1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mayock believes Chargers have options

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Apr 15, 2009

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock thinks the Chargers could go a number of different directions next weekend with their nine selections.
    It won’t surprise NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock if the Chargers use their first round pick on an offensive lineman next Saturday. He thinks running back makes a lot of sense as well. Maybe outside linebacker, maybe inside linebacker.

“I don’t think they have any one way where they’re saying, ‘We have to go in that direction,’” Mayock said Wednesday during a conference call.

Mayock sees the Chargers as a team that has some needs but not any glaring holes to address with the 16th overall pick in next weekend’s draft. That’s why he can make the case for San Diego going in many different directions.

“I think offensive line is an issue right now,” Mayock said. “They might want to upgrade the right side. After that, the whole running back thing is intriguing to me, whether or not they would use a first round pick on (Georgia’s) Knowshon Moreno. I think the safety situation (could be addressed) at some point.”

As he anticipates how the first half of the first round will pan out, Mayock sees the top four offensive tackles on his board – Virginia’s Eugene Monroe, Mississippi’s Michael Oher, Alabama’s Andre Smith, Baylor’s Jason Smith – unavailable by the time the Chargers are on the clock.

He doesn’t think the Chargers will take a safety with the 16th overall choice, and with Boston College nose tackle B.J. Raji likely gone at 16, that brings Mayock back to running back and linebacker.

“They’ve got to be thinking about Knowshon Moreno,” Mayock said. “It’s too early for a safety. It’s too early for any of those nose tackles and then I think the outside linebacker issue comes into play. Merriman with one year left on his contract and the injury, would they take a rush linebacker at that point?”

Despite the Chargers adding Kevin Burnett in free agency, he believes USC inside linebacker Rey Maualuga could head to San Diego in the first round.

“I think it’s a little bit early for Maualuga, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they went in that direction,” Mayock said. “He certainly fits the profile.”

Regardless of whom the Chargers pick, Mayock thinks they’re in a good spot to get value for their pick. Mayock said Tuesday that every team in the top 10 of the draft would love to trade down because of the quality of players available as well as the high salary the top picks demand.

“Teams are looking to get down 15-25 because you can get the same kind of player at 20 as you can at seven and you pay one-third the money,” Mayock said.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If Rey is there and we don't take him I'm gonna RAGE.

DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE

[​IMG]

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    We need fatties.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Yeah! and some big dudes for the lines too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So Rey can play defensive end? :icon_huh:

We dont need bling bling, we need beef beef!

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I get the feeling AJ likes Jerome Clary too much to go with the beef in round 1, unless by some miracle Andre Smith falls to us.
    We need an eventuall successor to LT.
    We need a playmaker at saftey.
    We need someone to fill the depth at D-line with Igor leaving and Jamal still getting older.
    We need a solid ILB who can stuff the run game, and bring some pass rush.

In my perfect world we draft Cushing at 16, then trade into the 2nd round and draft Ron Brace, and then hope we can find a playmaking saftey later on. It may be best to hold off one more year on the RB situation, although this is the deepest RB class I've ever seen.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Rey is worth more to us than any of the beef that will be left for us to gnaw on @ 16.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I disagree. The line starts everything in the 3-4. If they cant hold their ground the best LB in the game are pretty much useless.

How is Rey supposed to be some monster force if Jamal is aging and we have no solid replacement for Igor? rey would be just a part of the defence, the second line. I have to think we need a manster upfront where it starts...

Just my opinion. Thanks for sharing yours.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Rey will be a bust.

• Like Like x 2
  11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

That's a good problem to have..

:tup:

• Like Like x 2
  12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I agree, if he was worth the hype he wouldn't even be there at 16.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Rey will be the one exception to the beef rule I will stand. I think he can be that special. If he's gone then yeah it's all about the big guys up front. We need to reload in the trenches and we also need a real SS

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think we need to relax on safety a bit. Oliver, Wedle and crew should be in a better position to have success with Merriman back and Rivera implementing his aggresive scheme. They will be more effective with a pushing agressive line. Without that, QBs having 7-10 seconds unmolested in teh pocket, then no Safety or LB will help.

BEEF! It's whats for drafting!

Safety could use help, but in the 5th or 6th round. Not 1st or 3rd... IMO.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

I dont know about that.

Merriman was a 12th pick... Not far from 16th. A lot of good LBs go in the later 1st and 2nd rounds...

Remember team needs drive who they take more often than who the best players are at a particular pick.

You may be correct, but I am just saying where they go int he draft is not always indicitive of how well they play. Rothlesberger was the last of the three big QBs taken his year, but he has two rings...

16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Yeah I know merriman went 12, and the cowboys said they'd take him at ten, or eleven only to draft ware, but look t the guys who were on that board, and merriman still landed at 12. Not enough offensive superstars to hold a team from taking an ilb with reys hype. I could be reaching though. I was always curious why moreno would be available at 16 if he's so close to the next big thing. Once again its a strange draft year.

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    You can find Tyson Jacksons in round 3,4,5,6 and 7 Ant.

3-4 DE's are a dime a dozen, because all they technically are is a 300+lb DT's (no pass rush required) who can take up two blockers. The only D-linemen I'd be OK with taking a 16 is BJ Raji, and that ain't gonna happen. And like I said AJ seems happy with Jerome Clary, so I'd be surprised if we burned that pick on a Michael Oher.

Your right about the saftey position, I'd be fine with a Malcom Jenkins a 16, or Louis Delmas in late round 1.

18. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    We are gonna trade down to the *** end half of round one and pick up a second at the same time. Rey M. will fall to us in the late 20's and then will get that P Chung from Oregon...

DONE DEAL lets go drink...

• Like Like x 1
  19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    the first round worthy OT will be gone at 16, plus, I don't know that you want to spend a first rounder on the right side of the OL

The only DT (Raji) will be gone also

So my first option would be trade down and grab a secound round pick, or, second, get Maulauga, he would be an instant starter (or at least have a shot in TC)

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If Chip Vaughn lasts until our 3rd I'd snap him up.

I think we take Hood in the 1st. Whether we trade down to do it or stay put is the question. Like has been said already - J.Smith, Monroe, Oher, A.Smith, Raji, Jackson - they're gone by 16, IMO. So then the question is ..... one of the USC 'backers or DE? I choose DE. I think Hood can make a difference.

Later we try to grab someone like Chris Baker or Hill to try behind Jamal.

21. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If we waste a first on Cushing I'll be pissed.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    agreed

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    #1. Rey will not be a bust. You guys are high if you think so.

#2. Although I believe in beef, the problem is ALL THE GOOD BEEF WILL BE GONE. I don't want AJ reachig for some projected 2nd rounder just for the sake of beef. I strongly believe Rey will be an impact player in the NFL and I guarantee if he's staring us in the face @ 16 and we pass on him, or worse, trade down, we will regret it just like passing on Polamalu. Take that to the bank, sig me, whatever. Maualuga will be a badass in the NFL, and he better be wearing Bolts when he does so.

24. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    QF M'FIN T!

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Agree :tup:, my only concern with Maualuga is he hits late and he goes for the head, that might cost a couple of 15 yarders :tdown:

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its all gonna come down to how much the chargers can get with a trade down.

Its been mentioned but next year will be the last year for rookies to possibly get huge contracts because of the possible change in how rookies will be paid. So alot of college players should be going pro next year. MIght be a great idea on getting some early rounders for next year if possible. I'm having to guess but alot of teams are gonna try the same.

• Like Like x 1
  27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hey, we need an enforcer on this D! Heck, I remember when Rodney had that role here....:yes:

28. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Exactly.

Pussies need not apply.

• Like Like x 1
  29. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    we need rey hes a beast

30. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member