1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews not in practice group

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Chris Jenkins
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Chargers returned to the practice field, but without running back Ryan Mathews, apparently still feeling the effects of his ankle injury. Also not on hand for the opening of drills were linebacker Brandon Siler and receivers Legedu Naanee and Buster Davis.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    First I'll say...told ya so, 4-6 week nagging injury.

Second I would say, its become common place for RBs with lower body injuries to take Wednesdays off as a precaution. Ray Rice, MJD, Adrian Peterson etc... all do it regularly. So I'm not extremely concerned until he misses a Thursday practice.

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think he'll probably be limited thursday, practice friday, and be good to go sunday. Want him to get the start but wouldn't be surprised if Tolbert did. Safety first, right?

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    MANGINA (sounds like Vagina)

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    What does Cleveland's head coach have to do with this?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So I shouldn't believe he's starting to be a china doll?

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Just ask BUST(er). He's on the list to........typical. Mathews can't seem to on the felid lately. Could moving 12 spots have been a mistake?

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    he's had one injury in his 5 week career and we're already placing the "prone" label on him? :rolleyes:

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I thought it was two injuries? Don't forget that Michelin Man arm brace injury. ;)

[​IMG]

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Either way, it's still very early to be jumping to conclusions.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Not around here!:lol:

[​IMG]

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    lulz

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Sore ankle keeps Mathews from being lead tailback

By Kevin Acee
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:07 p.m.

The Chargers want Ryan Mathews to be their lead tailback, getting the bulk of the carries and building on the promise he has shown in limited touches.
    But the same issue that has impeded the first-round draft pick thus far lingers.
    Mathews sat out Monday’s practice with soreness in the ankle he sprained in the season’s second game. While Mathews said the pain is no worse than it was the previous week, Norv Turner has stated he would like Mathews to experience a full week of practice before giving him the bulk of the carries.
    “I’m good,” Mathews said. “It’s just sore.”
    Mathews reaggravated the ankle injury last week and was limited in Friday’s practice before the Oakland game. But he looked strong in gaining 59 yards on nine carries. For the season, he has just 43 carries, 20 fewer than Mike Tolbert. Tolbert is averaging 4.6 yards per carry, Mathews 5.1 yards.
    “They know I’m ready,” Mathews said. “It’s just a matter of time. It’s healing slower than I expected, but I’m OK.”

•Receivers Buster Davis (ribs) and Legedu Naanee (hamstring) missed practice. It is possible one or both will miss Sunday’s game.
    •Inside linebacker Brandon Siler, who did not play last week’s game at Oakland due to a foot injury, missed practice.

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    That's what I look like with my shirt off.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    38 minutes ago - RB Ryan Mathews, who is coming off an ankle injury, returned to practice on Thursday, and he'll likely play this Sunday against the Rams. "We want to push it and get him as many carries as we can," coach Norv Turner said. "I think we will be able to up his load a little bit." Chargers RapidReports

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Obviously he's a bust. Cut him.

18. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    whats the world coming to when HollywoodLeo becomes the voice of reason:eek:;):p

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Obviously. Remember when VJ was the one with Mangina syndrome who should be cut? Then it was Floyd. Now it's Mathews who's a china doll because of one ankle sprain. Classic.

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Optimism regarding Mathews

By Kevin Acee
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.

Provided he can work another full practice Friday, rookie tailback Ryan Mathews will get more carries Sunday at St. Louis.
    Mathews returned to practice Thursday and worked without limitation a day after sitting out with soreness in his still-healing sprained ankle.
    “We want to push it and get him as many carries as we can," head coach Norv Turner said. "He worked last Thursday and obviously was real sore on Friday and wasn’t able to do as much as we would like. I think from watching him today, and hopefully everything goes smooth tonight and he feels good in the morning, that we will be able to up his load a little bit."
    Mathews has shown great speed and moves when allowed to run, but his having missed practice time due to the ankle and having trouble holding onto the ball in the first two games has limited him to 43 carries. Still, he has 218 rushing yards and also 44 yards on five catches, and Turner has been candid about wanting Mathews to ascend to being the No.1 ballcarrier.

San Diego receiver Legedu Naanee missed his second practice with a hamstring injury. However, receiver Buster Davis did practice fully after missing Wednesday with a ribs injury. Davis will likely start for Naanee if he can’t play

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Well am just comparing it to L.T's first season(Seeing as everyone does it when talking about his fumbles) and in L.T's first season he wasn't known as Injury Prone. Hopefully this Kid can get on the field and do some damage.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    L.T.'s first season is irrelevant to the concept of what does and what does not constitute a trend.