1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews Injury

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Sep 19, 2010.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I heard it was a low ankle sprain. Any word on the severity of it and if he'll be able to play in Seattle next week?

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Just my observation from my seats behind the bench:

I saw when he came back out onto the field. At first, it seemed like he was walking okay. Then a little later he was seen doing some leg stretching exercises and hamstring stretching. That's when I noticed that he was favoring the injured foot and limping ever so slightly. However, I think he could have played if the coach needed him in there. I think that Norv kept him out since the game was relatively wrapped up and he didn't need to expose his new player to any aggravations or risk a more serious injury. I gotta admit though, that bowling ball with legs, Tolbert was gladly plowing into Jagz defenders. Looked a lot like that Turner guy we traded a couple of years ago.

Pointy

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah considering he JOGGED back onto the field in full gear, I'm not too worried. It was a blowout and he could have played if we needed him.

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm more worried about the injury to his ego. This kid better figure out his fumbling problems FAST. He nearly coughed it up a couple of plays prior to his actual fumble. Yo Ryan... you weren't hired to give the ball to the other team. Do you job kid. Fix it or get replaced by the Mike "The Boogie Bowling Ball" Tolbert.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    When he came back out on the field, the place went nuts.

As for the fumbles, the guy he replaced had 3 in his first 2 games. Not too worried. Plus the one today looked questionable.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    they should have got him off his feet and iced or heated it. Its obviosly bruised or sprained or strained. Were gonna need him down the line. WE need him healthy. Were extremely lucky we have tolbert and sproles. A great one two punch. Getting matthews into the rotation will make us alot better. Norv has to figure out we've got three good rb's now and rotate them in situations.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the game is still a blur to him. He needs some time to get adjusted to the speed of the game. He's running so fast his mind can't keep up with his legs. He'll get it. But its gonna take a little bit yet.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Don't you think the team doctors and trainers might know a bit more than you about how to treat his injury? I mean, they do know the extent of the injury (which you do not), they do have years of education and experience that makes them qualified to treat the injury (which i'm guessing you do not).

The internet makes everybody an expert on everything. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Hank Bauer said it was just a day to day thing. We didnt need him so he sat.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The only thing funnier than watching people try to play armchair GMs/head coaches from their computer chairs is watching people try to play medics from their computer chairs dictating how badly injured players are just by watching them on TV.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    who gets the Bill?

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    You could feel the air go out of the place when he went down and when they put him on the cart for the trip to the locker room it didn't look good. A little while later he came jogging out of the tunnel the place went berzerk. Mathews spent the rest of the game with his helmet on running in place seeming ready to go back in...but since the game was well in hand there was no point in putting him back in. Regarding the fumbles, I'm sure the coaching staff will be going over the finer points of ball security and Mathews appears to be a quick learner.

Memo to Norv: Using Tolbert around the goal line is a good thing!

• Like Like x 1
  13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    He should have done that Monday Night but as least Norv learned from his mistakes. Nice victory today and hope to see Mathews out there next Sunday against the Seasquawks! Nice victory today for our Chargers! :tup:

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm just giving advice from expierence. YOu can take it or leave it. I am sort of an expert on injurys having been injured many times. and have had ankle injurys a plenty.. If you've hurt your ankle you get off it. The chargers so called experts have messed up many times. I think in matthews case its best to be smart about it. Ankle injurys are weird things. Because it has to do with tendons and bones and muscle that doesn't nessesarily show up in scans. I'm guessing right now its puffing up around his ankle. You have to treat it with heat or cold to quicken the healing and reduce the swelling. but you should get weight off it emmideiatly.

I'm afraid the charagers medical staff just gave him a shot that keeled the pain and sent him out. Alot of teams so called doctors do that.

15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I don't care if they sit Mathews out for the Seattle game. Norv finally woke up and started using Tolbert (like he should have dome more in the KC game, especially at the goal line) Tolbert ran GOOOOOOOOD. Tolberts only 24 F-N years old !!! He's a definite keeper for this squad for a few more years. I say run him more, let him split carries with Mathews. We don't need Mathews to be the next LT, we just need to win games !!!

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Tolbert reminds me of Jerome Bettis, the guy is fierce.

Mathews is a more dynamic back though, he runs between the tackles as well as any back in the league, and has the speed to reach the edge. Give him a couple more games and your going to be screaming for Norv to get thsi kid more touches too.

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Cut him, he's injury prone.

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    What, those delayed draws to Sproles from the two aren't working for ya?

I swear if Norv runs that play one more time in a critical situation I will lose it.

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    throw him and VJ into a trade while they still have any value

20. smelleyott

smelleyott BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    never heat it. heating promotes inflammation and thats not something anyone wants. if it's not too bad they probably have him on a RICE treatment and he should be fine for the next game.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Take the needle Ryan - "the clear" ... HGH .... it is all good until you get caught so do not get caught.

22. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Don't for get the fumble-itis.

23. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Matthews said on 1090 today that his ankle is a little sore but that he expects to play on Sunday.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

The foot should definitely have been iced, especially since they weren't planning on using him. They should have set his foot into a bucket of ice water and then checked for swelling. Anyway, they might have done just that in the locker room before he went back out onto the field.

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Oh, well you have had ankle injuries. I'm sorry. I didn't know. I guess that makes you an expert on an ankle injury to someone else, when you have no idea the location, type or severity of the injury. I think the staff was smart about it. They did not send him back in the game. Mathews said that when he came out for the second half he felt 100%. What would make his ankle feel 110%? Ice? Heat? Magic wand?

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    geez, if you don't like advice then don't read my post. Have you ever heard of pro sports doctors shooting up players with injurys. It still happens. Alot. OF course he didn't feel the pain anymore. But I bet his ankle is swollen and probably purple or blue right now.

If the staff was so smart why did they have him standing on the sidelines all the second half. Sit the kid down and have his ankle in a raised postion. I know you don't like any advice other than your own so you may ignore this post.

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

Filipinos like me are familiar with Rice!
    :tup:

[​IMG]