1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mayock's takes on the Chargers 1st pick

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Mayock thinks Chargers should draft Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper

[​IMG]
    Alabama offensive linemen Chance Warmack, left, and Barrett Jones pose together during a media availability, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Alabama will play Notre Dame on Jan. 7 in the NCAA college football BCS Championship game. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee) — AP

Mike Mayock likes how the draft’s first round is setting up for the Chargers.
    A “really solid” offensive lineman should be available at No. 11, the NFL Network analyst said during a teleconference on Monday.
    When I asked him about the Chargers, Mayock stumped for two left guards, Alabama’s Chance Warmack and North Carolina’s Jonathan Cooper, saying that "if either of those guards is there, which one of them should be, I think it's a home run."
    Mayock rates Warmack the best player in the draft.
    At left tackle, also a position of need for the Chargers, Mayock gave first-round grades to six players, led by Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M, Eric Fisher of Central Michigan, and Lane Johnson of Oklahoma.
    He suggested that if the Chiefs don't retain left tackle Branden Albert, a free agent, or make Warmack the first guard in NFL draft history to be chosen No. 1, they should take Joeckel.
    He said Fisher could go soon after Joeckel, describing each blocker as a "prototypical left tackle” in the mold of Joe Thomas, the Browns’ six-time Pro Bowler.
    “I don’t think there’s as much difference between Fisher and Luke Joeckel as a lot of people think,” he said.
    Johnson, a fourth-year junior who graduated from Oklahoma, caught Mayock’s eye last month with his showcase performance against other draft-eligible players. “Lane Johnson, boy, did he have a great Senior Bowl,” he said. “Loved him.”
    To hear Mayock, Alabama cornerback Dee Milliner and Oregon outside linebacker-end Dion Jordan also bear watching at No. 11.
    “But I think the biggest need is certainly offensive line,” he said, “and I think the Chargers are going to have a choice of a guard or a tackle at that point, and they should be really solid with either of them.”
    As much as Mayock likes Warmack, he rates Cooper the better athlete and said the North Carolina senior should show well at the NFL combine in Indianapolis later this month. Among the observers will be Chargers offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris.
    "He’s one of the most athletic guards I've ever seen," Mayock said. "I think this is a showcase for Jonathan Cooper."

2. DesertBoltFan

DesertBoltFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Once Mathews and Lewan went back into school, Chance has been my guy at 11, I think I even have a mock draft around showing it. I am a huge Auburn fan and watch a ton of SEC games, saw that Alabama OL many times last year. Everyone on that line is impressive, but I can tell you that Chance Warmack stood out everytime I saw him play. Folks we need an OL and NFL OL for the future. Of course LT is a need but when two real options went off the board and the guys left are either going to be gone or are significant reaches at 11 then you fix another problem at OG and start build the best damn OL in football starting with the best OFFENSIVE LINEMAN in this draft. There are good LT we can get in the second or third rounds Dallas Thomas, Kyle Long, Justin Pugh, Brennan Williams ( injured). For years we have let the best players at their positions go to other tems, it is time we start reversing that trend.
    Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing our first 4 picks go towards the OL. It has to be done and a great OL is as important as a Franchise QB, or it better be anyway.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Guards are extremely undervalued in the draft. Very few 1st round guards are busts. and many of the top offensive lines feature at least one guard who was a high draft pick. If we draft Warmack and re-sign Vasquez (I wish), then, all of the sudden, the only glaring whole to fill on the offensive line is LT. I know Clary is nobody's favorite, but he's nowhere near as bad as some of the other OL who have started for us over the past couple seasons.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I'll say this, I see where Mayock is coming from with Cooper. He reminds quite of a bit of Logan Mankins and can play all 3 interior line positions - something I'm not certain Warmack can do (I'm only confident in two - he might be able to play center in a pinch, but I think he's kind of wasted there).

This is where I'm torn on Warmack - he literally does blow Decastro from last year out of the water. The guy has legitimate Larry Allen potential if he continues at the rate he's on (he'll turn 22 during his rookie season) at present. And I'll be honest - with his arm length (nearly 35") - I wouldn't put it past him to be able to play RT in a pinch like Allen did.

The thing is... we hear "value meeting need" plenty and sadly, even when Mayock and others are saying that he could be a Top 10 pick, OG just isn't considered to be as "valuable" a position. I'm not saying I wouldn't take the guy because he has utility beyond just "guard", but I'm saying that a Guard hasn't gone in the Top 15 since Chris Naoele in 1998 (so we're talking 15 years) - and it's not like there hasn't been guys with HOF potential/ceilings to have come out at the guard positions since then (Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson, Logan Mankins, Mike Iupati). It's going to take either a really ballsy GM to take Warmack in the Top 15 or one who truly doesn't factor positional value into his formula.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I've got 2 main concerns this year.
    1. How we're gonna keep Rivers from getting sacked 50 times again.
    2. Not allowing the defense to decline.

I don't see how going OG in the 1st round helps either that much, especially considering its not that hard to find undersized mobile guards to play a zone blocking scheme. The only way I'm okay with going Warmack or Cooper at 11 is if we go out and sign a legitimate veteran LT in free agency and all of the top pass rushers are gone at that point....and even then I might still take Johnson to play on the right side and replace Clary, or attempt to find a trade down before I start worrying about guards.

I'm actually pretty concerned about who's going to play opposite Melvin Ingram, a guy who is a jack of all trades but is not actually a great pass rusher off the edge. Losing Phillips will hurt (in the short term), Johnson isn't a pass rusher, and Barnes isn't a 3 down guy. I really want Jordan, Warner, or Moore.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Except that there are different types of zone-schemes. Zone-blocking is a principle, much like the 3-4 formation, there are a number of different offenses in which it can be implemented. What looks to be what D'Alessandris has run in the past is far more a power-zone scheme, so no... "undersized", athletic guards aren't going to cut the mustard. The smallest interior linemen in D'Alessandris' lines have been Rodney Hudson and Andy Levitre, neither of whom were drafted when D'Alessandris first came to the team but who were too talented to push down the depth chart. Chad Rinehart is 6'5", 321 lbs. Jon Asamoah is 6'4", 305 lbs. You're correct on the "athletic" part, but the undersized part is off by what appears to be his (and Whiz's) preference.

And for the record, Rivers was getting abused up the middle just as much as off the edge last year. In fact, the fact that he couldn't step up into the pocket to avoid the pass-rush because the point of the pocket was being driven back almost immediately off the snap was very much responsible for him being sacked that many times.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Does anyone have a subscription to the UT web site that wouldn't mind posting Ghelken and Acee articles up on here, for some reason when I go to check them out it says I need a subscription to the news paper

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    You get 10 free articles a month to read..... unless, you clear your browser cookies. ;)