1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mays Stays

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RM24, Jan 13, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Just messed up my draft. Back to the drawing board.....

http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/football/la-sp-usc-football14-2009jan14,0,2395094.story

Taylor Mays to return to USC

The All-American free safety was projected as a first-round NFL draft pick but says, 'There's some things I need to work on that I think will really help me elevate my game.'

By Gary Klein
    January 14, 2009

USC safety Taylor Mays began last season thinking it would be his last with the Trojans.

Midway through the schedule, he was 50-50 about leaving for professional football. After the Trojans' Rose Bowl victory over Penn State, the three-year starter was ready to turn pro.

But on Tuesday, Mays announced that he would return for his final season of eligibility.

"I wanted to leave. I still want to leave, but I just think it would be best for me to stay, the best for my future," he said during a brief interview on campus.

Mays, an All-American and Thorpe Award finalist, was projected as a first-round draft pick in the NFL draft. Juniors and third-year sophomores, including quarterback Mark Sanchez, have until Thursday to declare for the April draft.

Mays did not wait for the deadline.

"I can't say I want to come back so I can take Spanish 2, but I just think it would be best for me in the long run," he said. "It might affect making a million dollars right now but hopefully in 10 or 20 years I'll look back on it and be like, 'That was the right decision.' "

Mays said his parents and other adults he respects played a role in his decision to return. Former teammates such as Lawrence Jackson and Thomas Williams, who recently completed their first NFL seasons, also influenced his choice.

"They all told me to stay," Mays said. "I trust those guys and feel like it's in my heart."

Coach Pete Carroll said in a statement that he was "delighted" that Mays was returning, describing him as "one of the most gifted safeties to ever play at USC."

Mays said throughout the season that he would do what Carroll advised.

"He just kind of told me to come back and kind of just fine-tune my game," Mays said. "There's some things I need to work on that I think will really help me elevate my game.

"Sometimes, people don't see that. They just see the accolades or something, but there's stuff within that that I think I can really get better at. I'm going to work on those things and take it to another level."

Mays' return bolsters a defense that lost its entire starting linebacker corps, two defensive linemen and safety Kevin Ellison. Josh Pinkard, who plays cornerback and safety, is awaiting word from the NCAA regarding his petition for a sixth year of eligibility.

Linebacker Malcolm Smith said Mays' return is huge for the Trojans.

"He's been starting since he was a freshman so he's obviously going to be a leader," Smith said. "We'll definitely look to him for guidance. He's going to play a big role."

Defensive coordinator Rocky Seto, who coaches defensive backs, was thrilled with Mays decision.

"Sometimes you can get caught up in the momentum of popular opinion of the outside world," Seto said, adding that for Mays to turn pro, "may have been a no-brainier for some people. But when you're happy somewhere that means a lot."

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Mays is a linebacker in disguise, I'd rather have Willie Moore out of Missouri if we're going Saftey in the first round.

We could even trade down in the first and probably still get him, and get our 2nd rounder we wasted on Hester back.

3. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Looks like we'll have to get Dawkins :flag:

4. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Bad decision by Mays. SC's defense was the best in the country, it is only going to get worse next year. Mays' stock will probably drop accordingly.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah, but on the brightside this guy (link) declared.

MY BOY!!! 1500yds, 21TD's, as a redshirt sophomore.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He's missed a chance to be the top safety off the board but hey its his choice

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    He's overrated. A linebacker in disguise.

If we need a saftey it has to be a coverage guy, more like Ed Reed and less like Roy Williams.

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Broncos probably would have picked him before us anyways.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

I think the Broncos are hard up for Rey Maualuga actually.

They are turning to a 3-4, which means they're gonna have to restructure that entire defense starting with the front seven.

10. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Mays will be a stud in the mold of a Sean Taylor/Adrian Wilson.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Or Roy Williams:tdown: