1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Nov 30, 2010.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Any word on when this guy is coming back from that high ankle sprain? The combo of a healthy Tolbert/Mathews/Sproles would be deadly. Tolbert and Hester doing a great job in the running game, but that change of pace quick/shifty runner in Mathews would be awesome. Any word?

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Injury reports come out on Wednesday I believe...

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    does anyone else think that right now, Tolbert is playing better than Mathews? I mean... Mathews has been injured and all but Tolbert has been doing extremely well. I say keep running more with Tolbert, but still give Mathews some carries so that he has enough NFL experience to make a playoff/sophomore surge. I don't really care if Mathews doesn't live up to what we expected this first year, as long as he is there for us in the playoffs and helps us get to the big game, then it was worth the 1st round pick

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont think we have seen what mathews has to offer. His first game out he got a high ankle sprain. Those take time to get right. He has shown the flash, once healthy I think he will be a big factor.

I want both Mathews and Tolbert. Thunder Bolt and Lightning...

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    as long as he comes back 100%, and hell he will have fresh legs when he does come back.

6. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    Make no mistake, Matthews is the future at running back, his size and speed make him the ideal back for our, or any other system for that matter. As stated earlier, high ankle sprains take a really long time to heal and can be aggravated easily, especially on turf. With what Tolbert has been showing us lately, I say stick with him until their is no doubt that Ryan's ankle is 100%.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :thumbup:

8. NJS

NJS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    We've got to let Mathews get 100% fit, no niggles, no little problems, nothing. Let him take his time, even if it means coming back for only one or two games late in the playoffs. What matters is his long term ability to help us, not the next few games, which, realistically, we have a great chance of winning. Especially with Tolbert playing there is no point risking RM yet. Let him rest + develop.

9. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    My thoughts as well...get the ankle sprain healed and then destroy the opposition during the playoff run. Tolbert and Mathews together could be highly destructive!

10. mainstayjames

mainstayjames BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Agreed.

And I pissed myself when I saw your signature. Nicely done!

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I rofl'd at your sig

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    While Mathews gets healthy, why not run a few with "Boonah" Brinkley? I mean he is on the roster, healthy, and another fresh set of legs to carry the rock. Just wondering...

Pointy

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    he did great against Denver, and was in towards the end of the Colts game

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I hope he doesn't start the rest of the season. He has to earn he's job back and Tolbert right now deserves it. Kid is becoming injury prone and Chargers need to keep him on the bench because he'll just ruin the flow of the run game. Right now Tolbert is earning he's money and Mathews as not the entire season.

15. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't have a problem with Tolbert starting, but Mathews gives you that change of pace and in this league you need 2 quality backs with different styles to win these days imo. The days of the 1 RB are over. LT/Turner now Tolbert/Mathews. Mathews is a stud. You will see when he gets healthy.

16. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    hahah that sig is sweet!

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
  18. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    With Tolbert softening up opponents D he deserves the starts. When Matthews gets ready he'll be a great changeup back. Yeah, I know...Duh! My login drop window keeps getting behind the blue bar.