1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Ryan Offensive Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Deb, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Rookie Ryan rewarded for helping key Falcons' turnaround

Associated Press
    NEW YORK -- Matt Ryan is more than the face of the sensational turnaround by the Atlanta Falcons. He also is the best member of a superb rookie crop, earning The Associated Press 2008 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award Tuesday.

[​IMG] Matt Ryan, QB
    Atlanta Falcons

2008 Statistics
    Comp. pct.: 61.1
    Yards: 3,440
    TD/INT: 16/11

The quarterback from Boston College, selected third overall in April's draft, was a landslide winner in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. Ryan became the third quarterback in five years to win the award; before that, no quarterback ever took the honor.

He joins Ben Roethlisberger (2004) and Vince Young (2006) as top rookie quarterbacks.

"I'm certainly flattered," Ryan said. "There's a number of guys who had great rookie seasons this year, so to even be mentioned in that light is nice. It's certainly a great honor, and I think it speaks to what we did as a team this year."

Ryan was chosen by Atlanta as the centerpiece of its rebuilding effort following a dismal 2007 that saw quarterback Michael Vick incarcerated for dogfighting and coach Bobby Petrino leave after 13 games for Arkansas. A starter almost from the first snap he took in preseason, Ryan was brilliant in leading the Falcons to the playoffs with an 11-5 mark a year after going 4-12.

"I think that's the biggest thing. We had success and we were able to get a wild-card spot, so that was the huge thing for us this year," Ryan said. "Now that we're in we have a chance like everybody else. Hopefully we can make the most of it.

Ryan ranked 11th in passer rating at 87.7 and had 16 touchdowns to go with 11 interceptions. But it wasn't the numbers as much as his command of the huddle and his cool under pressure that impressed his teammates, opponents -- and the voters.

Ryan collected 44 votes, far in front of Titans running back Chris Johnson with three. Broncos tackle Ryan Clady had two votes and Bears running back Matt Forte got one.

The balloting doesn't indicate the outstanding depth of the rookie class on offense. Running backs Steve Slaton of Houston, Tim Hightower of Arizona, Ray Rice of Baltimore, Jonathan Stewart of Carolina, Felix Jones
    and Tashard Choice of Dallas, Peyton Hillis of Denver, Kevin Smith of Detroit and Jamaal Charles of Kansas City all were contributors. So were wide receivers Eddie Royal of Denver, DeSean Jackson of Philadelphia, Davone Bess of Miami and Donnie Avery of St. Louis.
    Another rookie quarterback, Joe Flacco of Baltimore, helped lead his team into the playoffs.

Add in tight ends John Carlson of Seattle and Dustin Keller of the Jets and the strength of the first-year crop is impressive.
    And Ryan was the cream.

"Obviously the big question was how well Matt would perform as a rookie quarterback," Falcons veteran linebacker Keith Brooking said. "We knew there'd be bumps in the road, but it's unbelievable what he's done in such a short period of time with the guys on our offense."
    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

2. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    He deserves it. :yes: :tup:

3. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yeah, he does, and I think Atlanta and Carolina will be scary good in the post season.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Deserved. He had a great year.

5. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I'm glad for him, he earned it.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Well deserved for sure :) I hope they do well in the play-offs, the only thing that could hold them up is experience in the post-season but he's already proven he's got chops :yes:

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Now, when they pick Jerod Mayo as defensive ROY, I will be complete. :D

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    he deserves it, he tore us up when he came in here.

And he is one of the main reasons that Atlanta has turned it around so quickly.

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He deserves it for sure. Matt Ryan takes Atlanta to the NFC Nat'l Championship vs. Carolina.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Congratulations to Matt Ryan!!! He deserves it!!! :yes:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Frankly I think he should've been MVP

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Congrats to Matt. He sure earned it. :tup:

13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Got to love our ACC quarterbacks. They deilver - see, Philip Rivers.

14. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Congratualtions to Matt. He deserves it.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Someone doesn't think Matt should have gotten it ....

Titans' Johnson calls Rookie of Year voting 'bogus'

Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson said Wednesday that if players voted for Offensive Rookie of the Year, he believes that he, not Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, would have won the award, according to the Nashville City Paper.

The award is voted upon by a panel of 50 media members from across the nation and is overseen by the Associated Press. Ryan received 44 votes, while Johnson, the runner-up, received just three votes.

"Of course, it would have been different," Johnson said. "I had the most votes of any rookie [for the Pro Bowl], more than Matt Ryan. I'm the only one that made it to the Pro Bowl out of all the rookies."

Pro Bowl balloting is done in thirds, with fan vote, player vote and coaches votes each counting one-third in the process.

"He's a good player, and he played quarterback and did a good job this year," Johnson said of Ryan, who guided the Falcons to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth. "But the whole thing is bogus, because people are voting for it that are not on the same field as the people who are playing.

"I'm disappointed. I did all I could to win it. I feel I did the best. I feel I did all I could do to win it; it just didn't come my way."

Ryan threw for 16 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, posting 3,440 yards and an 87.7 passer rating.

Johnson rushed for 1,228 yards and nine touchdowns for the Titans.

Source: Nashville City Paper

16. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    And they did that yesterday....Congrats to the Patriots Jerod Mayo, Defensive Rookie of the Year :flag:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ditto. :tup:

18. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Well deserving of the recognition! Had him on my fantasy team but couldnt do everything for my SHI*TY team.

remember 1 thing..........................

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!