1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Mathews' pick was a master stroke"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Apr 22, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Any more questions about A.J. Smith?

The guy is a draft mastermind. San Diego just recharged its Super Bowl hopes on the wings of Charlie Whitehurst.

Yes, Smith knows his way around draft room.

NFL Draft 2010 Coverage

• Seifert: Lions right to pick Suh
    • NFL Nation Live: Draft discussion
    • NFL Draft 2010 section
    The Chargers shook up the draft Thursday night by skyrocketing up the board to take Fresno State running back Ryan Mathews.

The Chargers clearly think Mathews is a special player. This is a very deep running back class and the Chargers were not interested in either hoping Mathews – a big, physical pounder – would fall to No.28 or hoping a second-round pick would be the primary back.

No, Smith zoned in on Mathews early and pulled the trigger.

It all started with a brilliant trade of Whitehurst. The Chargers sent the No. 3 quarterback -- who never tossed an NFL pass -- to Seattle. The two teams switched second-round picks. The Chargers went from No. 60 to No. 40. They also got a third-round pick from Seattle in the deal.

Somewhere in the Mission Valley area, there is a ski mask hidden. Smith fleeced Seattle.

It all set up the Mathews’ pick.

Basically, the Chargers got Mathews for the No. 28 pick. Now, Mathews is in charge of bringing life to San Diego’s run game.

Can he make people forget about LaDainain Tomlinson? Likely not, but he should be better than Tomlinson –- who was cut in February –- was in the last two years. The Chargers had the 31st ranked run offense last season. It caught up to San Diego in the playoffs when it was upset by the Jets in the divisional playoffs.

The Chargers’ are a pass-fast offense and they will always be with Philip Rivers quarterbacking and Norv Turner coaching. But the Chargers need some running-back help if they are going to make the next speed and go to the Super Bowl.

Now, it has a potentially elite running back.

Expect Matthews to be a perfect fit with Darren Sproles. Mathews is the grinder, who will get 20-25 carries a game. Sproles will be able to stay fresh and makes the big, explosive plays.

The Chargers’ offense is now balanced and the team is ready to make the next step.

It’s all because of Smith’s shrewd move.

2. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Horrible trade. We could have had Jahvid Best with #28 and ANYONE ELSE at #40 :banghead:

3. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I didn't know they had a smiley for Best getting concussions in the nfl:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    :lol:

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Here's my take on things. We had a crap run-game and had to rely too much on long second and third down conversions. Mathews is a blessing because he is the top "feature back" in this draft and can immediately make an impact. If we had gotten a defensive lineman, he wouldve just been thrown into the rotation. As long as our defense plays like it did towards the end of the regular season last year, we should be fine.

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Plus it seems like a bad sign that the top seach for jahvid best on youtube was concusssion!!

7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128

I stopped reading there. That is nowhere close to what we paid. We paid a first and a second for Mathews. No way can you ignore a second round pick even if it had been out original one and not the 40th.

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Why does everyone always say we paid a first rounder? Didn't we swap first rounders? How is that giving it up? Also, they forget to mention that we moved up in the 4th and received a 6th.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +468
    Didn't you hear, the rams GAVE UP the number one overall pick for Sam Bradford :icon_huh:

10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    damn. What an unfair trade. The sooners win big while the rams get shafted!

11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I agree. We gave up a second, Dobbins and Whitehurst. That is the actual cost of the move. I have seen teams pay a hell of a lot more to move up four or five spots in the first round, let alone 16.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +468
    not exactly, if you include Dobbins then we got a better forth round pick and an extra 6th

let's say Dobbins for the better 4th and the extra 6th is a fair trade, then we gave up a second (60th if you include Whitehurst) and Whitehurst (and still got a 3rd next year)

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +343
    LMAO!! Well my guess is the fact that if we didn't give it up...IT STILL WOULD BE OURS....:icon_rofl:

14. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    PRobaly not. He'd be in houston, NE or detriot via trade.:icon_shrug:

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I agree. If there is a guy you want that you think can change the face of the club then you go and get him... no matter what the pundits are saying about his value.

After that it's about, did this guy do what they got him to do? If not then the value criticisms are valid. Jacob Hester anyone?

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +343
    We are talking about the #28 pick not the player genius.

Swapping first round picks still means you are giving it up. Just because you are swapping doesn't mean that its not included in the trade.

If it wasn't we would have had #12 and #28....Not real hard to figure out.

17. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Does anyone think AJ has something up his sleave in order to get a pick in the 2nd round??

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Exactly my point. You folks are wording it in a way that makes it seem like we gave up our 1st round pick and didn't get one in return. So let me get this straight it's ok to "move up" in the 4th but not in the 1st? :icon_huh:

19. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    swapping is swapping man. Not giving up. If we had 28 we would be GAINING a pick...

20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    My guess is that those for the pick understand this logic. Those against the pick, don't. :icon_rofl:

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +343
    Really? We could do this all day?

I mean if you use that logic then if you dont have it then you are LOSING it.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My take is that getting that 40 for Whitehurst was a master stroke to be used for an individual player, not to be packaged with our 1st in order to get a RB.

Matthews is a good RB, but I question the wisdom of taking ANY RB that high in today's NFL, much less moving up 16 spots for him.

The sky isn't falling, we got an upgrade to our running game. That's all fine. I just think that AJ does a poor job of managing a draft board.

23. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    No, if you don't have it you already lost it because you

A. traded it or

B. Cheated like the patriots and had it stripped

24. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Very sane. Big up.