1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mathews

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ekdog, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +26
    What's the word on Ryan Mathews? Are the Chargers playing down his injury?

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I'm sure they are downplaying it, as all teams do this time of year. But Mathews did not getting any special attention from the trainers during the 2nd half of yesterday's game. He wasn't limping badly. It had probably just gotten bad enough that he didn't think he could be effective any longer. I expect he'll play again this week and probably get 15-20 carries.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    ^^This.

And with Ronnie Brown stepping up big time, he didn't have to put himself in a position to get hurt anyworse than he might be. I am worried about next week though. He was a big reason we were able to go into Denver and win. If he can't should too many carries, then it will be harder to keep the ball out of Manning's hands.

4. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I doubt it, Denton.
    Look, nobody more than me would like to believe that they aren't "playing down" Mathews' health,
    but c'mon, you're really going to choose to pull a guy who has been white hot lately, only 33 minutes in, in favor of a
    32 year old back averaging 3.5 ypc in 2013…in a tight playoff game (Chargers were losing 10-7 when Mathews stopped playing) ?

Doesn't make sense. As far as "Brown stepping up big time," well, until that great run 57+ minutes in,
    Brown was averaging 2.7 ypc (19 yards on 7 carries) so, of course, a healthy Mathews would be much preferable to that.

Now, I'm not saying there's some big conspiracy to fool fans here, or that I think Mathews is badly injured.
    My guess is that Mathews was in significant pain the 1st half, they worked the muscles at halftime a bit,
    deciding to see if he could go in the second half…and he attempted exactly ONE carry 3 minutes into the
    second half and never returned. So yes, let's get him some rest. But to say that you pulled your best runner
    at the mid-point of a tight playoff game just to spread the load around, is a bit far-fetched.
    Hopefully Mathews' ankle is good enough for Denver Sunday, but he was obviously out of the second
    half yesterday for health reasons.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Mathews won't get better, until he stops playing and gets an extended rest. Right now, all they are doing is trying to manage his ankle so it doesn't get much worse. He wears a boot during the week, and is limited to one day of practice (Fridays). I expect he may get a shot before the game, and goes for as long as he can be effective. Yesterday, he had to shut it down earlier than we would've liked. We can only hope that he can last longer in Denver.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
  7. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +293
    McCoy said there wasn't anything wrong with him..... but they pulled him because "it was part of the game plan".....
    Well played, Mike. ;)

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,170
    Well if RM24 is healthy and gets minute eating yards in the next game, he will look the genius...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +492
    ABN (anyone But Norf) >>> ABM (anyone but McCoy)

ABMers SUCK! :helm1: :abq1: :helm1: :abq2: :helm1:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1