1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCardell keeps producing

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Take a look at Keenan McCardell’s numbers in 2006 and you’ll probably be impressed. The then 35-year-old receiver caught 70 passes for 917 yards and a career-high nine touchdowns. Ask the two-time Pro Bowl performer what he thinks of it, and he just shrugs his shoulders.

“A lot of people thought it was great because of my age,” McCardell said. “Age doesn’t matter. I’ve had better years. Last year was a good year, but it wasn’t great by my standards.”

Age has treated McCardell well and taught him plenty. He spent his rookie year on injured reserve after being drafted in the 12th round by the Washington Redskins. He was released four times over the course of his first three seasons, jumping back and forth from the Cleveland Browns’ practice squad before sticking late in the 1993 season.

“Once I got on the field, my thing was to never be (out of football) again unless it was my choice,” McCardell said. “That motivates you. I wanted to show people that I could play this game. You live and learn. Sometimes adversity makes you better. Now I want to be the perfect player.”

Since he arrived in San Diego two years ago, McCardell has come close. He’s been productive on the field, been active in the community and helped mentor a group of young wide receivers.

click the link for the full article.
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/mccardell-keeps-producing.htm

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    KMac still looks like the spittin image of "Leon"!!:icon_mrgreen: :lol: :icon_rofl:

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    You cant post Charger.com images, they block them.

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    But I can see it....I don't understand what you mean it gets blocked???

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/keenan-mccardell.htm

Like fine wine, Keenan McCardell keeps getting better with age. In his last two full seasons, the 36-year-old McCardell has posted the two highest single-season touchdown tallies of his career. With 825 career regular-season catches, the saavy McCardell comes into the 2006 season ranked 10th on the NFL’s all-time receiving list. Those 825 catches have amassed 10,680 regular-season receiving yards, 19th-best in NFL annals, as he embarks on his 15th season of professional football.

There was no letup in McCardell’s game in 2005. He was the team’s second-leading receiver behind Antonio Gates. McCardell finished the season with 70 catches for 917 yards and a career-high nine touchdowns. Keenan and Antonio combined to catch 19 touchdown passes in 2005, the most TD catches by a Chargers duo since 1980 when John Jefferson (13) and Kellen Winslow (9) caught 22.

In the Chargers thrilling 26-17 win over the then-unbeaten Indianapolis Colts, McCardell had a milestone afternoon. He caught three passes against the Colts at the RCA Dome to extend his streak of consecutive games with a catch to 100. His first catch of the game, which enabled him to reach the milestone, was a 29-yard touchdown that gave San Diego a 7-0 lead. Later in the fourth quarter, McCardell made a great play to get open and caught a season-long 54-yard pass that would prove to be one of the team’s biggest offensive plays of the season. It bailed the Chargers out of a third-and-nine from their own nine-yard line and it helped set up the field goal that gave San Diego a 19-17 lead that they would not relinquish.

With catches in both of the season’s final two games, Keenan now heads into the 2006 season riding a streak of 102 consecutive games with a catch. The last time he was held without a catch in a game was Dec. 20, 1998.

McCardell is a five-time 1,000-yard receiver. He has 27 career 100-yard receiving games and 11 career multi-touchdown games. Not bad for a guy who was a 12th-round pick and was the 45th of 46 wide receivers chosen in the 1991 NFL Draft.

McCardell’s longevity in the National Football League is no surprise. Last season, Keenan was one of only seven Chargers to start all 16 games, and since 1995 he has missed only six games due to injury.

Keenan and his wife Nicole have four children. When he’s not busy with football, Keenan often takes on the role of Mr. Mom, driving the kids to and from school, ballet lessons and gymnastics. In between, he manages to squeeze in a few rounds of golf.

In February 2005, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame at his alma mater, Nevada-Las Vegas.

Keenan is an admitted video game junkie. In 2002 he won the Game Before The Game, sponsored by PlayStation, at Super Bowl XXXVII. In 2003 he competed in the 989 Quarterback Challenge.

McCardell is one of the league’s most active participants in community outreach. He is the founder of the Touching Hands Foundation. It is based in Jacksonville, Florida, where he played from 1996-2001. Last December he hosted Keenan’s Holiday Shopping Spree in San Diego, taking 10 underprivileged children on a shopping spree at a local toy store. He hosted similar events in Tampa Bay in 2002 and ’03. The foundation also supports breast cancer awareness and education. He created a program that provides breast cancer screenings for women in low-income areas, and annually he awards college scholarships to high school juniors and seniors. In 2000 Keenan was the Jaguars’ Walter Payton/NFL Man of the Year for his active role in the Jacksonville community. From 1997-2004 Keenan and recently-retired Jaguars wide receiver, Jimmy Smith, co-hosted football camps in Jacksonville. In 2004 Keenan hosted a camp of his own at Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida.

When his playing career comes to an end, McCardell plans to continue his work in the community. He also has expressed interest in a career as an investment banker or in the personnel department of an NFL front office. While playing in Jacksonville, Keenan spent two-and-a-half years as an intern at Merrill Lynch, learning about the investment banking industry.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    The Chargers have blocked hotlinking. You see it because the picture is in the local cache on your computer, but the rest of us just see a silly logo they put up.