1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe if VJ had signed his tender we wouldn't be counting on a KC loss

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Dec 16, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Just sayin

:mad:

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Maybe...Its gonna be hard to defend AJ if we do miss the playoffs.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,421
    Because VJ would be playing special teams?

4. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    yeah, good point

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    He wouldn't have helped with the first 2 losses because of the suspension. But could have helped prevent the others.

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    wait just one fuking minute here.

How many times did we go 3 and out on our first possession this year?

How many games did we lose by less than 7?

no, I'm re-thinking my stance

7. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    IF we had vj maybe we would have won despite our special teams.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We lost to the Pats by 3, no STs mistakes, and they have one of the wost secondary's in the league.

Not sayin...just sayin...

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Jackoffson isn't a team guy.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    If my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

The fact remains the passing game has hardly been the issue in any of the losses.

If we had VJ we might have one more win than we actually do at this point. (STL)

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    But I suppose that still makes the initial claim in the thread title valid, so I digress.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah, didn't you see him make every tackle on special teams tonite?

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The maybe game is? I love this game. Mayyybbbbeeee if wwwweeee haddddd won the first kc game we wouldn't be counting on VJ taking a cut.

14. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Some really stubborn people on this board.....

Jackson is a difference maker. All yards are not created equal. Have we been unable to score with the game on the line this season? Has Jackson been a guy who comes up with game winning scores late? Does he attract attention and make it easier for others.

Did he not make a bigger difference than just his catches against KC? Did you see his block on Tolberts TD run in that game?

I would also add, maybe if AJ didn't low ball him and offered him maybe 6.5 million, that we would be better than 8-6. Judging by the difference he has made the last two games that would have been money well spent.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, let's cry about **** we can't do anything about.

It's over, he's here, move on with you life and just enjoy the moment.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The TDs he scores count for our team don't they?

We're better with him than without him, and I've said all along I expect AJ to offer him a deal in the offseason if his doucher agent hasn't burned the bridge already.

17. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    and let us praise the GM for "winning" after VJ signed. if the team aint winning, the Gm aint either.

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    There's no doubt that we are better with Jackson, but we aren't that much worse without him. Granted, we've scored over 30 points in the two games we've had him, but we've scored over 24 without him. One more touchdown? Cmon man.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    20-20 hindsight being what it is & all that .....

Sproles should have paid him. ;)

It is what it is. Maybe our offense w/VJ would have overcome the other gaffes. All we can do now is hope that he stays healthy & helps us put a Lombardi in the case at Charger Park.

20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

I agree we still score a ton without him. But when you are losing games by 7-10 points or less that extra touchdown changes things quite a bit actually. Even in the games we have lost by 8 or 9 having an extra 7 on the board to make it 2 or 3 changes how the last quarter of the game is played by both teams.

The fact is VJ draws a ton of attention. Almost as much as Gates does. That was evident last night in the SF game. Guys were wide open all night long because they were afraid to get beat on the deep ball by VJ. With a healthy Gates, Floyd, VJ and Crayton, this offense will be just short of unstoppable the way Rivers is slinging the ball around right now.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    No one has any clue what "might" have happened if Jackoffson had signed his tender or was given big money at the beginning of this season. I know where the team is now and if they make it into the playoffs and Jackoffson helps the team win a Lombardi, then there will be cause for argument. Right now it's all speculation as to what might have happened.

22. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    The last two games have absolutely convinced me we need to either franchise VJ or get him signed long term, he absolutely opens up the field for the offense and upgrades the run game blocking, his catches are bonuses. Let's not forget, we were without Gates these two weeks too.

He has convinced me he is worth the risk. If the front office can't see it, then changes really need to be made there. And don't use $ as an excuse, our payroll is now in the lower 1/3rd of the league.

As for people saying he wouldn't have made a diff earlier, remember how many games we played from behind that wouulda been different if we scored first, or how our passing attack during comeback attempts would have been different.

Given Gates' age and injury history, VJ is our most valuable offensive weapon other than Rivers, looking forward, I believe.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    He's benefiting off the ground work that the "NOBODIES" have laid down this year, Jackoffson isn't making this team work better just because of him. It's working because a lot more guys have given of themselves for the team. He walks in has a decent game off the arm of Philip and hard work done by the no names and now it's all because of him? Yeah, I believe you.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    USATODAY.com

Take a look at where Vincent Jackson was paid last year (2009) and look at the WR's who got paid more than him.

I would be ANGRY if I were VJ. Just look at the list of knotheads who got paid more and how low VJ is on the pay scale. This is graphic and somewhat salary horrific. Understand his bonus monies have been paid so he look more poor than the average bear....anyway...interesting chart

25. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    We can hypothesize all day...

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    where would he be in that list had he accepted his tender?

Top 15 I think

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    39th place.

The list is for 2009 and not 2010 so we would have to assume a few things.

Lets say the 2009 pay scales are magically 2010 and VJ accepted his tender of $3.1 million for the year. That puts him at 39th in terms of the cap hit or right around Justin Gage / Andre Davis's cap hits.

I would still be angry wouldn't you ?

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I went by base salary. the amount that would have been put in his pocket. (well, except for the suspension). I doubt he cares about the salary cap implications.

and no, 3mil would be fine for one more year. He would have gotten signed long term or franchised or he could have walked. He's mega rich in all three scenarios. and don't play the injury card.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Ahhh....base salary VJ would be right around 15th....yup.

OK so you are good with being 15th and $3 mil. Cool. Putting it that way makes it a bit easier but the guy is worth more than 15th strictly on base salary.

Another way to look at it is Antonio Bryant was F-tagged for one year at $9.8 million base salary.

VJ got tagged for one year and would have gotten $3.1 million base salary.

This means VJ is worth 1/3rd as much as Antonio Bryant.

Now does this get you ANGRY or are you still ok with the $3 million ? I know you feel me working it.

30. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Nope doesn't get me angry at all...