1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews: "I think I'll be good to go against the Raiders."

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 12, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/aug/12/mathews-targeting-week-1-return/

Mathews targets Week 1 return

One of Ryan Mathews' goals this season is to play every game.
    Despite a broken clavicle, that hasn't changed.

The Chargers running back spoke publicly Sunday evening for the first time since his injury, offering an optimistic outlook about his recovery from last week's shoulder injury, on which he underwent surgery Friday.

[​IMG]

He wore no sling.

He raised his injured right arm to show its mobility.

If not for the bandage that stuck from his Navy blue T-shirt's collar, covering the surgical incision, he looked no worse for the wear.

The team has issued a recovery timetable of four-to-six weeks. He said he thinks he'll be on the field in four weeks for the Chargers' Sept. 10 season opener in Oakland.

"I think I heal pretty fast," Mathews, 24, said. "I think I'll be good in time to play against the Raiders. ... I'm happy it happened now than against the Raiders. It's better that it happened now, just to get it out of the way. It gives me a few weeks to recover and get back at it."
    Mathews said his doctor gave him three-to-six week timetable.
    He plans to continue training as his shoulder heals.

"My legs aren't broken," Mathews said. "I can still do stuff with my legs and everything. It's more just upper body stuff that I'll probably have to shy away from, but my legs work just fine."
    Mathews was injured on his first carry of the game against the Packers.

He said he landed wrong at the end of the five-yard run, and once a defender landed on top of him, he knew something was wrong and met with head athletic trainer James Collins on the sideline.
    An X-ray revealed the broken clavicle, and he had surgery the next morning.

"You work hard and then something like that happens," Mathews said. "But I figure I'm getting them all out of the way right now, and then I'll have the whole season, a long season, to look forward to. ... It's just something that happens. You've just got to walk away from it, kind of laugh at it, and get better."

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Hope springs eternal........ as does wishful thinking. ;)

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well lets HOPE the short time table is a sign that its not a bad break, just one they had to fix immediately so it wouldn't bother him the whole season.

BTW I don't expect him to play week 1, but it's good to hear he should be back to 100% well before we get to the meat of our schedule.

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Six weeks is realistic...... I wouldn't expect the doctors to clear him for full contact before then (unless it's that quack Dr. Chao).

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    LOL this is the NFL, as soon as the pain and inflamation stops I'd expect him to be cleared to practice. 4 weeks is very realistic for a 24 year old professional athlete surrounded by trainers on a day to day basis. I'd bet week 2...3 at the latest he'll be splitting carries with Ronnie Brown.

And really all a player needs is a doc to say the injury won't get worse, and they'll lie about any pain.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Sounds a bit overly optimistic to me...but I like the attitude.

7. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    I hope this does not leave him weak in the arm to cause fumbles at the merest touch, that can be deadly to the Chargers season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If he rushes back and re-injures it, that's another big block of games missed. I have to believe they won't clear him until they're sure he's fully healed. That won't be in three weeks.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well like I said I don't expect him to be cleared to practice the week before the Raider game, and therefore he will not play in the game.

I've never had a broken collarbone, but as people here have said its a pretty damn painfull and rough to recover from. And the nonchalant way he reacted on the field makes me wonder how serious the injury actually was, maybe it was just a minor fracture. Combine that with the initial 4-6 week time frame, plus Norv's comments about him being back in that time, and Mathews' comments today... maybe its just not that bad.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Everybody is different regarding pain.

Our own Jack Frost played his final season of Aussie Rules Football with a broken collar bone and didn't even realize it. But then again, Jack is a nitwit. ;)

11. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Correct BLEW, no way he's back and playing by the Raiders game, thats just lipservice from a guy trying to say all the right things, let's get serious here.

I liked this statement though ......

"I think I heal pretty fast," Mathews, 24, said.

Thats good to know, only problem is, he seems to get injuried even faster !!! :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    hahahahahahaha, I hadn't even seen your post when I wrote mine above BLEW, but that still does blow my mind to this day.
    Now I did only play 6 games with it, so lets not get carried away with my "pain tolerance level" ;)

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Hope he's right....... but he better not come back too early and re-injure himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The dude is an injury and a fumble just waiting to happen. My son fractured his collar bone in his late teens and about a month later did it again. It took about a year after the second fracture for it to heal completely and be pain free so the pain meds are doing the talking for Rygina right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    "I think I heal pretty fast,"

Didn't Merriman say this?

16. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Is it me or is he giving the camera guy the stink eye right???

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I broke mine going up for a header in a soccer game, flipped over the players back landed right on my left shoulder, then a player who was also going up for the challenge with me in the air fell ontop of me as well and I heard a crack. I tolerate pain pretty well, and at first I was on the floor injured holding my shoulder but I got up and played 15 more mins til halftime until my coach noticed my shoulder was slumped. So I believe I was in shock, and thats what Mathews probably went through at first Matilack.

18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    When it comes to Ryan Mathews we all want this guy to live up to expectations. But at this point with him, I don't want to hear about the pain, just show me the baby.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Last I recall, we beat the Raiders rather soundly WITHOUT Mathews. So, I'm not counting on him for the first game. Best guess, and I'm no doctor, is he'll be back vs. the Titans at home.

• Agree Agree x 1