1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews would love to go to San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Bill Williamson

INDIANAPOLIS – Ryan Mathews admitted that his eyes opened wide when San Diego cut legendary running back LaDainian Tomlinson on Monday.

There is a job opening in San Diego. Mathews wouldn’t have to travel far to fill it.

The Fresno State running back is from Bakersfield, Calif. He admitted Friday at the NFL combine he’d love to get the opportunity to replace Tomlinson. He said he has talked to team this week. Expect San Diego, though, to talk to several running backs at the combine as its tries to figure out who will replace Tomlinson.

Mathews is up for the task.

“I’m a homegrown California guy, it would be great,” Mathews said. “They have an opening there. I hope it works out and I can go there.”

He has a chance. The Chargers have the No. 28 overall pick and running back will be of the team’s top options. Mathews will likely be available when San Diego picks.

“I really think it would be a great fit,” Mathews said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/10378/fresno-state-rb-would-love-to-go-to-san-diego

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    You know how I feel about Mathews! :yes: :tup:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I am really beginning to like Matthews. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Of course he does. He sees an opportunity to move up to the 1st round and get a much bigger paycheck at #28 than later in the 2nd round.

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    This is such great news!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Dude is a solid running back. I hope the Texans and Patriots pass on this guy so he's there at #28. Then there's the NT situation which might mean we'll pass on a RB in the first round. If we do that, I can't see Mathews falling to us in the second round.

Needless to say, I'm not getting my hopes up for Mathews or Jahvid Best. We might not get a chance to draft either one.

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Pats have more needs then a RB and so do the texans. Mathews will be there for us and we will definitely pull the trigger.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Taking a RB in the 1st it pointless as long as Norv is the HC of this team. The player will go wasted running into a line that cannot open holes, and will just end up running dive plays over and over again. we need to address other positions in the 1st 2 rounds and get a RB in the 3rd (like Blount).

Although I really like Mathews, taking him would be pointless

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't know about pointless. Remember LT was taken in the 1st round. You pick a RB in the 1st round when you really want an impact player at that position and we need one. I predict it will a RB we take with that 1st round pick but I could be wrong.

10. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I hope we do not take a RB in the first. I want a big, nasty NT first. Then we can worry about a RB.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    it does appear clear that Norv WANTS to run the ball, I guess he wants more balance. But yeah they need A) a running back who's more effective currently and B) their line has to play alot better in the run game

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Depends on who is available at that time. The top NT's will be taken before we get to 28 I think. If theres an impact NT take one, but the top 2, Dan Williams from Tennesee and Terrance Cody from Alabama might not be there. I think you can get a good one in the later rounds. This is not only a great RB draft but a great DT draft as well. My guess is we go RB in the 1st round. But it's all up to AJ and his scouts. Heck, he might get someone we totally don't expect like when he drafted Larry English. I was like, "who the heck?" AJ can be unpredictable sometimes.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I think Cody will be there, he lost alot of ground because he showed up fat and sluggish at the senior bowl. He appears to be doing better at the combine but still he went from being a late first to maybe a late second. We could still take him in the first but that's alot of money on a guy who hasn't played more then a bare majority of plays in a game that also has weight problems

I agree that NT should be addressed prior to RB but if Cody remains a second rounder and Matthews is there, it might be preferential to take the running back who is a higher value over reaching for a nose tackle.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't believe Norv wants to run the ball. I think he just knows he has to run the ball, and does it as little as possible.

We had the 3rd widest margin of difference between total running play and total pass plays. And we have nearly a 400 play difference between us and the #4 team

Some may say we don't run because we can't run, I tend to think we can't run because we don't want to run.

Team Rushing Passing Difference
    Indianapolis 366 601 235
    Arizona 365 594 229
    Seattle 395 609 214
    Chicago 373 563 190
    Detroit 409 585 176
    Philadelphia 384 553 169
    Houston 425 593 168
    San Francisco 371 528 157
    Washington 391 533 142
    St. Louis 411 543 132
    New England 466 592 126
    Tampa Bay 403 525 122
    Atlanta 451 570 119
    Denver 440 558 118
    Green Bay 438 553 115
    Dallas 436 550 114
    Pittsburgh 428 536 108
    NY Giants 443 542 99
    Kansas City 438 536 98
    San Diego 427 519 92
    Minnesota 467 553 86
    New Orleans 468 544 76
    Oakland 410 485 75
    Jacksonville 447 519 72
    Baltimore 468 510 42
    Miami 509 545 36
    Buffalo 424 441 17
    Tennessee 499 476 -23
    Cincinnati 505 477 -28
    Cleveland 498 443 -55
    Carolina 525 465 -60
    NY Jets 607 393 -214

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think we are a passing oriented offense, but like New Orleans proved you have to have some kind of running game to keep defenses honest and pick up the 3rd and shorts. I prefer a balanced attack but obviously this is a pass first offense. If we rebuild this backfield the way I want it, it will be yet another thing defenses will have to worry about. Nose tackle is a priority but my gut feeling is AJ will take one in the later rounds. There is a plan in place and him and his scouts have probably been doing their due diligence for the last few months. Can't wait until April!

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    NO was far from being pass 1st. They were the most balanced offense in the NFL. #4 in passing and #6 in rushing. That is far from being a pass oriented team.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's what I was saying. We should be more like New Orleans with a more balanced attack. I didn't say New Orleans was a pass 1st offense. And why do you try to keep debating me? Are you really "Trumet Man" is disguise?

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Not trying to debate you, sorry if that is the way It comes across. Your post made it sound like you were saying we were a pass 1st team like NO, and I was pointing out that they are not pass 1st.

I agre we need to be more balanced, but I also believe that it won't happen under Norv. The quantity of running plays may be close to the quantity of pass plays, but IMO he uses the running game as nothing more than a decoy to set up the pass instead of as an actual weapon like NO does

19. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Nah Cody may not be there. He showed up to the combine and lost 16 lbs since the senior bowl. He is down to 354.

He probably just moved himself back into the 1st round. If he loses more and it's announced before the draft look for him to be back in the top 20 picks. This guy would be nasty at about 340 and a good work ethic.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am not sure he will keep the weight off once he hits his big payday, that is the problem and is why I don't want anything to do with him early in the draft

21. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Well I wasn't implying that we should draft him. I was simply telling Ant that he atleast showed that he cared, and is trying to drop pounds. The scouts will probably see it the same way and someone will take a chance on him in the first.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, I just hope it isn't the Chargers. I want a NT bad, but he has fat lazy bust written all over him

23. super17

super17 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    :tup:
    I wouldn't spend a fifth rd pick on that guy

24. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    In Miami and SF he never had a QB and never had a choice but to run the ball. In Dallas, he was a OC and did what he was told. He now has free reign to do what ever he wants, and that has cost the running game, while helping the passing game. But the team as a whole hasn't been any better. A balanced attack is needed if a SB victory is in our future

26. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I agree he is a potential bust for sure....as is everyone who enters the draft could have bust written all over them.

Here is my take on Cody....IF someone could light a fire under his ***, and keep him around 335-340 and get a good work ethic, get him to lose the Randy Moss syndrome of taking plays off, this guy has the gift and technique to be one of the most dominant NT in the NFL for a long time to come. Those are VERY BIG IF's, but IF it does happen he could be another Jamal the Wall in someone's elses 3-4.

I think we will go CB/RB with our 1st and possibly high 2nd (for Cromartie if we get one) and maybe a Cam Thomas in the late 2nd or 3rd. If we do go CB/RB in the first and high 2nd I am looking at Patrick Robinson/Jonathon Dwyer or Ryan Matthews combo.

I would love to have Iupati or Ducasse but we just have to many holes to fill at RB/CB to get either of those two. I think that Ducasse will eventually take over as the first OG off the board and go in front of Iupati.

27. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Another guy I really would like us to snag is either Myron Rolle or Major Wright.....

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    from what I heard, he was told he had to lose weight in college in order to be considered a 3 down player, and he couldn't even get down to 350. So I think getting to 335-340 would be unrealistic.

I doubt we get a 2nd for Cro, unless we package him and our 2nd to move up in the 2nd. I think we get a 3rd for him. IMO, we need to trade him and Phillips for as much as possible, 3rd's at the worst, that would give us 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and would allow us to address RB, CB, NT, ILB, and DE

29. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I kinda have to agree at this point.

Even though he might weigh 2000lbs by draft day I think Mt. Cody would be a good first round pick so we don't have a Shon greene repeat next yrer right up the guy:icon_shrug:

If he ways 500lbs he'll be like almost twice the size of any o lineman lol!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I want mt cody

[​IMG]