1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Williamson examines the AFC West

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    March 30, 2009 5:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

I just got off the phone with Scout Inc.'s Matt Williamson (no relation) to prepare for the AFC West's On the Clock series, which begins Tuesday with the San Diego Chargers.

Because he has so much insight, I decided to break out some of what Williamson had to say about each AFC West team. Here are some of the more interesting things Williamson had to say:

Denver: "The Broncos are going to have trouble winning games this season and we don't even know what is going to happen with the Jay Cutler situation and if receiver Brandon Marshall will be suspended for a long period of time. Denver is going to need those two players because of its defense. The Broncos are going to have to try to win a lot of shootouts as they adjust to using the 3-4 defense. The Broncos don't have too many players on their roster right now that fit the 3-4 roster."

Kansas City: "The real travesty here is defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. I don't think he fits the 3-4 defense. Is he a defensive end or a nose tackle in the 3-4? I think he's a poor fit for both positions. If he's a defensive end, he will get stuck dealing with tackles all day long and if he's a nose tackle he'll be double-teamed all day long. He is a Warren Sapp-type guy who has to play up field. It's a bad fit and it's a shame because I thought he was the best player in the draft last year. But he's a 4-3 guy. I think it's a big waste of his talents to be in the 3-4. Maybe the Chiefs should try to trade to him."

Oakland: "A lot of people may think Oakland really improved itself on the offensive line, but I'm not so sure. They signed Khalif Barnes to play tackle, but I think he's overrated. He is big and talented but he hasn't played up to his potential as a big-name former high pick and he has had some off-field problems. In a lot of ways he's the perfect Raider. Also, I like their new center Samson Satele (acquired in a trade from Miami) but he has trouble against 3-4 defenses and every opposing defense in the AFC West is going to have a 3-4 defense this year. It may not be as easy as everyone thinks the transition is going to be."

San Diego: "The Chargers have a pretty stacked roster. They are obviously the best team in the division. I could see them trading down from the No. 16 pick to recoup the second-round pick they do not have. The Chargers have a few needs so they have flexibility if they want to trade down in the first round."

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    somebody PLEASE make sure the players don't read this story... tx~

all positive media should be banned from that locker room :yes:

p.s. I look forward to killing our divisional foes once more - sweep sweep sweep!!

3. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    really hope we trade down and get a second! :bolt:

4. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yeah. None of the players who will be available at 16 make me jizz my pants.

Wait. That didn't come out the way I wanted it too.

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Even Bill "Slick Willie" Williamson cannot figure out how the Donks are going to man up a 3-4 front seven. ;)

6. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...A very profound statement!! :tup:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Because they manned up SO well for a 4-3 :icon_tease:

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Oh yes it did. :icon_tease:

And I agree. :lol:

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    With Cutler out and Cassel in this looks like an interesting division. Bolts got to get a improved start to run for the fourth straight title. The players have to show up as the team to beat and the others are frightened of.
    So let them read those stories... they have to get it done.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Matt Williamson is a complete Cuddles homer.

link
    April 2, 2009 1:00 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

There is a perception in some circles around the league that Jay Cutler is being a crybaby and the next team to get the soon-to-be ex-Denver quarterback is going to receive a petulant brat.

I don't think so.

Yes, Cutler may be a tad stubborn and he hasn't given in during his near five-week impasse with Denver, but he didn't start this drama. Remember, Cutler hasn't publicly asked for a new contract, nor did he ask to be traded at the beginning of this saga. Cutler got upset only after the Broncos discussed replacing him at quarterback.

He was happy to be a Bronco before Feb. 28 when Denver's flirtation with Matt Cassel became public knowledge. Until then, Cutler was on board with new Denver coach Josh McDaniels. Since then, Cutler has stuck to his guns. He and his camp have maintained that it is a trust issue with McDaniels and he doesn't feel like he'll ever be able to work with McDaniels.

Cutler may have a reputation as being quiet and perhaps even aloof. But he has never been a problem player in Denver. He never had any major issues. So any team that is considering trading for him shouldn't worry about getting a perpetually controversial, troubled player.

I believe this is an isolated issue and Cutler will be a model player who wants to win with whatever team takes him on.