1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews To San Fran?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Pointyearedog, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    49ers to speak with Ryan Mathews, Mark Ingram if Gore leaves town
    Posted: 02/23/2015, 07:00pm | Scott Sutton, Digital Editor at Sun Times Network

The relationship between the San Francisco 49ers and their franchise-leading rusher Frank Gore has been chilly at best as of late, and it now appears the team has a backup plan should Gore hit the road.

According to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, the 49ers are looking at San Diego Chargers running back Ryan Mathews. Mathews is set to become a free-agent in March, and could be a much more cost-effective move for the 49ers than signing Gore, who wants money in the $4 million per year range.

From Niners Nation:

Cole emphasized that Gore remains their first choice, on potentially a one- or two-year deal. He suggested Gore would be looking at $3 million to $3.5 million. The NFL free agency negotiation period begins two weeks from today, at which point agents can officially speak with other teams. Deals cannot be signed until March 10, but this period makes it easier for deals to be figured out.

Mathews played just six games last year due to a slue of injuries, including a nagging ankle injury. When he played he still managed to rush the ball 74 times for 330 yards and three touchdowns while averaging 4.5 yards per carry.

The report also says the 49ers could be interested in signing soon-to-be free-agent Mark Ingram. He ran for nine touchdowns and 964 yards in 13 games last season, and could prove to be a solid complimentary back to someone like Carlos Hyde.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Won't hurt my feelings none......see ya!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    What kind of person does it take to hate a football player only because he can't stay healthy?

Work ethic issues? Nah
    Off field issues, arrests? Nah
    Lack of production? Nah

I've never seen a guy so widely reviled in this town simply for getting injured.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Well, I can think of another who also played the same position because he happened to get injured during the playoffs a couple times.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Just what I was thinking. I am sure there are some who still hate LT to this day... Oh and dont get them started about how he was not a team leader and would sit on a bench pouting the whole time he was in SD...

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So, you noticed that too. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    F'n amazing isn't it? :tdown: Like a guy can do anything to prevent an MCL injury.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I don't hate him but I sure as heck won't miss him. He's welcome to go to SF, I'm sure the team will be completely understanding of a RB that can't stay healthy and fumbles repeatedly

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Many young RBs have fumbling issues early on, and many veteran RBs drop a couple after returning from injuries. Nothing Mathews did in this regard was unusual.

That in mind, he only had 2 fumbles last year in over 250 touches. There are elite RBs who couldn't say the same. It was an issue that was clearly getting sorted out.

What disgusts me is the exuberance I see on message boards and Twitter and the radio from Charger fans who've convinced themselves it's a good thing that we might allow our most talented RB to walk away for nothing, because of something he can't even control. The correct emotions are pity for Ryan Mathews, and concern at what resources it will consume to replace him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He hasn't had any more of a fumbling problem than any other RB in the league for 3 years now.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It would be a mistake to just let him walk but I wouldn't get into a bidding war either. His fumbling isn't something I even think about with this kid, staying in the game playing to his ability is my peeve. Other than that, I'd try and keep him with the right contractual obligations fair to both sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't hate the guy for his injury issues but it's definitely something you need to consider when trying to decide how much to pay him to stay.

The fumbling "problem" however, is way WAY overblown by some fans. He had a fumbling problem his first two years when he fumbled 5 times each season. Since then he's gotten it under control and doesn't fumble any more than any other RB in the league (on average). But since those first two years stick out in people's minds any time he does fumble they think it's a pattern that it no longer is.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Fumbles? How many years has it been since Mathews had more than 3 fumbles? I will answer for you, 2011. He resolved his fumble issues so if your going to bag on him, why not make it something he hasn't successful worked on and made better?

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    My basic thoughts on RM24.
    Great kid, has talent, vision and ability.

Bottom line, if he cant be on the field he cant help us. I hate it but it is, what it is....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    I don't want him to go but I'm concerned about his ability to stay on the field nothing else. It's not his fault but if it isn't meant to be then maybe it is time. I'd prefer he stays for the right money.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Can someone tell me who didn't get hurt in the Bolts O backfield????? Need more beef, it's good for what ails you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Should the Bolts even consider doing the old switcheroo? Gore for Mathews.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm not going to deny the importance of the line, but at the end of the day somebody still has to cary the ball. And if any Schmo could do it behind a good line then they wouldn't be giving millions of dollars to talented people to do it.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Alright then, according to you, how many Schmo's went down in the Bolts O-backfield???????? RM wasn't only man to fall if I recall.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Not sure what that has to do with what I said.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Beats the hell out of me, I brought up O-line, you brought up Schmos.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I addressed the offensive line in my post. Saying it was about Schmos is like saying your post here was about Hell.

23. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    Mathews is a very talented back, our offense is light years better when he plays. Problem is he doesn't play that much. I don't hate him by any means, but its beyond foolish to expect a full year out of him at this point. Even if we re-sign him at a friendly price, we still need to draft one relatively high. Sorry, but he just hasn't proved he can stay healthy, and we can't afford another year of production from our backs like 2014. I'd rather draft one and save the $2 million it will probably cost to keep him and put that money somewhere else.

24. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    To argue that Mathews isn't talented would be foolish. A line of an old addage is: The world is full of unsucessful men with talent. From 2010 thru 2014 Ryan has missed 20 regular season games. This is a killer for our offense. The game of football is a performance driven job and Ryan isn't on the field enough to perform!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    And when he is on the field this team is better for it. This isn't a Buster Davis or Larry English situation, there is more to weigh here. And we definitely shouldn't be celebrating his potential exit, as some fans are.

26. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Some fans definitely are not "celebrating" Ryan Mathews potential exit, but some fans are definitely mourning that possibility. Let's not use the straw men defense, ala Busted Davis and Larry "the lemon" English, as a way to advocate for Ryan Mathews' re-siging. Have we really come to that point that we have to set the bar that low?!

In his case, I trust the FO and the coaches more so than any fan's opinion, whether pro or against. Ryan has put his dues into San Diego Chargers as best as he could and he has now earned his free agent status. If he decides to do what is best for him, I for one will not heed to this nonsense that we ran him out of town.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    SF would do better with ingram, but that would mean they spend 2 mil per yr more on the younger and less banged up ingram.

Which could be by the sound of what they are offering Gore RM could b signed longer and for the same 3.5 per.

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    It's not a straw man argument, Davis and English were also injury prone 1st round picks. The difference is they were completely useless on the rare occasions they did play, so I understood the relief of my fellow fans when we finally cut bait.

And it shows a great deal of ignorance that many of us are treating Mathews the same way.

29. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    If and when compared to those two "bums" it is indeed ignorance same as if and when compared to LT. He will be assessed based on his own achievements and his own merits and if it is decided to let him walk, I will not lose any sleep over it, same as if they decide to keep him. In his particular case, I really do trust the GM, FO and the coaches more so than anyone else's pontification for or against him!

P.S. I can't stop laughing when I see that some people blame his past injuries squarely on the OL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    Mathews has had more than his share of injuries. He's not a spring chicken. When do RBs hit their prime in the NFL? Is he past that? I figure if we re-sign him he probably won't play all 16 games a year... we would be fortunate to see him in 12-13 so that means either (1) giving B- Oliver, Donald Brown or Woodhead the starts, (2) drafting a RB or (3) signing one free agent. I would not want to go into the season expecting Mathews to play a full season and well isn't that what you'd pay big bucks for your RB to do.... be a FULL TIME BACK? Just hoping he stays healthy isn't a good enough reason to re-sign him at a premium price. I think that unless we can sign him for cheap then we move on, draft a RB and call it a day. I like the kid but you if you can't stay on the field you aren't help the team.