1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCoy extended to 2017

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 8, 2016.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    And here I thought he would get a 3 year extension.

3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    This makes sense for a franchise which is provenly committed to mediocrity. Don't expect to be getting any battle proven coaching assistances unless they have been financially irresponsible and are already or about to default on their mortgages.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Lolz

This better attract a better coaching staff, deal was done to show 'faith' and also let it be known to coaches he won't be a lame duck.

5. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Added to job description: "must be prepared to help move boxes onto the Mayflower moving trucks!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    It gets worse..... Telesco said that play calling is "overrated"... It's all about game planning. :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    He's speaking to a coaching staff that publicly said they recycled their gameplan :laugh:

Remember, we traveled @Cincinnati then @Minnesota the following week, and it was either Rivers/Reich/McCoy that said we will be recycling the gameplan from the previous week because it has the same concepts against the same defense, since Zimmer was Cincy's defensive coordinator for 6 seasons before taking his job with Minnesota.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    If it ain't broke....... :cautious: :confused: :p :laugh: :roflmao:

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Isn't it funny how business works?

"Hey here's another couple million dollars guaranteed so it won't look like your job is in serious jeopardy."

Well consider me fooled, well played Deano, well played.:tup:

10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    There goes the famously vaunted Chargers half-time adjustment :D

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    The Chargers brain trust...... an oxymoron if there ever was one. :laugh:

12. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Lets copy cleveland and fire the head coach after 1 bad season plagued with injuries. You know the team that perenially fires their head coach and all their problems go away and they just win superbowl after superbowl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm not even going to bother to create another BT moniker (unlike Matilack) when I come back to troll those LA bound arsewipes. I'm sure that RobDog is no chickensh*t sycophant like that disgraceful FatherTom is on CMB ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    And in equally shocking news the Sun was seen rising over the Eastern horizon this morning.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Why aren't you guys not worried that he'll be here for 2 more years than needed?

Just Lose Baby - 2016 Chargers mantra.

If we're gonna suck and be stuck with McCoy, we might as well tank and hope JohnJohn and Tom minion(Blitzy trademark) a few blue chippers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Just to register my other trademark, LJS was also coined by yours truly. Personally speaking, he's too peasantly to elevate him to aristocracy by referring to him as John-Jonh (RIP)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Paraphrasing James Carville and adjusting for the subject matter:

IT'S THE PLAYERS, STUPID!!!!!!!

Get better players and all of a sudden the coaching will start to look a lot better. FFS, even Norv Turner could win with a good roster and he was the worst coach ever.

This roster sucks mightily. Try lamenting ownership's lack of getting a GM that actually has a clue about how to assemble a roster full of talent instead of concluding that a coach that led the team to two consecutive 9-7 seasons suddenly hit himself in the head with a hammer and could no longer remember how to coach. Seriously, do any of you see the illogical nature of what you are saying?

Finally, let's get the guy's name straight. He is not Tom Minion. He is Tom Moron.

19. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    So John Spanos isn't responsible for this mess? So It's all Tom's fault and not his boss? The man has been here longer and while he just became his boss recently he is the Son of the owner and undoubtedly has a big say in draft and personal.

This isn't to come off as thinking I believe Tom is a good GM, I don't. But maybe more people would understand your point better if some how you gave a balanced perspective on things. Find some way to give him credit where its due(Allen, Perryman and

He certainly isn't the Worst GM since 2013. The Browns Farmer and the Titans Webster the cake.

20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I think it is a close call regarding Telesco versus the GMs of the other teams you named regarding which has been the worst in the NFL over the past three seasons. Telesco has had more hits per draft pick than Farmer, but Farmer arranged to have more picks and probably has done a little better in free agency. The Browns definitely had a better draft than we did in 2015.

We have fallen further in terms of difference in record than the Browns have from where the two teams were in 2012. We have fallen the same amount as the Titans have. I think we had the far better talent than those other teams when Telesco took over--essentially a functioning OL away from being a playoff team with a top 10 defense, and star quality players at QB, TE and RB already in place (until Telesco blew the defense up).

I am already on record as saying that I fault whoever is responsible for the bad moves that have been made. However, while Telesco undoubtedly consults with and informs the Spanoses of what he is doing, there has not been one scintilla of evidence presented in support of the proposition that anyone other than Telesco has been responsible for making the moves in question.

Moreover, it makes no sense that the Spanoses would hire a GM if John Spanos is the de facto GM. Why pay a man to do nothing if John Spanos is doing that job?

Until there is anything other than the presently 100% uniform evidence that the moves are Telesco's moves, that is who I am going to blame for assembling the currently horrible roster.

As for the good moves Telesco has made, I would say that even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time and even a broken clock is right twice per day. Yes, Telesco has drafted a few good players, but no Pro Bowlers. By contrast A.J. drafted/acquired in the 2004 draft/UDFA signings 6 players that made the Pro Bowl plus Igor Olshansky and Malcom Floyd. That's just one draft plus UDFA signings.

That one draft blows away Telesco's entire three year period as GM in terms of players added out of college.

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Of course he's fully responsible. His last name is Spanos so that makes him a convenient scapegoat!

22. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    That's weak Bollywood. He's the President of football Operations of the Charges. It's not just the name. LJS has been hand groomed since his 2007 debut as an official scout to take over the football side of the franchise. To criticize LJS heavily for blunders, in no way, shape or form exonerates Tom Minion but the debate is about the weight of LJS's past decisions as far as the team talent goes. Maybe he will be less of a meddling character since he's now the P instead of the VP!

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I know it's not just the name.

Finding the guy at the top and placing all the blame on his feet is common sports fan M.O.

The fact that they can also claim nepotism just makes it easier.

24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    IMO nepotism with this family is beyond mere claims, but maybe that's just me ;)

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Well, of course it is because it makes for an easy scapegoat!

26. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I like goats, specially the fainting types:

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Here's exhibit A

Last I checked the GM was Tom Telesco

But I guess we can blame the bad picks on "L'l Johnny" and credit the good ones to Telesco that way we can run our narrative!

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Obviously! I'm mean how else do expect us to win arguments? Use our brians or sumthang??

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    The fact of the matter that no sports fan really wants to admit is that we don't really know squat about what's going on and who's most to blame.

We have some insight based on what we see on the field and during press conferences, but gameday is the end result of behind-the-scenes practices, coaching, and is also subject to circumstance. Meanwhile, press conferences don't really provide us much insight because it's clouded mostly by people trying to say the right things to the public.

30. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Nice try but that isn't what I meant. I was saying not having any criticism directed at John Spanos and ONLY at Telesco is foolish. You can say that Telesco is the G.M and it's all his duty but Spanos has been a scout for this team for a while and we'll our records speak for themselves.

I do believe he has had a hand in our successful picks and free agency as he has with the mistakes.