1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mayor Sanders to tour cities for Charger stadium ideas

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Sanders plans U.S. tour for Chargers stadium ideas
    Written by
    Matthew T. Hall

In his strongest show of support yet for building the Chargers a new football stadium, San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders and three advisers will leave Wednesday for a three-day nationwide tour of downtown sports and entertainment districts to get ideas for what might work locally.

They'll visit Indianapolis, Kansas City, Mo., and Denver.

"The mayor doesn't want to make any decision in a vacuum," aide Darren Pudgil said. "He wants to see what other cities have done to see whether they've succeeded and where they may have failed.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel if there are concepts out there that we think may benefit San Diego."

The announcement of Sanders' trip comes one week after the Los Angeles City Council gave tentative approval to a $1.5 billion deal to build a football stadium and renovate the convention center in downtown L.A. The developer behind the project, AEG, wants to lock in a team and begin construction within a year, prompting many onlookers to speculate that the Chargers might be on the move because its lease is the easiest to break among seven teams seen as potential tenants in a Los Angeles stadium.

The Chargers are able to end a deal with the city to use Qualcomm Stadiumthrough 2020 by paying an early-termination fee every year between February 1 and May 1. Next year that payment would be $24 million, which AEG has said it would pay.

On his trip, Sanders will be joined by chief of staff Julie Dubick, deputy chief of staff Aimee Faucett and Fred Maas, a former San Diego redevelopment official who has advised Sanders for months on the stadium issue privately. Tuesday, Sanders is naming Maas special assistant to the mayor on a sports and entertainment district project for San Diego. The position is unpaid and Maas will pay his own way on this week's cross-country tour, Pudgil said.

He said the cost to the city for the three others will be about $2,500 and that the trip has been in the works for months.

In the last 15 months, Maas has visited Indianapolis and toured two newNational Football League stadiums used by the Dallas Cowboys and jointly by the New York Giants and Jets.

Maas said the scale of those two places isn't "applicable to where we are." The three areas being visited this week at his suggestion offer more relevant lessons, he said.

"We're not on a trip of folly looking at a bunch of facilities that are not replicable here in San Diego," he said.

Sanders' Wednesday trip to Kansas City will visit a district that is home to more than 200 restaurants, nearly 80 art galleries and the Sprint Center, which was built in 2007 and visitkc.com brags here is one of the busiest arenas "on the planet." No major league sports team plays there currently but it hosts many concerts.

Thursday, Sanders will visit Indianapolis Wholesale District where the Colts got a new stadium in 2008 as part of a project that included a massive renovation of the city's convention center. "All in all," visitindy.com purrs here, "the Wholesale District is a vibrant destination where the business deals get done during the day, and the celebrations and memory-making happen at night."

Friday, Sanders will stop in Denver to visit Invesco Field, where the Broncos have played since 2001, and away from that venue, the LoDo(Lower Downtown) District, which promoters say here "is the place in Denver to eat, shop, and stay." Lodo.org raves, "A vibrant mixed-use neighborhood, LoDo offers something for everyone, from the day tourist to the lifelong resident."

Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani, who has spearheaded the team's search for a new stadium since 2002, said the timing of Sanders' trip is as significant as the trip itself.

"The public demonstration is important at this point because of all the questions that have been raised about Los Angeles in recent weeks," Fabiani said.

He added: "I think it shows the mayor's seriousness, which is something we've seen privately for quite some time. It enforces what we already understood, which is he'd really like to find a solution here in San Diego, as would we."

Fabiani called AEG's desire to have a shovel in the ground by June "really far-fetched" and suggested San Diegans view the dueling Los Angeles football stadium proposals -- Majestic Realty has proposed one in nearby City of Industry -- as "hovering out there but not something that's breathing down your neck."

Despite AEG's hope to begin construction within a year, the developer still needs to complete and get approval for an environmental study of project impacts on the area. It also must land a team, a deal that would likely require a split ownership between the developer and the team's current owner as well as a possible relocation fee of up to hundreds of millions of dollars assessed by the league for the right to play in the nation's second-largest media market.

Pudgil said it's premature to speculate about possible public funding sources for any San Diego stadium plan that may evolve from conversations following the mayor's trip. Fabiani has suggested for years a stadium could cost $800 million and said the league and team might be able to contribute $300 million but that public money would have to be part of the equation.

That has caused a debate among taxpayers and fans that is sure to pick up if and when any financing plan emerges in the months ahead. The Chargers and the Mayor's Office said they would like to put a plan before voters in November 2012.

Picking up on the theme of a public subsidy, Pudgil summed up why the mayor was taking three days away from his other duties for his coming trip.

"Before hundreds of millions of dollars of public money are spent, we have to do our due diligence," Pudgil said. "We have to look at other facilities and learn what went right and what didn't."

He added: "We're looking at attracting more people to downtown and having more events downtown by building a multi-use stadium. We're talking about much more than eight to 12 football games a year. We're talking about different uses that bring more people to downtown."

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It's really nice on the eyes to read the story but how much promise does this really raise?

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    You'd have better luck raising Scorpio then getting anything done in the fine city of San Damn Diego.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like it. Isnt this the first thing he has said about keeping the team in SD? And hes taking 3 days off from his JOB to tour cities for a brainstorming session? Im hoping hes sincere and can get something done. WAIT how far away are elections? Hes just timing this right for a re-election perhaps??

5. Mobius

Mobius BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    So they want to vote in November 2012, but the Chargers will have probably already committed to Los Angeles between February and April of 2012. We need to move faster Mr. Mayor!

I really hope / want them to stay in San Diego myself, it is a great place to go to a football game.

Also are they really looking at an indoor stadium? Better have a retractable roof. The weather is way too nice here to be indoors.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Too little, too late IMO. This reeks of grandstanding to me, so when the team leaves, Sanders can say "But but but I tried, I really did. Remember that grand tour of 3 stadiums I went on?" LOL

Notice how the Spanos' haven't come out and said WHOA WAIT A MINUTE WHO SAID WERE GOING TO L.A??? Silence sometimes speaks louder than words.

And just so it's perfectly clear and no one gets the wrong idea based on a few of my recent posts, I DON'T WANT THE TEAM TO LEAVE, but I understand if they do.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    they can't say that publicly, it would take away leverage with the city

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Smokescreen

• Like Like x 1
  9. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Umm, maybe because some other AFC team is already slotted to make the move?

Raiders or Jags, possibly?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would still love to see this be a project paid for, voted on, and benefiting all cities/residents in SD county

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Raiders have said, only a few weeks ago, that they are staying in the bay area. LA is off the table for them and the Vikes who have said the same thing

12. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    So did the Jags owner, not sure how much truth there is to any of them but yeah all three of those teams have been quoted as saying they are staying.

13. Mobius

Mobius BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Raiders should join the 49ers and do a duel team stadium like New York did. It really makes a lot of sense when you think about how few games are played in football. Plus I really, really don't want them back anywhere around here.

Sent from my Epic Android using Tapatalk

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Which would be perfect, since the two fan bases loathe one another. :D

15. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    As someone already said... to little, to late. :(

Enjoy this last season of San Diego Chargers football. Next year it is Los Angeles Chargers football. At least we will not have to change our domain name! :p

16. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    San Diego's ace in the hole? The team that moves to LA would have to give up significant (possibly controlling) ownership of the franchise.

Also, the Mayor wants this issue on the ballot (2012) before the end of his term and no he's not up for re-election.

17. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I just want the Chargers to stay in San Diego. If they moved to LA- i'd stop watching pro football altogether

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Honestly the Chargers have said the same thing as well but no one here seems to believe what they say..

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    the stench that would come out of there would have be masked by 1,000,000,000,000 Airfresheners, then everything the Raiders would do to make it “their” house, the 49er fans would hang pink and purple lace around the jointjust to hide it

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Don't they do that anyway? #imjustsaying

21. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    yup, cant you just see a Raiders Logo with lace around it?

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Really? That seems a bit extreme.

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    there are a lot of people who think that, I am one of those. I will NEVER root for a team that calls LA home.

24. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Right, but would you stop watching pro football altogether?

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    yes I would, its Chargers or nothing.

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This is ground control to Major Sander's, you left San Diego such a long, long time ago. On a fact finding mission you departed, have you really enjoyed your philandering?

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Not watching pro football ever again just because your favorite team has to relocate 2 hours north because their current city is ******* stupid seems way too over the top reactionary and extreme. Burning all your Chargers gear and denouncing the team for leaving is one thing, but NEVER watching pro football again?

28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I feel like a trader when I say it, but as long as they are still the "Chargers" I will root for them if they move to LA.

That said I'll still chant "beat LA" and I won't buy any apparel. ;)

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    ONCE AGAIN PHUQUE LA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will NEVER root for a team that calls LA home, and I am glad the Clippers moved up there. I quit watching the NBA, I can quit watching the NFL just as easy.

30. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    no you won't - football is like going on a hunger strike after awhile everyone always gives in