1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Matthews Experiment

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltfanatik, Sep 24, 2012.

1. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm not ready to throw the guy under the bus , just curious what others feel

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I won't throw him under the bus either, I do like his talent, no question he brought something to this run game that didn't exist prior to him playing. But he's running out of time and chances to really establish himself as a consistent effective player

4. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Not to mention repeated injury & fumbles. I'm willing to give a guy a couple of seasons but he'd better turn on the switch this year!

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I don't know that I'd put it that way, every time he's on the field he is consistantly productive averaging nearly 5 ypc last year (highest of any RB with 200+ carries) and 50 catches. The problem is Norv just can't trust him to hold on to the ball, which means he's never going to be comfortable giving it to him.

Its a damn shame too, the kid is so rediculously talented, I would argue one of the 5 most physically gifted RBs in the league, and to boot his character is a plus. Norv said today he thinks fumbling issues can be coached...well I suggest he starts fuccking coaching it then.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Physics can be taught as well...that doesn't mean Snooki's ever gonna be an engineer. Rediculous, indeed! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OMG... Consider this one stolen.... :roflmao:

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    We don't have a Matthews........ but we do have a Mathews.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    THAT's the experiment, silly! Will an extra "T" help Ryan hold Tighter the ball?

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Unlike our wishy washy HC, I haven't given up on him yet. He just need to learn to hold on to the ball better and go down to the ground when he's getting hammered. He is not a lost cause, yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    He isn't worth the gut pulling. He's cost us a couple of games these last few years due to fumbles. If he can't get through this year, I say we axe his and English's contracts and pick up a back from free agency.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    he looks like a talent but he is to soft for the NFL. He can't hold onto the ball or stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    I am not willing to keep giving Mathews anymore slack! Factoring in injuries and fumbles we can't afford to wait for Ryan to learn how to hold on to the ball. Running backs are a dime a dozen. I'd like to see Battle run over more people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Yeah, I cant count how many times I said Minnesota should get rid of that Peterson guy. 13 fumbles in his 1st 3 seasons, man that guy is a bum.

All joking aside yeah Mathews has 6 fumbles lost in his career and that hurts but when PR throws an INT are people saying we need to get rid of him? Mathews is a good back, it's ridiculous for people to say he's worthless. Yes he gets hurt but thats because his style of play, he looks for contact.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say that some of these people saying we should get rid of Mathews (6) for fumbles, were crying when we didn't bring back Tolbert (4)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

Sometimes you gotta cut the cord quickly to be able to move on. But the truth is that We do not need the fastest back or the quickest back what we need is the back that has the 'perfect' speed for our team. Battle just might be that guy. His speed allows him to hit the holes at the right time. Mathews can be to flashy to hit the holes on a better average than Battle. Terrell Davis was not fast or quick but he had the perfect speed for that Denver offense.[/quote]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I think Battle is a great complementary back. but I still prefer Mathews over any of the other guys in our back field.

I see Mathews and Battle like Forte and Bush.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    You might be thinking of the funiculus umbilicalis!! :)

Mathews is definitely not "too fast" or "too quick" for this offense. No back is.

Jackie Battle was a great sign, IMHO, by Smith, but gives a team nowhere near the weapons
    that Mathews does. To get excited by a few nice runs in garbage time is understandable...
    but to assume from that that a guy is a much more accomplished runner than his 5 NFL seasons say,
    makes little sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I can't see Mathews as a weapon. I can't remember him ever breaking one for a TD. I remember Battle doing it and Tolbert and LT and Means and Turner but not Mathews. I believe most peeps get caught up in the 'flash' of talent rather than the talent itself.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Ok, I'm gonna admit right up front, that I have no idea what
    "...the 'flash' of talent rather than the talent itself..." means. Me only speakee the English!

As far as breaking a long run for a TD, it's pretty hard to compare a guy with just 27 starts to guys
    like Means and, especially, an 11 year Hall of Famer like LT...
    but guys with RM's speed are the guys most likely to break big ones.

Although Mathews' 56 yard TD against the 'niners was a beauty, I guess we could disqualify it for
    coming in a preseason game. Still, his 31 yarder is longer than any Battle or Tolbert TD run I know of.

20. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    preseason doesn't qualify.

"...the 'flash' of talent rather than the talent itself..." you see he is athletic with his moves but that doesn't mean he has talent. He is soft for the NFL. He fumbles a LOT. And yes it is very easy to compare LT and RM. LT had 27 starts also, he fumbled a few times, Never broke a bone, and had the right combination of speed and quickness for our offense under Marty/Cam. He was a killer out in space. RM can't seem to hold onto the ball let alone stay healthy. He is a quick behind the line but easily trips over the hash marks.

Battle has shown he has a better style and size for our offense.

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    No one is saying that Mathews doesn't need to hold on to the ball better...
    but even a great ball protector like LT had 5 fumbles two seasons of his first 4...
    Adrian Peterson was even worse...both guys improved hugely...there's zero
    reason to say Mathews won't also improve. Mathews is 100x as dangerous in space
    as Battle. Again, look at Battle's 5 year career...not a 52 yard run when
    the defense is up by 24 points with 4 minutes to go...it means less than nothing.
    If you consider Mathews delicate, what do you consider the other runners in the division?
    Mathews had the 2nd most carries in the AFC West last year...and was most productive with those carries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    i will always consider RM to be a huge let down. Not a bust but a guy who is just a an average 'flashy' runner.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Well, it sounds like you're a lot quicker to make an "always" decision...I've learned to wait for more data...

(just a fun bit of trivia: absolutely no one was suggesting LT would ever become a Hall of Famer 27 games in...
    any "always" comments about LT then would've been far, far from accurate, re. what he would develop in to)

24. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    no they we not but 27 games into it people were saying he is special.

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Only a handful...and only in San Diego. I was a huge LT fan (2 #5 TCU jerseys!),
    and even I didn't mention HoF potential until LT's 3rd or 4th year. But the (bigger) point is that judging
    long term things on so little evidence regularly leads to large errors. If you think you know RM's career well
    enough at this time to make "always" statements about it...knock yourself out.
    I feel more data is need. LOTS more data.

26. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    he was even being mentioned special on ESPN.

RM will not be a starting RB three years from now in the NFL. His weakness and fumbles will destroy his career.

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Again, I'm not the sort to point out that you simply pulled your "RM/3 Years" comment out of your butt...
    but it does highlight how differently we approach things. I'm usually "Hmmm...need more objective data..."
    whereas you're more "I'm going to present y'all with my pungent butt nugget, and state it as if it were a real fact!"
    I say tomato, you say tomahto. :p

p.s. Since the average RB career is about three years, predicting that Mathews won't be
    around after five may not be as bold an insult as you were trying for...

Oh crap...I just went back and re-read...I was so used to the Norv bashing, that when you wrote "he was even being mentioned special on ESPN" I didn't realize you were talking about RM...I still think the jury's out on RM, but he has so much damned talent and plays so hard (and yes, has even been much healthier than McFadden or Charles, etc.) that I don't want the Chargers to give up on him prematurely

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I've said it before, Rygina reminds me of Chunk Muncie big, fast and strong and they both put the ball on the carpet. The kid needs to play, I wouldn't limit him from running anywhere on the field but a little old fashion splinter arse after dropping the rock will help. Then send him back in after 3 or 4 plays, it worked for other ball players and it won't kill his confidence.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If it does, the team will have its answer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Some of his fumbles have been pretty good defensive plays to be fair. He seems fumble prone looking at turnovers per touches but it is a fairly small sample size. If a baseball player was 4/11 against a given pitcher but was overall a 220 hitter would you pinch hit him versus a 280 hitter based on his 11 ABs? Ask yourselves this, do I think he is a talented but overly injury and fumble prone bust of an NFL player? or am I mad because his fumbles seem to be turning points in games we end up losing, occuring over the last 3 seasons when perhaps the fumble shouldn't have mattered if other parts of the team had stepped up? in other words, it's possible to fumble the ball, not think the sky is falling, panic, and lose the game, good football teams do it all the time.