1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews tells everyone to "shut up"!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    ;)

Mathews ready to 'shut everyone up'
    Written by Michael Gehlken

Ryan Mathews has attracted his share of criticism.

The five fumbles in each of his first two NFL seasons. The ankle injury that forced him to miss four games as a rookie. The failed conditioning test at the start of training camp in 2011. Pass protection issues.

It's time for his play, the Chargers running back said Thursday, to silence it all.

"I'm just waiting to step my game up," Mathews, 24, said following a morning walkthrough. "Being able to have the guys around me and be in shape, it's like, man, it's time to go. It's time to get ready and, basically, to shut everyone up."

Wednesday took him closer to that goal.

He took his conditioning test and, unlike with last year's version after the lockout, could talk about it afterward with a smile.

"I passed the conditioning test five times before I passed it yesterday," Mathews said. "Just being able to work with (Jeff) Hurd, our strength trainer, has helped me out tremendously. He's done a lot to prepare me for this season and get me in shape, ... and that's what I was. I think I did a pretty good job."

Mathews rushed for 1091 yards and six touchdowns last year, averaging 4.9 yards per carry. He also caught 50 passes for 455 yards.

Coach Norv Turner expects Mathews, entering his third season, to build on his second, part of the "normal maturation of a young player."

"He came out of school early and has had to overcome some things," Turner said. "He's had some nicks. He's had to learn that this is a different level, and I think he's improved every step along the way. At times, you're going to have adversity in this league. It's not about having adversity. It's about how you handle it, and he's handled it and responded each time.

"The things he's been through has made him better. I think he'll have fewer of those rough moments, but anyone who's played in this league knows, it doesn't matter if you're in your third year or your 13th year, they're coming.

It's how you respond to it."

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Who does he think he is, Philip Freaking River's now?

3. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I like a player who feels confident and comes off like he's full of piss & vinegar

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like a player who backs it up.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I watched his interview with Marty Caswell. The guy gives me the impression he thinks everybody is out to get him/attack him and so he seems to have this protective wall up. If you look at the body language in the interview he doesn't want to warm to the interviewer/camera. Like everybody said he better put up now or get off the stage. I want to see the guy enjoying running for 200 yds against the Raiders, with a smile on this face, loving being a Charger. This me against the world BS is not healthy nor will it help his production I reckon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Actions speak louder than words, all you have to do is go out and prove it Ryanna.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't see Ryan Mathews mentality as any different from guys like Michael Jordan who took every slight to heart.

I bet you could go through most of the best athletes of all time and more than half would seem a little insane or dilusional. The belief that they were the "greated of all time" is what gave them an edge in competition.

9. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    who will have more rushing yards at the end of the season?
    Mathews
    Brown
    Battle
    Rivers:p

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Don't fumble and stay healthy. Then I will shut up.

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    I thought you were talking about Cason for a second there. ;)

12. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Agree with that Buck.. Time to put up or shut up this season is his chance! But like I said I like attitude.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm ready for Ryan to shut up.

DO SOMETHING THEN TALK.

14. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Ummm...I think that's what he means by "It's time to get ready and, basically, to shut everyone up."

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Talk is cheap and he hasn't proven shyte yet. Getting ready to do "something" has to be followed by an action and in this case nothing has been done yet.

16. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, it's impossible for him to do anything more than say he wants to do it at this point, as there are no games schedules until a few weeks from now. But it's never to early to start getting on his as* for some.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    He doesn't "have" to say anything, I'm sure 100% of Bolt's fan want this kid to succeed, there, I have no question. His nonchalant approach to training and failing his fitness test last year spoke louder than any words he can say. Two days into camp is hardly a time to boast about what has yet to happen if it even materializes at all. I'll wait and see what happens before I proclaim a great year for Ryanna.

• Agree Agree x 1