1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews vs Tomlinson : the most important stats

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Aug 12, 2010.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    These are the most important stats Mathews has to improve over Tomlinson

Tomlinson's career playoff rushing stats

2009 vs jets : 12/24, 2.0 avg, 0td
    2008 vs colts : 5/25, 5.0 avg, 1td
    2008 vs steelers : 0/0, 0.0 avg, 0td
    2007 vs titans : 21/42, 2.0 avg, 1td
    2007 vs colts : 7/28, 4.0 avg, 0td
    2007 vs patriots : 2/5, 2.5 avg, 0td
    2006 vs patriots : 23/123, 5.3 avg, 2td
    2004 vs jets : 26/80, 3.1 avg, 0td

Total
    8 (potential) games
    96/327, 3.4 avg, 4tds
    Average per game
    40.8 ypg, 0.5 td/gm

Of course LT didn't play in some of those games, but that's exactly the point, LT seldom contributed in the playoffs, hopefully Mathews does better

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Reminds me of Marty's playoff record. FAIL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the only stat I care about right now is how many Lombardis we have as a team, and right now its nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    i don't care about that stat period end of quotation
    I'm tired of hearing about mathews vs LT

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    So who do you think is better Ant? Mathews or LT? :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    i care about 1 stat - a "W" in our column for the last game of the season.

It's a team game. Individuals can go to the HOF. Teams win championships.

7. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    How about Brees vs Rivers? or Flutie vs Brees? :icon_tease:

Norv vs Marty? :icon_shrug:

8. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    BTW. for those of you that don't care about LT vs RM (but still replied) if LT had played in the playoffs the same way that he played in the regular season this team might have a Lombardi by now. That's why I think these are important stats, it measures how much the RB contributed to winning a Lombardi.

I don't care if Mathews breaks LT's records, all I care about is that he contributes more in the playoffs than LT

9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Just to be fair...The Superbowl we SHOULD have won was the 2006 season. LT lived up to the hype of being the NFL's MVP and had a monster playoff game against the Patriots that year and the stats above don't even reflect his receiving yards. Just about everone BUT him melted down in that game to lose it. He melted down AFTER the loss and I can't really blame him. There was no way we were going to lose to the Colts that year at home in the AFCCG with the number 1 rushing attack in football vs. the worst run defense (statistically) in NFL history.

If we are going to blame anyone for losing out on a Lombardi it should be (in no particular order from that 2006 game): Marlon McCree, Marty Schottenheimer, Drayton Florence, Nate Kaeding, Eric Parker, Shaun Phillips.

1 less dropped pass, fumble or boneheaded play or call from any of the above group and we win that game AND the superbowl that year.....and most of the credit for that "missing ring" would have rightfully gone to LT had they succeeded.

If we're going to blame our running game, throw Michael Turner under the bus too because he didn't do chit in the AFCCG in 2007 when he was needed most against the Patriots.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    How about we re-visit this thread in about, say 9 or 10 years??... Then, we can come up with some fair comparisons.

Pointy :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Michael Turner's heroic effort as primary running back in the 2007 AFCCG.

WEEK OPP RESULT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

CONFERENCE @NE L 21-12 17 65 3.8 12 0 1 5 5.0 5 0 0 0

12. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Agree, I'm not actually blaming LT, mainly I wanted to point out that it doesn't matter if Mathews' rookie season is better or worse than LT's or anything like that, what matters is how much he can contribute in the playoffs, since LT didn't do much the past 3 years.

Ultimately, any contribution from Mathews in the playoffs will be an improvement

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Well said man. That's exactly what I was thinking. Stats, schmats. I know Mathews is going to do well and if he stays healthy I say he'll be OROY, but give me a LOMBARDI! That is the only Stat I care about and we have zero. :(

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    If the Chargers go to a 3 Tightend set with Mathews in the backfield when we get first and goal, I am going to expect a touchdown every time.

15. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    for those of you that say that you only care about a Lombardi and not about stats

how do you expect a team to win a Lombardi if it's key players don't contribute to winning (which means putting up good stats)?

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The LT era as a player in SD is over, unless he signs a one day contract in a few years to retire as a Charger.

Snap shot over.

new Snap shot.

The Ryan Mathews era begins. It is a whole new beast, I will let his work stand for him, not try and make artificial comparisons... But that is just me, the rest of yall carry on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    you can keep the stats if that is what you want to do. I'll sit in my seat cheering them on to a win, because that is all that counts. Would you rather have a player with a bunch of records and no Lombardi, or a player with a Lombardi and no records?

• Like Like x 1
  18. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Of course I cheer for the team, but good "stats" from the key players contribute to the team success.

Rivers throwing for 300yds/3td gives you a better chance of winning than him throwing 100yd/0td/3int.

You can't say I don't care if they play horrible as long as they win, becuase if they do play horrible chances are they won't win

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

I am not disputing that. What I said was that I could care less what the stats’ say. All I want is a "W" in the very last game of the Season; you know that one that has a bunch of Roman Numerals associated with it. It seems that the only ones who really care about what the stats’ say are the ones who play Fantasy Football, and as long as we win with Rivers throwing for 400 Yards and with 4 touchdowns, with 5 plays over 25 yards then everything is good.

A win is a win no matter how you got there.

I work with stats every single day, and you can twist and turn and skew the stats to say anything you want, if that is what you wanted.

20. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

It sounds like the Chargers will be using the three tight end set alot more than just goal line and running out the clock situations.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/06/more-tight-end-formations-being-used/
    Bolts using more tight end formations
    By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Friday, August 6, 2010 at 9:42 p.m.

Kris Wilson lined up wide right, Randy McMichael tight on the same side and Antonio Gates in the slot on the left. Tailback Ryan Mathews stood a few yards behind Philip Rivers before breaking wide left, emptying the backfield.

The Chargers used three tight ends on just 38 snaps last season, but if training camp is any indication they will use it much more this season. And in varied ways.

“I’m just anxious to see what defenses try to do,” said Gates, who is defended by defenses as a receiver much of the time anyway.

“… You can’t leave all these defensive backs out there, because then basically we have the running game to our favor. We have three tight ends who can beat linebackers. It’s forcing (defenses) to decide: ‘Do you put linebackers in the game? Do you put extra safeties in the game? Do you leave corners in the game?’ It’s got options.”

The increase in the look is made possible by the fact that the Chargers have three quick, pass-catching tight ends and is partly to try to make up for the anticipated absence of wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

“Absolutely,” head coach Norv Turner said. “It’s a combination … Vincent is not here, but Gates is awfully good on the outside.”

Most teams use three tight ends in a run formation (the Chargers ran 30 times in the set last year). But McMichael, signed this offseason, was at one time one of the league’s top pass-catching tight ends. Wilson is probably the fastest of the three and showed last year he can catch well.

Rivers’ face lights up as he talks about the possibilities.

“We can run every play out of that because of the guys we have,” he said. “… We’re playing around with it. We’ll see where it takes us.”

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

Plus they have practiced using Mathews as the Quarterback out of that formation.

22. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't play fantasy football, I know what the last game of the season is called.

my point is that LT did nothing, in the last 3 years, to help his team win in the playoffs (which his stats show, but just watching the games was enough), Mathews has to contribute more than LT did, that will give the team a better shot at winning the big game

• Like Like x 1
  23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If we can get just good stats out of EVERYONE, we can win the whole enchilada. No one has to be a superstar.

Teamwork :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I hope everyone has good stats. I just dont want to let myself get into a rut of holding a mirror up to RM and hoping to see a young LT.

25. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Speaking of running backs did anyone see Michael Bennett last night? He was the leading rusher for the Raiders with 68 yards and a catch for 33 and looked really good. I think that guy was good player and had a lot of gas left in the tank.

Preseason doesn't mean jack but it is nice to see him catch on somewhere even if it is the Raiders.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I did notice that. Kinda makes you wonder a bit, doesn't it? :unsure:

27. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The only stats I want out of Mathews is First Downs and Touch Downs...

Postseason wins and Super Bowl wins...

[​IMG]

I just Love this Team... :abq2: