1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews makes good impression

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 26, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

The Chargers’ first-round pick draws good reviews after his first practice with the veterans.

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 1 hour ago
    5-26-2010

SAN DIEGO – Ryan Mathews[​IMG] began his first full practice as a member of the Chargers on Wednesday peering at stacks of yellow trash barrels from behind his visor.
    Some of them displayed the Chargers logo.
    He stared ahead, planted his right foot and sliced between two of the barrels.
    Welcome to San Diego.
    The running back out of Fresno State became eligible to rejoin the team after the school’s finals ended Friday. He visited Chargers Park for rookie orientation, but Wednesday morning’s session marked his first chance to work next to the veterans.
    The defenders he’ll face in a few months won’t be as accommodating and immobile, but that didn’t prevent a few positive observations from others on the field.
    If the start of Mini Camp is any indication, first-round pick Mathews already has support in the locker room.
    “The first thing that stood out to me was how big he was. He’s definitely got really good size,” Rivers said. “You see the vision. It comes natural to him.”
    Natural or not, the 6-foot, 218-pound Mathews admitted to combating nerves as he processed a large amount of information, introductions and expectations.
    “I wasn’t expecting how intense it was, but I’ll get used to it,” Mathews said. “My mind’s going 100 miles an hour with all the different plays and the pace. I’m just trying to stay mentally focused.
    “It’s faster pace, bigger dudes. The veterans out there know what they’re doing so you have to be more on your game, but it’s fun. I really liked it.”
    His quarterback and his offensive line already were protecting him.
    Center Nick Hardwick[​IMG] reminded him to smile during practice. Rivers, too, offered some comfort.
    “He knew I had a little bit of jitters, but he told me just relax and have fun,” Mathews said.
    The pair wasted little time connecting. With Darren Sproles[​IMG] working out a tender hamstring on a side field, Rivers flicked a short pass across the middle to Mathews on the first play of 11-on-11s.
    Mathews also worked as the up man during a special teams period and carried the ball several times during team drills.
    Rivers said of their exchanges: “By the end of practice it felt like you’d handed him a billion of them.”

IMPRESSIONS OF MATHEWS: “He retained the stuff (from rookie orientation) extremely well. He’s very, very natural in what he does. He’s got great vision. I’m excited just to get going and our offensive line is excited. We’re going to be a better running team and I think that will help our entire team.” – Head Coach Norv Turner
    “He looks like a real good, versatile back. He looks like he’s already been in the league the way he’s making jump cuts. He’s picking up protection with the help of Philip. He’s a real good back that we look forward to seeing on Sundays.” – Linebacker Stephen Cooper.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :tup:

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
  4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I also heard Buster got tangled with Weddle, and left practice early....

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Ryan Mathews' #24 helmet, from his Twitter pic page.

[​IMG]

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    :flag::icon_toast::tup:

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The hype grows...

Do we believe?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'll wait for full contact practices before I get too giddy, same as I will with Butler, Stuckey and Thomas. It's kinda hardnot to look good when your in shorts and no one's hitting you. Still those are good signs

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Probably broke his fingernail.....:icon_evil:

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Did I read somewhere that Buster hit the ground hard after colliding with Weddle and left the field a bit woozey?. So much so he did not practice the following day.

Also thought I read about the same incident that Hardwick went after Weddle as a result. I guess Nick thinks something of Buster to do that. Count me as a fan of Buster who is hoping he can prove lots of people wrong.