1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Walsh, Spygate this time could hurt.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by turbo_turtle, May 16, 2008.

1. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I don't even care anymore. Nothing is gonna happen, Goodell already blew it. Big time.

The Pats are dirty cheaters, everyone knows it, and their 3 titles will forever be tainted. End of story.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Of course they do. You can't have the people who are purchasing your product think they are getting defective goods. The league needs this to go away, and the harder they try to brush it under the rug, the louder the disenchanted fans will become.

If I was an owner of one of the teams that showed up on the tapes turned in last week, I f'n sue the Patriots for breach of trust, or whatever. I mean, what they are doing with the sneaky cam ****, IMO, is nothing short of industrial espionage. It's like insider trading at it worst. They are CHEATING their way to victories, otherwise, why do it?

Arghh, this **** is so frustrating.

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I never really cared about institutionalized cheating in sports until I realized how much money I spend each year going to games (I live in Baltimore right now). Cap that with how many hundreds of millions of dollars owners invest in their franchises and it becomes an even bigger issue.

Some say "cheating" is a bit strong of a word. I don't. I think it's letting the Patriots off easy. Considering the financial rammifications of their actions, I have one word for it...

FRAUD

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Until he actually hands over a real gem to suggest the Patriots are cheating, I don't give a rats *** anymore what Matt Walsh says

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I really like this post. If only Goodell the wimp, Kraft ball licking, weasel of an excuse for a commissioner could see things this way. Belicheat lied to Goodell's face, with his pathetic misunderstanding of the rules concept. Puleeease!!! If Marion Jones, Barry Bonds and others can be held guilty just for lying, why is this dick-faced fool allowed to walk. Walsh made one thing VERY CLEAR. The Cheaters knew they were cheating. Belicheat's story is a flat out lie. That in itself should have lit up Goodell.

It's funny how Bob Kraft thinks it's over, and Goodell thinks it's over, when the only thing that's truely over is the Patriots prominence in NFL history. The fans of this great game will never allow this shameful team to get away with this...regardless of what Goodell and Kraft think. Only the chowderhead fans of that conceited neck of the woods will ever give them a pass. To think, I actually used to feel sorry for the fans in that region, with the Red Sox getting abused by the Yankees every year, losing to the Mets in 86, etc. What they and that cheating team have now done is put themselves on everyone's hate list. Beating them will be everyone's version of winning the Super Bowl.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    More on the Pats ....

Cheaters never win: The risk of breaking rules not worth reward - SI.com - Ross Tucker

Ross Tucker is a former NFL player and current host on Sirius NFL Radio.

Dirty cheaters.

It's convenient to use the "everyone else does it" line. But when everyone else is NOT doing it, that person (Troy Brown, Pats fan apologists) look even worse in the eyes of public opinion. Parents don't let elementary school kids get away with the "everyone else does it" line, so why should the Pats get away with it?

Goodell is looking more and more like a worthless lackey and a puppet of Bob Kraft.

You know another thing this Injured Reserve cheating incident proves?

It means EVERY Patriots player (since Belichick has been there) KNOWS that organization was cheating. There can be no more players, staff, or owners claiming innocence. It was right there on the practice field .... every day.

Troy Brown didn't play for other teams. How does he know who else was cheating like the Patriots?

8. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  9. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ... and just a little more .....

Belicheater's initial written apology in September 2007:

Statement from Bill Belichick

Smooth criminals - SI.com - Dr. Z

Former Videographer Details Patriots’ Spying - NY Times

The Dr. Z column is completely separate of the Matt Walsh interview. Two different sources giving the same information (in different manners). Weis used the information gleaned from one game to cheat in a later game. Belichick was LYING in his freaking apology.

The biggest thing this tells me is that Matt Walsh was being honest. We have a good quote from Dr. Z and that fits the story Walsh states. The only ones lying in this whole mess currently get paychecks from Kraft.

Goodell packaging all of the Pats indescretions into one nifty little package is complete bullcrap. Eight years of video cheating, plus other incidents like using Injured Reserve players on the practice field, were NOT covered, discussed, nor detailed in the initial reports on the fines and draft pick docking.

Goodell needs to quit being a puppet. His nose is growing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Goodell has come off looking like Kraft's lap dog. Kraft was a major voice in promoting Goodell for the commish.

As soon as Walsh said "I do not have a copy of the Rams walk-through", it ended.

Goodell already swallowed, so he is not going to do anything else.

Nobody has seen anything of the tapes from 2003-2006 and nobody ever will since they were destroyed.

Belichick is a genius of system, at cheating.

Brady is a "system" QB.

11. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...The most disturbing thing about Goodell is the way he just sweeps it under the carpet with his famous "unprecedented" line in reference to his feeble punishment towards the Patriots. He handed down his puny punishment without fully understanding the magnitude of the crime. What's a fair level of punishment for the unprecedented amount of cheating that this team did. What's a fair level of punishment for tarnishing the reputation of the NFL itself? Why does he just refuse to even consider additional sanctions? Where are all the voices of the owners around the league whose teams own path to success may have been derailed by this band of criminals?

Does anyone else see the same "deer in the headlights", scared as a rabbit, mumblin, bumblin, stumblin coward, when he speaks about this whole issue. The media really let him off easy during his press conference...and he just seemed anxious as hell to scurry out of there as fast as he could. How on earth did this gutless excuse for a man get elected to the commish post in the first place?

12. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Maybe nothing will happen now, but the NFL's reputation will hurt for years, especially with the upcoming owners meetings about the CBA and stuff. Bad press about Rog will be daily. Fans need to know, that no matter what happens, everyone will always know the patriots are cheaters. That will never go away. Ever.

13. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I just sent an email to "Dr. Z" of Sports Illustrated ... we need to continue to push the media to dig into the Pats scandal. Dig into EVERY nook and cranny of this story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is going to be long ....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/09/13/cheating/index.html

That's your article "Smooth Criminals" detailing some points last September about the Pats cheating.

Next ....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/s...=3&hp=&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

That link is Matt Walsh's interview with the NY Times. He says:

Your writings last September matchup to Walsh's statements this May. It is a direct example of how the Pats began this cheating (even though it didn't help them win that specific game).

Which QB was involved? These four were on the roster in 2000.

Tom Brady
    Drew Bledsoe
    John Friesz
    Michael Bishop

Michael Bishop? Nah ... he was a "slash" type player and a rookie then. My thinking is that this had to be a backup QB that Walsh is talking about. Someone that wasn't one hit from going into the game. A veteran.... a third string veteran. IMO, this points at John Friesz for the year 2000. Also, after that, (if you read the NY Times interview linked above) Walsh says they tried to get the QB's out of the loop. Friesz left NE after the 2000 season, as did Bledsoe (after 2001).

You know, a hardworking reporter could go dig up John Friesz and ask him about all this Matt Walsh stuff. Wonder where he is now, and if he'd tell a few stories?

From Belichick's original apology back in September:
    http://www.patsfans.com/price/blog/?p=67

Doesn't the Walsh and Weis statements directly contradict that?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3018338

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80251b7e&template=without-video&confirm=true

The two above links are original stories when Goodell initially punished Belichick and the Pats.

No where in there do I see any reference to the punishment being inclusive to EIGHT years worth of video cheating. Nor does it mention the Injured Reserve practice issue detailed by Ross Tucker on this website.

Can a well respected journalist like yourself dig into this issue some more? Why is the media allowing Goodell to make all the Pats/Belichick transgressions fit under one punishment? That was not the case when it initially was handed down.

Thanks for your time.

Shamrock

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Here's another interesting nugget .....

Some Are Fuzzy on Taping's Benefits - Washington Post (May 16, 2008)

Official NE Patriots bio on Billy Belicheater ....

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm ....

15. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  16. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Arlen Spectre for NFL commish!!! :lol:

Goodell has done more to harm the NFL's image in his short stint than any player has, including Vick. If it weren't for my love of the Chargers, I'd just call it quits with pro football. :icon_sad:

18. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
  19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Its kinda funny how the fans of the accused team always drink the koolaide.

Because unless your a Patriots or Broncos fan right now (Broncos also believed to have taped signals in their Super Bowl years), the fans of the other 30 NFL teams seem to concensually agree that this was a horrible act of cheating.

Yet despite being beraided by every fan from Seattle to Miami (other than Denver) Patriot fans still honestly believe it wasnt a big deal. They have totally burried their heads in the sand because it would be too painfull to accept that their "dynasty" was a fraud.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Jones, Bonds and the others were under oath. No one in this Walsh mess has so far made so much as a sworn deposition.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Goodell wants to avoid that at all costs. We'll see how far the senator takes it. :icon_shrug:

22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This is bigger than just cheating and thus winning games. It has alot to do with everything that sports is supposed to represent in america.

Is a slap on the wrist justice for cheating and winning three super bowls. They probably wouldn't have even made the playoffs if they hadn't cheated. And before the spygate hit they were regarded as a great team. Now we know just how great they really were. Cheating , lying basturds is what the pats are.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hate the message that kids around the country may be getting from this - the whole "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin' " mentality.

What a bunch of BS. :tdown: How about hard work, dedication, & teamwork? :icon_shrug:

24. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    what we really need is some high profile FA being ready to sign w/ NE and then signing elsewhere because his kid said he didn't want his daddy to play for the cheaters:icon_rofl: