1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mathews likely out until October

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Aug 16, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    But Ryan said he's a fast healer. ;)

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's 1 doctor's opinion but doesn't seem overly pessimistic to me. That area absorbs a lot of force & both the bone heal & muscle tone are of concern. No need to push him back into service too quickly only to have another, possibly worse injury occur.

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,720
    And its not even RM's doctor.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I sure hope he gets back sooner rather than later because when he's healthy he can move the chains, problem is he's mostly unhealthy.

6. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    What do the coaches teach you as a kid? Lead with the shoulder when blocking, let him heal til early Nov. don't need to see it get torn up to where he misses the season!

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    I don't want the Bolts to rush Mathews back, I doubt if they will. We'll need him alot more later in the season (and hopefully, postseason) than we will early and with the collection or running backs that we currently have, we should be just fine in the running game until Ryno come back strong.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Ryan Mathews has “no doubt” he’ll play Week One
    Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT

Last Thursday, Chargers running back Ryan Mathews fractured a clavicle on his first carry of the preseason. A week later, he told XTRA Sports 1560 that he has “no doubt” he’ll be ready to go in Week One, when the Chargers face the Raiders on Monday Night Football.

The three-year veteran said that he’s out of a sling, and he believes he’s ahead of schedule. The Chargers initially said that Mathews is expected to miss four-to-six weeks. The front end of that estimate would indeed allow him be ready for the first week of the regular season.

Mathews also explained on The Drive with Costa and Judson that he has been doing some light workouts and will start running again next week.

If Mathews is overstating his timeline for healing, it would make sense for the team physician to be candid with him. Then again, Dr. David Chao may have bigger fish to fry right now.

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Actually when I broke mine, the orthopedist said I have a better chance, once I'm 100 % healed, of breaking the opposite side.

10. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +501
    My money is still on a Week 5 return.
    Based on complicated math and science.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think he'll play in September, but that's not really the issue. The issue is, how will this injury affect his vulnerability to further injuring himself? I don't think that the injury will predispose him to additional risk in and of itself, but the impact that this injury will have on his ability to train/prepare for the season likely will.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    I would take what one doctor who likely hasn't seen the actual medical records nor has seen Mathews' actual path to recovery with a large large boulder of salt

13. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Are you placing all of his prognosis with Dr. Chao? WOW I hope not, keep him out till week 5-6 Blocking is leading with the shoulder.

14. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    This kid needs a break! (excuse the pun.) So much potential but minimal results. I still think/hope that RM can really pay off for the Chargers.

15. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +501
    All will be forgotten when RM scores his first touchdown on Feb. 3rd 2013
    at Superbowl XLVII in New Orleans.
    02-03-13...the date the demons, were exorcised. :tup:

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +236
    I don't believe it. If he does come back he'll in all likelihood re-injury the game he comes back. Which means more absence and more lost of games. The kid needs to prove it or get shipped out to Seattle, knowing them we could probably get the entire team and then some.