1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews ready to protect and serve

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

CHARGERS: Mathews ready to protect and serve as feature back

Gregory Bull

Chargers running back Ryan Mathews proved last season that he can be an effective receiver, catching 50 passes. Now he must prove he can help protect quarterback Philip Rivers in passing situations. GREGORY BULL | Associated Press

June 13, 2012 7:00 am • By ROB TERRANOVA rterranova@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO ---- He's ready.
    Entering his third NFL season, Chargers running back Ryan Mathews said he has embraced the increased role the Chargers would like him to play in their offense.
    "I can't wait to take the challenge head on," Mathews said Tuesday in the midst of an organized team activity. "I just really can't wait to get out there and work and show what I can do."
    Mathews displayed both promise and flaws during his first two seasons after the Chargers selected him with the No. 12 pick of the 2010 NFL draft. He rushed for 1,091 yards and averaged 4.9 yards per carry in 2011 while also showing his versatility by catching 50 passes for 455 yards. But Mathews was rarely on the field on third down, the result of his struggles in pass protection.
    That has been an area of focus for Mathews this offseason, especially with Mike Tolbert, last year's third-down back, now playing for the Carolina Panthers.
    "He's getting there," Chargers running backs coach Ollie Wilson said of Mathews' progress in pass protection. "From a technique standpoint, he's pretty sound. He knows who to block and how to do it. But we really can't evaluate him in pass protection until we go live and start hitting. That happens in the preseason, when we work against our own and eventually work against other teams in the preseason games. That's when the real test will come."
    The acquisition of veteran running back Ronnie Brown will certainly help ease Mathews into his new role. The former Miami Dolphins star will see a fair amount of playing time, given his ability to run the wildcat offense and keep opposing defenses off balance.
    "I think Ronnie is a guy who is really good at certain things," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "And I think one of the things that we've been able to do with our system is take advantage of a guy's abilities."
    Mathews said he welcomed the arrival of a veteran presence like Brown.
    "I can't wait to pick his brain and just see how he works," Mathews said. "That's the main thing, just see how a true vet that's been in the league for several years and has been successful, see how they work and how they prepare themselves and everything. I can learn a lot from him.
    "He will definitely make me better."
    Mathews said this won't be the first time Brown will help him with his game.
    "I remember watching him in high school," Mathews said of his days at Bakersfield West High. "We started running the wildcat, and my high school coach put me in it and asked me to watch the way Ron did it, and we basically based all the (wildcat) plays off him."
    Even with Brown behind him, Mathews will most likely receive 20-30 carries a game this season after averaging just under 16 during his first two seasons.
    Wilson believes he's up to the task.
    "I feel good about this group," Wilson said. "I like Ryan as the main guy."
  2. Thomas

Thomas BoltTalker

May 10, 2012
    Just stay healthy dude. Stay healthy.....
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Feb 3, 2012
    He will either perform adequately in pass pro or he won't, and he'll either be healthy the whole season or he won't. We'll know the first week 1. Hopefully we'll know the second after the last game of the year.
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    He's joining law enforcement? :confused:

I would've thought football would be more lucrative and less dangerous.
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006