1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews talks about becoming a Charger

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Apr 2, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
  2. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Of course he does when he's on SD radio. I'm sure he's just as enthusiastic about the Texans on Houston radio too.....and if he had the choice, he'll go there because it's a higher pick $$$.

I like him....But I'm starting to get on board the Ben Tate bandwagon more....IMO he'll do everything Mathews will...and will allow us to address D-Line in round 1.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm sorry but what D-linemen do you think deserves to be drafted at 28?

Cody? The fat sloppy walking red flag who only got in shape because he smelled a 1st round NFL contract?
    Odrick? Just another 3-4 DE to throw on the pile.
    Alualu? Again, another 3-4 DE to throw on the pile.
    Price? I love the guy but he's like Glenn Dorsey, he belongs in a 4-3.

Sure Odrick would be a small improvement, but Martin and Ngwabuo can hold their own already. I would definitly take the best RB on the board at 28, be it Mathews or Best. And hope Cody falls to 40, and if he doesn't....shed a quick tear and draft Cam Thomas, Torrell Troup, Rodger Saffold, Jared Veldheer or maybe a guy like Devin McCourty if he falls.

4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be upset with us drafting Mathews if he falls to 28....but I wouldn't trade up to get him either.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree, A.j. hopefully with the first two picks will get players that are mentally and physically solid.

WE've been hurt with unstable first rounders for a bit and its slowed down our progress of building the team. Cromartie, cb davis. And now were still waiting for wr davis to get his sheet together. Use the early picks on menatally tough and physically tough players that can play. Hopefully that lesson has been learned.

To be unfair and look at who we could have gotten instead of cromartie we could have gotten micheal ohr the very good o-lineman. Or instead of cb davis we could have gotten polamalu, or instead of wr davis we could have gotten d-end woodley. Its all looking at what could have been. But the lesson is you have to get the solid menatlly and physcal player. Not who on paper looks good.

Its really looking like you have to look at what the player did and was in college to know what your gonna get. The player will only go bad if they have chinks in their armor when they get those millions so you've got to look at the players college career on and off the field.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Neither would I. But if we miss out on him I'd still consider Jahvid Best over any of the DT's.

Best is the type of guy who could not only replace Sproles, but has the raw talent to be an impact player in this league. The question is, can he stay healthy. And we could take Tate or Gerhart later on to compliment him.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I would take Tate over Best any day personally. He does more and comes without the added risk of his career ending way too early. When you've had a concussion as serious as that, one more could be it....and they happen far too frequently in the NFL.