1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Williamson: DeMarco Murray a fit for the Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Link

SAN DIEGO -- In this ESPN Insider piece[​IMG], NFL Insider Matt Williamson examines the top destinations for Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray, who is scheduled to become a free agent in March.

Murray finished with a league-leading 1,845 rushing yards, averaging 4.7 yards per carry. He totaled 13 rushing touchdowns and 57 catches during the regular season.

Williamson believes Murray likely will stay with the Cowboys, but pegs the San Diego Chargers as No. 6 on his list of possible landing spots for the talented back.

Williamson: "Donald Brown did nothing in his first year in San Diego and Ryan Mathews' contract is set to expire. Philip Rivers is not a young man and has taken a beating behind a constantly changing offensive line the past few seasons, so the Chargers need a running game and also have some money to spend in free agency. The line needs work, and a speedster wide receiver would be a very welcome addition, but they can't count on Branden Oliver as their lead running back if they plan to get back into the playoffs. Murray would be a great guy to lean on in the near future.”

My take: Murray is a good combination of a physical runner who can create explosive plays because of his ability to stretch the defense on perimeter runs. He explodes through contact and accelerates well at the second level. I also like his pass-catching ability out of the backfield, which would be a good fit for San Diego's offense. However, Murray turns 27 on Feb. 12, so age is a concern. Even more concerning is Murray's injury history -- he's played one, 16-game season in his four-year pro career. And with what the Chargers have gone through with Mathews, I would be surprised if general manager Tom Telesco invested the type of money necessary in free agency to secure a player with Murray's resume, particularly heading into a draft loaded with game-changing prospects at running back.

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I like Murray, but I cant see Dallas letting him run... (pun intended)....

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,552
    :rolleyes: 2014 was the first time in his career he made it 16 games (similar to Mathews in 2013), and he plays behind arguably the best O-line in the NFL. You put Mathews behind that line for 16 games and I bet you he breaks 1600 yards and 10+ TDs as well.

If I were Jerry I'd let Murray walk, take my 3rd round compensation pick, and sign Ryan Mathews for pennies on the dollar. And use the money I saved to pay Dez Bryant.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I rather they try to keep RM than go after Murry if they can come to an equitable agreement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Get that kid from Nebraska for running back...

• Like Like x 3
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    With this impressive RB class coming out with great talent from rounds 1-5, no way am I wasting a lot of money on a running back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    This fit for the Bolts lark is a joke. So many are 'fits' but does it make sense for (A) Dallas to let him go and (B) SD to replace Mathews with Murray. I say the answer is No to both questions.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    To run behind what line?

His brilliant year (and Romo's) can be partially attributed to the great line Dallas has put together. How about we get one of those instead?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Whose line? Our line?

whoselineisitanyway-cast-title.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1