1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews practices in pads.... Gates sits

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Ryan Mathews practices in full pads
    Posted by Josh Alper on September 13, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT

We’re still not sure whether or not this Sunday’s Chargers-Titans game will be televised locally, but there’s an increased chance that running back Ryan Mathews will be in the lineup for San Diego either way.

The Chargers announced that Mathews is wearing full pads in practice on Thursday for the first time since breaking his clavicle on Aug. 9 in a preseason game. That makes five weeks, smack in the middle of the four-to-six week recovery time period quoted at the time of the injury.

The team will give a fuller update on Mathews’ status after practice, so it remains to be seen if this is the team starting the process of getting him ready for Week Three or not. Getting to the point that Mathews is wearing pads during practice is a significant step toward the goal of getting back on the playing field and it suggests that Mathews will have a chance to play this week.

Not all the injury news was so good for the Chargers on Thursday. Tight end Antonio Gates is not practicing for the second straight day as a result of the rib injury he suffered against the Raiders on Monday night. Gates has previously missed practices and played in games so this could be a situation that goes right down to the time when the Chargers have to declare their inactives on Sunday afternoon.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah Gates is a guy who doesn't really need to practice. I'm just happy its not a lower body injury for once.

Not sure about RM. I'd bet he's either inactive on Sunday, or is active but gets only 1 or 2 touches.

3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    there's no way that they give him 1 or 2 touches, unless they give him 1 or 2 touches and then his clavicle breaks again...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    He was healthy and active on the 45 man roster for the 1st Raiders game last year...and got zero touches.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mathews got a screen pass or two and then just left for no reason other than Norv is not completely comfortable playing him, its the kind of half *** measure I've come to expect from him.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    OK....... so now you're criticizing Norv for something you think he might do. :rolleyes:

6. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    ray_of_sunshine_photosculpture-p153622425412029145q9l0_4001.jpg

:p

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Not criticizing yet, I'll be criticizing if it happens. And it wouldn't be a worse decision than activating him for a game and then giving him nothing, I'm giving Norv the benefit of the doubt that he'll make sure Mathews gets tackled a time or two.

8. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Gates already tweeted that he's fine, just resting it, he said he will for sure play.

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    When Gates had all of those foot problems, he wouldn't attend practices, and he would still be suiting up for game day. Let him rest, dude's still a beast.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think it would be a mistake to not let the bone heal a full 6 weeks but that's just my opinion from staying in a Holiday Inn Express. :tup:

But seriously - why not activate Mathews & at least make the Titans have to game plan for him? doesn't mean that he HAS to have any touches & I wouldn't say that it would be a half-assed gesture - more like a full-assed Belichick type of tactical move. Playing a guessing game isn't a sign of weakness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sometimes it sucks to be Wright ..... :(

CHARGERS NOTES: Wright making most of tough situation
    8 hours ago By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO ---- Shareece Wright had a terrific preseason. The second-year cornerback out of USC wrestled away the starting nickel back job from fellow sophomore Marcus Gilchrist and was poised for a strong season.
    Before he even lined up in the slot Monday night against Oakland, injury struck. Wright sprained his ankle on the season's opening kickoff and will be out an extended period. He's been officially ruled out of Sunday's home opener against Tennessee, but Wright is expected to miss a few more than that.
    "It's tough because the season started on such a good note, and I really had momentum on my side," Wright said on Thursday afternoon. "It's a setback, but adversity can do you good. I've been through injury before and I know how to get through things like this."
    Wright missed most of the 2008 season at neck injury, and was out so long he was granted a medical redshirt. Just because he knows how to work through tough situations, it doesn't make them any easier.
    "The first two days were pretty hard, knowing I'm going to miss a few weeks," Wright said. "But it's a long season, and I'll be back. I've got plenty of opportunities to show what I can do.
    "I believe I'll be a little bit stronger and a little smarter than I was before. Right now, I'm trying to take all the positive things I can get out of this situation."
    The Chargers need to get by with the minimum number of cornerbacks. Starters Quentin Jammer and Antoine Cason are available. Gilchrist will play in the slot. Should any of them go down, the Chargers would have to improvise.
    "We've done it in year's past," defensive coordinator John Pagano said. "If we ran out, the next man would have to step up. I think our guys would be ready for a position change should we need it, and we've prepared them some for it during training camp. Guys will be ready. It's not something we're concerned with or worried about."
    The Chargers managed for a bit Monday night, when safety Eric Weddle dropped into the slot while Jammer had his hand examined. That job would likely fall to Weddle or safeties Corey Lynch or Darrell Stuckey in a pinch.
    Dombrowski believes he can contribute
    The Chargers are in a delicate situation at offensive tackle in large part to a freak occurrence. Reserve tackle Brandyn Dombrowski, who has 15 career starts, most of them at tackle, developed a cyst in his foot that has kept him away from the team since late in offseason activities.
    He was projected to back up starting left tackle Jared Gaither, a job that fell to Mike Harris. Harris has been active at the position due to Gaither's back injury, but even he doesn't have a true backup.
    Dombrowski wishes he could help, but he won't be eligible to practice until week 6 or play until week 8 after being placed on the injured reserve "non-football illness" list.
    "I'm shooting to get back this year," Dombrowski said. "It was weird because it was just something that happened at the worst moment. There's little rhyme or reason to how you get them. It's just one of those things.
    "It sucks right now, because you can't do anything about it. It's tough, because it all comes down to bad timing."
    Et cetera
    TE Antonio Gates (ribs) missed his second straight practice with soreness, but will go Friday and is expected to play on Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. NT Antonio Garay (ankle) was a full participant for a second straight day, paving the way for him to start Sunday. LT Jared Gaither (back) remains out, and recently signed G/T Reggie Wells worked out at tackle in individual drills, a good sign considering they have no backup at right tackle. Wells has started 10 games at the position.

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    No need to bring Mathews back into the swing of things on Sunday. I think we'll take car of the Titans at home. Especially if Locker is the QB ;)

I fully expect RM to be back Week 3. Let him get at least a week and a half of practice in. I'd have him active though against the Titans just in case we struggle. But I really don't want him to re-injure himself.

It's been exactly 35 days (5 weeks) since his surgery. I'd give him one more week without a doubt..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Just a reminder, it'll be 39 days since his injury on Sunday. (5 weeks 4 days). They said from the beginning this was a 4-6 week injury. He's only a few days ahead of that schedule.

Edit: sorry SC92 didn't see you mentioned that already.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Norv Turner said Antonio Gates is "probably more ready to play" than Ryan Mathews. Decision will be made Sunday.

Antonio Gates (ribs) says athletic trainers can reduce soreness. "They got some magic stuff now." He was noncommittal. ... Expect he plays.

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,405
    Ryan Mathews says speed of game feels fast. Norv Turner says RM needs practice time. Doubt two limited days were enough. Believe he sits .

16. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Sit RM at least 2 more weeks IMO, losing him for the whole season would be a disaster

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
  18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Just don't blame his fumble on the fact that he returned too early. ;)

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Isn't it funny, that a few weeks ago, certain people were expressing their lack of confidence in this young man, saying we should have picked up someone else. Now it would be a disaster to lose him for the season... Dennis, you realize that this is not directed at you. I think I called it earlier when RM had his injury initially, I stated that you could expect to see a lot of throws being directed at Gatesy early in the season, courtesy of Mr. Rivers...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Who was expressing a lack of confidence in his abilities? I only recall questions about his durability, and the wisdom of basing your running game around a feature back.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Durability and fumbling are my gripes. How many games (or snaps) will it take until the next injury or fumble?

22. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I like the logic of "well, at least he got the injury early so that's out of the way"...
    Because you know...he can't get injured again:whistling:

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I hope they gave Rygina a super duper sized maxi pad to practice in.

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    :whistling: