1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews vs Dwyer

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Feb 14, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Ok so we all know that we need a RB in this years draft. In this post, tell me who you like better, Ryan Mathews or Jonathan Dwyer and say why you like that person better. Here are some highlights of both of them...

Personally, I love the way Mathews runs because he is a very physical runner. He has speed, great vision, moves, and power. IMO he is the back who will have the most success out of this years class. Definitely the most complete back in this years class too. And think about this, in only 12 games he achieved over 1800 rushing yards, while splitting time and he had only 1 game this year under 100 yards rushing.

Now it's your turn to ramble.. who do you like better? And say why

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Ill be a happy charger fan if we end up with EITHER of these guys

I prefer Dwyer a little more because hes much more powerful, but ill be happy with which ever one ends up here

3. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Ryan Mathews #21 RB
    Hometown BAKERSFIELD, CA
    Height 5-11
    Weight 220 lbs.
    Age 22
    Class Junior
    CAREER STATS
    ATTEMPTS 534
    YARDS 3,280
    TOUCHDOWNS 39

Jonathan Dwyer #21 RB
    Hometown MARIETTA, GA
    Height 6-1
    Weight 235 lbs.
    Age 20
    Class Junior
    CAREER STATS
    ATTEMPTS 517
    YARDS 3,226
    TOUCHDOWNS 35

4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Yea we definitely need a RB to just compliment our passing game at least. I would assume that we need to spend our 1st round pick on 1 of them or else they wouldn't be available. Plus the Dline class has a lot of prospects so RB in the first is probably going to happen. Think there is any chance of Spiller dropping this far?

btw how do you make this into a poll vote? anyone know?

5. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    umm NO!

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    So the obvious choices would be one of these two... IMO mathews is a no brainer

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Mathews.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Mathews offers more of an edge in the passing game from what I've seen and he simply looks a more elusive. I almost think, with the right blocking, he could be a fantastic edge rusher along with the force he uses running up the middle. However, Shonn Greene pretty much has convinced me that power should be more important than speed and I think Dwyer fills that component. I'd be thrilled with either of them, really.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Every scouting report I've read on Mathews has given him the highest possible grade at running between the tackles, and the same can be said for Dwyer. So what gives? Well Dwyer is not nearly as good outside the tackles, nor is he as elusive in the open field as Mathews.

So the right answer is Mathews. When you watch the video of Mathews in the 1st post, count how many times 1 man is able to bring him down.

10. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Agreed but even though I also like Mathews a lot better, some may argue that Dwyer has better vision because he finds the hole fast. He lines up from a FB position most of the time and has a lot less time to find the hole and to gain speed. But playing in that goofy offense he played in, people didn't really see what he could do other than run.

Mathews played in more of a pro type offense and we also know how he blocks and catches. Both have around similar speed but the combine will give us definite answers. But yes, Mathews is very hard to bring down. He even compares himself to LT and we know how well he worked out for us. I still say Mathews all the way

11. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Either would make this offense much, much better, but don't forget the fullback situation. LT blames the loss of Lorenzo Neal for some of his decline. I'll buy that argument. We need a bad-*** FB to make some running holes.

12. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    +100:tup:

13. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I was in the Matthews camp early on. But now find myself leaning towards Dwyer.

Two reasons: While they both run between the tackles and are tough to bring down, I try to think of how that would transfer to the NFL level. Whereas Matthews seems to just "run through" guys... I like how Dwyer will lower the shoulder, use the straight arm, etc... Also seems to get lower through the hole, and Matthews running style is a bit more upright. If you watch them run...you'd be surprised that Dwyer is actually 2 inches taller...Matthews looks taller(more upright) when carrying the ball.

The 2nd reason is burst. While Matthews is probably faster overall... I really liked what I see out of Dwyer in that burst, he sees the hole and explodes through it. Many times Dwyer is 6 yards downfield before the defense was ready to react.

In addition, Dwyer played a much tougher schedule (although Matthews DID perform well against bigger schools). So Dwyer played more NFL caliber defenders than Matthews.

14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    We could probably get one in the last round if we really needed to but we just spent a 4th round on Hester... even though he's a bust, he's probably not going anywhere. IMO we should draft or sign a new TE and switch Brandon Manumaleuna over to FB... That will help open up holes for hopefully Ryan Mathews next year.

BTW, you think if Sproles leaves, we will get McCluster?:icon_shrug: Mathews/McCluster or Dwyer/McCluster would be great tandems IMO.

15. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I swear to god i thought Mathews was 6'1 or 6'2 when i watched him during the season and didnt find out he was only 5'11 til last month when i started looking up the draft online. The entire season i was comparing him to Ryan Grant and Fred Taylor because of his running style and size :lol:

16. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Brandon Manu looked patheticly bad this year when he was asked to block out of the FB spot. I dont think there is any chance he becomes our FB any time soon

Also, we used a #2 on hester

And as for McCluster, i guess he would be a good replacement for sproles, but it wouldnt surprise me if we can get Best in the same spot to replace sproles. With how bad that injury was, he could easily fall to the 3rd round.

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    McCluster huh? Ole Miss right? IF Sproles leave and we have another 3rd/2nd due to a trade, I would hesitate to pick up McCluster as a replacement but ultimately find it worthwhile. I'm sure McCluster will pick up steam at the combine.

18. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    ^^^^^^^^

19. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Not after he runs the 40 in the combine. You think Al Davis will let a guy that fast fall to the 3rd? Helllll no! :lol: Best won't fall out of the first round, imo.

20. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    :tdown: ANother carreer ruined by the raiders:no:

21. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Just my O but I dont like the way Mathews is so upright running. I like a more compact stance protecting the ball. Once out in the open its fine to stand up tall and stretch. Call me crazy, I just dont like his mechanics in the first few seconds of touching the ball.:no:

22. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh but its not like dwyer is any better in that dept!

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    People had the same questions about Adrian Peterson....1. Runs too high. 2. A couple injuries in college. 3. Passing game. And Peterson does struggle holding onto the ball. :unsure:

On that note.....Ryan Mathews has ZERO FUMBLES in 3yrs (553 touches). I like the way he tucks the ball before contact, he is a pain in the *** to bring down, and he has the speed to reach the edge. Yeah, I'm on the Mathews bandwagon.

24. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Count me in... I will really be disappointed if we don't get him

25. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Trade Sproles and Cro to another team for a first and draft TWO RBs in the first! :flag:

26. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    or draft Mathews and Dan Williams :yes:

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Beautiful Dreamer,
    Wake unto me.
    Starlight and drew drops
    are waiting for thee.

I might hope that someone would be that dumb, but it ain't likely. I keep vacillating, but I'm on the Matthews horse now.

28. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Good. As long as he doesn't fumble i'm down. I'd hate to have an AP in the championship game like the vikes and have him fumple 18 times in 1 game!

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    though peterson had more success then just one year, Matthews only just now burst onto the scene

30. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    AND, Peterson was thought of as the best back in the draft hands down..

And Matthews is ranked, 2nd, 3rd, 4th? He's not the clear cut best back in the draft, and he'd played against smaller school's than the big 12.

Night and Day, In My Opinion.

And I like Matthews. I really do. But let's be realistic.