1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mathews played through high ankle sprain

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Ryan Mathews had high ankle sprain
    Chargers running back was limited in both playoff games
    By Michael Gehlken JAN. 13, 2014

A high ankle sprain carries a four-to-six week recovery timetable.

Ryan Mathews didn't miss one game.

The Chargers running back was clearly hobbled in the team's two playoff contests, not playing in the second half Sunday of a 27-20 loss to the Broncos. While Mathews declined to confirm, sources said his limitation was the result of a high ankle sprain.

"It was tough," Mathews said Monday. "I wanted to be out there every play just to help them."

He first injured the left ankle on Dec. 22 against the Raiders.

After a brief visit to the locker room, he returned to the field in the fourth quarter and finished with 25 carries for 99 yards and a touchdown.

The next week, he rushed 24 times for a career-high 144 yards versus Kansas City, helping the Chargers clinch a playoff berth.

But the injury appeared to worsen in the postseason.

On Jan. 5, he had 13 carries for 52 yards in Cincinnati before leaving the game in the third quarter. He did not return and missed the entire next week of practice. On Sunday, he gained 26 yards on five rushes but did not see the field beyond the first drive of the second quarter.

Despite the injured end, this will be remembered as Mathews' best NFL season to date.

He was a powerful presence in the run game, racking up a career-high 1,255 yards during the regular season with seven total touchdowns. He also appeared in every game for the first time in his four-year career.

Mathews is under contract through the 2014 season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Gotta admire Mathews' newfound toughness and grit. He's turned into a punishing RB to defend against and I hope he can keep up the great work next season!

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Note to Ryan:

Strengthen those ankles in the offseason, and do specific exercises to beef them up!

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I've had a high ankle sprain sprain before, I'm surprised he played at all! 4 weeks later that **** hurts as bad as the day it happened.

We need a good 3rd string back next year, one closer to Mathews' type than to Woodhead. Good draft for it too IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I really felt bad for this kid and how his season ended. Ryan's body finally caught up to the rigors of pro football, sort of like V Jackoffson's, and then to go down heading into the playoffs must have been a real heart breaker for him. I wish him a speedy recovery and continued growth in this coming off season.