know why people are so down on the trade. Watch, when Mathews becomes a pro-bowler and cracks the top 3 in rushing yards, everyone is going to forget all about this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    People are down on it because we don't have a 2nd to get a nose tackle. I am partially the same way, but I realize that we didn't give up that much (the other thread with the draft points thing).

9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If Jahvid Best has the better career, I'll remember. If Terrence Cody is there at #40 and has a great career, I'll remember. btw... who's going to block for him? It's not like we still have a Lorenzo Neal on this team.

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :tup:

11. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I think the reason why the Chargers were so bad at running had more to do with LT not being LT anymore and Sproles not being an every down back. I think things will change with a young and hungry tailback in the backfield.

12. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Yep, not a lot of good LoNeal would do when L.T. dives face first over the tripwire that is the line of scrimmage.

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Lt could pick him up and run lt into the endzone:lol:

14. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Fixed it for ya.

15. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!