1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe AJ Isn't The God Trumpet Thought He Was

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Sep 24, 2007.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Other then the Giants trade that he pulled off, maybe he isn't the genious we thought he was. Great players are going to be playmakers regardless. And maybe Marty deserves more credit then he has been given. Without Marty, our team is lackluster. Sure you can say that we are going to have growing pains with new coaches but I thought that AJ's plan was for us not to change much at all since we were a very successful team to begin with. So if that is true, then why are we the polar opposite from last year? I can't help but believe that every single poster has to assume that Marty had to be some kind of a master motivator. That is the only thing that I can reason with as to why we seem to be a Jekyl & Hyde team from last year to this year. So maybe Marty's leadership is what made the players what they are and in turn.....made AJ look like the God that Trumpie makes him out to be.

If Marty is still under contract, they should bring him in for the same type of job they brought.....oh crap, I forgot his name....anyway the old Giants coach when the Ravens hired him as a "consultant". I can't help but think that this team see's Norv as an inferior coach compared to Marty and is just having a hard time buying into the new coaches game planning. Marty would be a shot in the arm for our guys. Especially on defense since Marty is a defensive guy.:icon_toast:

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Our coach is this guy<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aMj0t7sds7I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think our play is more to the fact that we should have played our starters in the pre-season.

especially since we have a new coaching staff

they just don't look prepared

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Absolutely. Our offense didn't get much time with Norv. Cottrell is an idiot if he keeps up this kind of coaching.

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Seems like AJ is trying to stack the team with ALL his picks... Big mistake letting guys like Donnie Edwards go, etc... He should have gone into free agency, and picked up a quality receiver, or trade Turner for one... AJ you have had great picks, but you cannot draft an entire team!!!! Free agency and veteran leadership play a role in successful franchises.

Still lots of season left, lets hope we can start getting over the hump, and play with ferocity like last year!

FOUTS

6. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    IF you look around on the UT and check out the comments posted by other fans not on this board, you see people calling out for a coach like Bill Cowher. That's never going to happen with AJ as GM. Not after what transpired between he and the German. :no:

How about just simply wishing for a guy looking to make a name for himself ala Tomlin in Pitt. Talk about going into a hornets nest and making the most of it.

7. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    The thing is that I guarantee you AJ would argue otherwise........that's the sad truth I'm coming to realize. AJ will continue to be Aj in the way he handles players and his view of free agency.

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    AJ IS AN EGOTISTICAL DICK HEAD!!!

HIS EGO TOOK OVER HIS BRAIN!!!

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Excellent points. What people need to remember is that this San Diego Chargers team is a very young team and without a doubt need some kind of positive leadership. We lost that on both sides with Keenan and Edwards. Not to mention a vocal head coach in Marty. Now we have a quite HC in Norv, no true leader on offense, LT himself says that he is a leader by example not words. Defense? Maybe Merriman, maybe Jamal but other then that.....:icon_huh: :icon_shrug:

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    AJ fked up.

Thanks to his chubby for Cottrell, that eliminated all of the head coaching candidates besides Norv Turner.

A guy like Rex Ryan would’ve related to our young roster and made our defense badass, but AJ had to have Cottrell as his DC.

And now we may end up having to fire Cottrell in order to save our season.

Is that incredibly stupid or what?

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I appreciate the sentiment of this thread, but can we please try to refrain from calling people out by name?

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And how do we know that Turner was entirely AJ, how do we know that Spanos didnt have a say in this?

Thats just my $000.02

• Like Like x 1
  13. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    whatever you guys A.J. is your daddies!

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Question.....

If Cottrell gets fired, does that mean I automatically adopt his replacement?:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

15. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    I knew we should of got Dennis Green! As per DC anyone is better.

16. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    why give him credit for the Giants trade? He wanted to draft Eli. That was his first choice. He was forced into the trade by he Mannings and Eli's refusal to play in SD. If not for Eli being spoiled lil b!tch he's our QB and we don't have anyone else in that trade. THAT is what AJ wanted.

I've said a long about the choice between AJ and a quality coach, at this point the team has the talent level and has them wrapped up for several years to be a Super Bowl window. If AJ can't deal with a quality coach and let him pick his own staff (not force Cottrell on them) then AJ needs to go. We need coaching at this point more than we need talent acquisition.

Spanos should have kept to his word and fired them both if they didn't act like professionals. Then he could have hired Carroll and been rolling along.

The Cowboys hired Dave Campo for continuity. He sucked. They didn't continue anything, they got worse and went to the crapper.

The Steelers lost Cowher they didn't hire a company man to say yes to everything. They went out and got a new HC, the best candidate they could find. Ironically he was the guy that replaced Cottrell when Cottrell was run out of Minnesota.

The schemes will work themselves out if you get the best players and the best coaches. Getting lower quality either to fit a scheme is not a good strategy.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't care for Green but I'd take him over Norv!!!

18. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7

Yeah, since the Bolts are having a lot of success right now with another head coaching retread...

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    How about giving him credit for the trade because he MADE the trade. Your presumption doesn't really stand up to reality. You think he wanted Eli all along. But he traded Eli for Rivers and a slew of picks. AJ gets credit for the moves he makes, not for the moves you think he intended to make.

20. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    If Cottrell does get fired, his replacement will be Rivera.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Schottenheimer got these guys to play to their potential last season, during the season, but he never got teams to do that in the post season. That talent they displayed last year was no mirage, so AJ gets credit for that period. No body is perfect, and unless things improve, I'll be eating more crow over Norval. This time with tequilia lime sauce instead of black berry. Wade looks like he was the keeper. Ryan IS probably the logical dude if things go south, but they haven't yet. Not even close. This is no time to blow recall.

22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Bingo!

I never wanted Schottenheimer in the first place, but I bought in, and I give him his due. I didn't want Norv, but I'm hoping things turn out the same way, that he is successful, and I give him his due.

As for A.J., he has done a fine job of getting players on this roster, so I have no beef with him.

23. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

Someone IS missing reality and it isn't me. The Chargers wanted Eli so bad they flew him and his dad out to try to talk them into playing in SD and show them how wonderful it was there. He picked him before the trade was finalized, meaning if the trade fell through he was perfectly fine with keeping Eli. He's not perfect. Hell 12 years from now we might think Eli was the better player. You going to argue with me that AJ wanted him all along then? lol

You might be the only person on the planet that doesn't realize Rivers was Plan B in SD, not Plan A.

24. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    Man, can't believe I'm reading this at the HQ for the AJ is God crew. Blasphemy! :icon_eek: