1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe this is the year.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by !~BOLT~!, Oct 16, 2011.

1. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    We have been through every type of torment a sports fan can go through. As of late we have been "slow-starters"; underachievers in the front leg of the season who show promise and inevitably screw it up in the end while adding an L to the record books. Those 2-3 starts were very hard to watch, and at the time none of us were optimistic and much closer to jim mora sr. than seriously consider a playoff berth. Those seasons were frustrating to watch because we knew we had a dominant squad compared to the teams we were losing to. We out-shined our opponents in every fashion minus the scoreboard. We had a lot of minor mental errors cost us big time. We had singular freak moments you could pinpoint to define our loss.

In the decade of the 1990's (other than 92,94,95) we stunk up the field, our expectation level was at an all time low, and many of us were very use to the idea of an opposing teams fan saying whatever team oriented insult they could muster, and we pretty much agreed with them...and then flipped them off. We knew who we were back then. In 2003 we enter the season with astronomical expectations, and fall flat on our faces with an assload of talent. I loved the David Boston addition...for a few weeks. LT was just getting him engine groomed. We open the season @ KC and get smacked up by a high powered Chiefs team running downhill on us all day. LT did not have a chance to get it going, and Brees looked like a very bad decision on that day. How we were 4-12 with LT putting up crab nebula numbers that season is beyond me, but we sucked.

We have lost in every imaginable way possible. We've ruined seasons on the first play, the final play, an initial clutch play. I thought we were done with all the mathematical possibilities years ago yet we continue to invent new ways to commit suicide on the field. INT for fumble to set up a game winning fg? WTF? How many times you see that happen? The list goes on and on.

What's so different about this year? How many 4-1 seasons in this teams history had such a negative spin on it? I've never been so concerned with my team after a 4-1 start. Why is it so apparent to most fans that big changes are needed in San Diego as we sit atop our division during our early bye week? This season we are winning games that we would have lost, and lost bad in the past. We should not have been in that Pats game either, yet there we were on the verge of a go ahead score in the fourth quarter, and we all know what happened after that. We all know this team has the ability to pull it together and progress very rapidly in a single season. We missed out on the playoffs based on the play of our special teams last year (arguably) how many teams in the history of the NFL can say that? To have the number one ranked Offense, and Defense yet allow your ST to cost you your title? C'mon, we have to be out of ways to lose when stuff like that starts happening. Now we are barely hanging on to beat teams that should not be allowed in the league. I think this is a sign of great things to come for Chargers fans, because in the years past when we thought we had what it took, we thought we had a chance at a ring, we fell flat on our faces, often being our own doing. I say this is our year because we are not suppose to know what it looks like, and so far this team is quite unidentifiable.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Great Post and I agree I do expect us to do something different this year. What that is I don't know all I'm sure of is that'll be scratching my head at the end of the year on it.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    We have one of these posts every year, hell, every week until midseason and then again before the Playoffs, whether they've made the cut or if they were at least knocking on the door, as we found out last year. And nothing changes...

4. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    This difference this year is the way we are going about it. This team has shown every color in the rainbow (including black) in the shortest amount of time possible.

5. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm thinking we will all be scratching our heads to a lombardi trophy. Not as glamorous as many of us planned a few other visits to the post season but I'll take it. There's something really strange going on in Charger land, and that is saying an awful lot with this bunch.

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    On a positive note at least we aren't fans of Miami. What a pathetic team.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Or the Colts. That defense still has talent though.