1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Leinart benched for Saturday; could be done in Arizona

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 26, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Matt Leinart benched for Saturday; could be done in Arizona

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 26, 2010 3:24 PM ET
    For the second time in three years, it looks like Ken Whisenhunt is giving up on Matt Leinart as a starting quarterback before the season even starts.

Whisenhunt announced that Derek Anderson will start Arizona's preseason game this week against the Bears. Matt Leinart will come off the bench late in the second quarter and play into the second half.

Whisenhunt stressed the change wasn't necessarily permanent, but it doesn't take a genius to see this is now Anderson's job to lose. The third preseason game is every team's chance for a final "dress rehearsal" for the season.

As ESPN's Mike Sando writes, "Whisenhunt would not demote his starting QB in third week of preseason if he thought that QB had earned the respect of the locker room."

Leinart played only nine snaps last week, and now he's not even starting. (It looks like NFL.com's Mike Lombardi had great information here; there's got to be a big chance Leinart doesn't make it to Week One now.) Whisenhunt is essentially giving up on Leinart, no matter how this move is spun in the short term.

It's at this point we feel like we have to mention a tip sent us earlier today, warning us that Leinart was told Anderson was already the starting quarterback. We didn't feel confident passing it along at the time, but the tipster just earned some major points. So now we can't ignore the second part of the email.

The source claimed that Leinart was told the Cardinals were working on a trade to Seattle, where Leinart and Pete Carroll could try to party like it was 2004. That's certainly just a rumor for now, and sounds a little off the wall.

Then again, the idea of Derek Anderson opening the season as Arizona's starter sounded off the wall just a week ago and now look where we are.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...enched-for-saturday-could-be-done-in-arizona/

2. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I saw a small part of the Cardinals game the other night. They interviewed Leinart on the sidelines about his rough night and he just came up with excuses and nonchalance about the whole thing. He said it was just pre season. Yeah, that's true, but on the other end of the scale you have Philip Rivers running down and making a TD saving tackle. There's the difference between a leader and a loser in a nutshell. Leinart's attitude sucks. he'd better fire up and get his head thinking straight or else he's done.

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Leinert just doesn't have it, plain and simple. Doesn't have that drive and fire imo and will probably end up to be just like old time Seattle Seahawk QB Rick Mirer. Great college qb, but sh-tty NFL QB. Anderson at least will give you the effort. I think Whisenhunt is seeing what I was seeing. Leinart just doesn't give a damn and thats too bad.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol: Derek Anderson :lol:

Arizona needs to suck it up, show some sack, and give Lienart at least the season to prove himself. Really? after a 4-6 performance in a preseason game they're gonna throw in the towel on him, again, really? Morons.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    They SHOULD trade him to arizona, for a real QB, CHARLIE WHITEHURST!!

Pete Carroll would get his QB of the future :lol: and arizona would get a real QB who could start right away. They tried to sign him during the offseason, just not as hard as seattle, now they can fix that mistake

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I am not sure if I believe the whole Seattle rumor. They spent way to much on Whitehurst. If they ship Hasselback to the Cards then maybe. I think the fanbase would raise too much hell if it happened though. The Cards just need to call Jeff Garcia and get him up to date so he can start by week 3.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol: Charlie Whitehurst :lol:

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't know RTL, I always felt there was something lacking with Leinart. I knew when Warner retired that the Cards would be in trouble since they would have to give the ball to him. I know it's preseason and they should give him a chance since they invested so much $ and time, but the clock is ticking on the guy. Some guys just weren't cut out for the NFL. And remember, he's been in the league what 4 years now so he's no rookie either. Hey, at least Anderson shows more fire. But Charlie Whitehurst? Man, you would think he was a former starter with all the pub he gets. You see, AJ DOES know what he's doing. :yes:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    My giveadamn must be broke cause I dont care at all... :lol:

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I don't understand why the Cards have been willing to cut him so short so early constantly. This is like the third year the Cards stopped him midway through the pre-season. At least see what he can do for a few games

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I agree only because of what the alternative is. They will not win a division with Derrik Anderson so they might as well give Leinart the chance.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Matt Leinart bristles at his benching

Posted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2010 12:55 PM ET
    On Thursday, the Cardinals unexpectedly (but hardly surprisingly) demoted Matt "Three and Out" Leinart for the team's third preseason game. In his place, Derek "High and Outside" Anderson will start against the Bears.

On Friday, Leinart discussed the situation, showing precisely the same maturity level that has landed him in his current predicament.

"I don't know how you judge performance when you have 13 pass attempts to the other guy's 40," Leinart said, per Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

But, Matt, it's not about the other guy. It's about you.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt has seen far more than 13 pass attempts from Leinart in training camp practices, offseason practices, in-season practices, preseason games, regular-season games, and even postseason games.

But at least Leinart hasn't become discouraged. "I believe that I'm going to be starting that opening game," he said. As to a possible trade if he doesn't win the job that he's now losing, Leinart said that "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Matt? Look to your left and then to your right. You're on that bridge right now. And if you're not careful you're going to burn it down.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/27/matt-leinart-bristles-at-his-benching/

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Matt Leinart isn't a great QB, he might not even be that good. However, he has very little chance to succeed in Arizonia.

The Raiders gave J Russel plenty of time to show he was a bust and J Russel shows less NFL skills than Matt L.

The Denver Broncos and now the Bears throw Cutler out there giving him a starting job, which he still has, even when he leads the league in intereceptions he still gets to play again. Even with his horrible attitude he is still a starter.

Now we have Vince Young who looked bad in preseason a couple of years ago. He goes insane, tries to kill himself and injuries himself. Yet he is a starter. He is dumb as a rock, cannot read defenses, is injury prone, and litterally can only be in a couple types of formations or else he gets confused. VY is a starter.

All were given a chance.

Matt L was given a couple of regular season games, then he split time with Warner who he lost to. Now he doesn't do well in preaseason and his time his over.

The Cardinals just showed the NFL how to NOT develop QBs and ruin any chance a QB has. They need to keep picking up other teams developed QBs (Crompton in 2012) because they obviously can't develop any of their own.

15. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    This is the NFL, you dont get handed a starting spot, you have to earn it, and obviously matt has done nothing to earn it. Im sure if he showed ANYTHING in practice, they wouldnt be this worried about him, but to me, them trying to sign whitehurst in the offseason, and the benching now means that in the past few years, he hasnt proven to them hes anywhere near being a quality QB. Whisenhunt knows a good QB when he sees one, and clearly he doesnt like what hes seeing in matt.

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Oh, the humanity!

Pointy :icon_rofl:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this :icon_toast:

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Give Arizona a year and they'll trade for Crompton and hand us a first rounder :yes:

Arizona has done some great things but they don't know squat about training a QB, even if the QB in questions isn't any good

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yup, the Chargers are a 3rd String QB factory....:yes:

20. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    That isn't true.

J russel, V Jackson, J Cutler all showed severe weakneses. Yet they are starters.

The entire subbing of Matt and Warner a couple years back where one would play in certain situations just shows how little the HC of the Cardinals knows about QBs.