1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCoy likely to be fired after Broncos game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 1, 2016.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    20% my hairy white backside. More like 2%, and likely to be less if they go with the Raiders or Rams, who are more popular.

My top 5 coaching candidates...

Sean Payton (pipe dream)
    Sean McDermott
    Hue Jackson
    Teryl Austin
    David Shaw

In that order. Not really a sexy list, but it wasn't last time either. I sure wish we had hired Bruce Arians.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
  4. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    Arians was probably the right choice.

I would feel better about them canning McCoy if there was a chance the brain trust could make a good decision this time. No confidence that they can tho

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Yeah, a crack pipe dream...

crack02.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Hope this doesn't turn into a Norv circa 2011 situation where he was expected to get fired, won a game and all of a sudden was kept around. Then again Raiders then not the same as the Broncos trying to win to get in.

Top Coaching choices for me

1) Hue Jackson
    2) Josh McDaniels
    3) Mike Shula
    4) Teryl Austin
    5) Ken Whisenhunt

(Sean Payton isn't in this list because I don't buy he's interested in the Bolts)

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    He should be interested in any and every team with a solid veteran QB situation.

The idea of McDouche wearing his fanboy cut off hoodie on our sideline makes me sick to my stomach.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'll also concur with Blue Bae and go with ABM who is willing to accept less than 2.5 Mil per year and lap up any sh*tty player whom LJS and Tom Minion will be drafting for the next Chargers HC'ing hopeful.

P.S. After thinking about it for a mere handful of minutes, who is ready to be introduced to Frank Reich as the next Tom Minion HC? :laugh: :roflmao: :sneaky: :whistling:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    McCoy is a nice guy, and a good offensive co-ordinator, probably in retrospect his personality makes him a good fit as OC but not really head coach material.

Hoping this means Frank Reich is gone too, he is not a very good OC at all.

10. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    Denver warned us about McCoy. His rep as an OC was exaggerated

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    So when will Chuck Pagano be our new head coach? You know it's about time we make it official as the West Coast Colts.

12. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^^^ We still need another replacement RB for Donald Brown too, then it's official.

13. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    But it's all about the continuity! Promote Frank Reich! (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit).

14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    When have fans ever said anything good about a coordinator that left to become head coach of a division rival?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    When Frank Reich will become the new Los Angeles Chargers HC :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Lawyers guns & money

Ratings:
    +108
    You frame it very narrowly but there are plenty of coordinators who fans feel good about when they leave. They liked Mike Zimmer in Cincy, liked Arians in Indy, etc

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Mike Zimmer and Bruce Arians didn't go to division rivals.

But the fact of the matter is there is always a contingent of sports fans who don't like their respective team's coordinators, or at least retrospectively don't like them now that they are no longer on their favorite team. As irrational as it may sound every fan base has homers in their crowd and that's how they operate. Then when you factor in Monday morning QBs operating on their 20/20 hindsight you'll also find the contingent of fans that didn't like an otherwise popular coordinator the whole time.

And if you're a fan of said ex-coordinator's new team that he became a head coach for then you'll be sure to find a contingent of fans who "warned" the new team about him.

I'm not a fan of Mike McCoy, though. I think I'd prefer Norval to him. I'm just saying pointing at the "warnings" of fans of a division rival hardly serves as any kind of definitive proof.

18. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    If Reich went as HC to Denver, KC, Chokeland, I may not warn the fans on their forums, but I'd laugh!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Looks like we're stuck with McCoy at least another year.....

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Says who?

Have there been any official announcements that I missed?

Because the last two times this team fired the head coach it didn't happen until well after the final game.

In fact, the time before last was way later than it should have been.

21. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    When is Black Monday again?

22. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The day they announce McCoy's 3 year extension.

23. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The local NBC channel just reported that LJS (Little John Spanos) will be making the decision on Mike McCoy's future. For those of you who thought that this team had a real GM, think again!

24. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    How the Spanos family makes executive decisions with little John at the helm:

one_two_logo.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The decision as to whether to retain McYoc totally hinges on the success of the relocation or there lack of in 2016. If the Chargers stay pat in San Diego, then in most likely of scenarios McYoc will stay, because he has had to endure a horrendous injury filled season, as long as he is willing to revamp and improve on his coaching staff.

If the team does manage to gain enough votes on the relocation application, then all bets may be off with respect to McYoc although by then most of the coaching vacancies will be filled with the most sought after out of work HCs!

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    If spanos really wants to fu@k the fans keep mc coy

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Because letting the ownership team make a decision on the head coach hasn't been standard practice for this team?

Oh wait, are we still beating the drum that AJ Smith fired Marty? I've lost track.

28. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Beating something, not necessarily a drum!

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    How are we supposed to have an internet fight if you make jokes?

30. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Arians is overrated. The Cardinals are probably the most talented team in the NFL. Steve Keim is the hero there. When Keim took over, that team was a 5-11 last place team. He has built the team into a Super Bowl contender. Even with a 30 point loss yesterday, they still finished the regular season with 176 more points scored than allowed, good for 2nd in the NFL (behind only CAR) and giving them a +11 average scoring margin per game.

By contrast, in the case of the Chargers, when the GM has managed to gut the roster to the point that among all players (active plus injured plus practice squad) there is only half of a legitimate NFL roster, the team is not going to win and it does not matter in the least who the coach is.

The most important element by far to a team's success is the actual talent on the team. We are a bottom 5 team in terms of talent. If you take away the aging A.J. players and look at what Telesco has done (as opposed to what was already done for him), it is very arguable that Telesco has been the single worst GM in the NFL over the last three years.

There can be no argument at all that the team is much, much worse than it was when he took over.

Until someone in the front office gets a clue as to how to build a team, this team will continue to lose and lose badly. Until there is a change there, who cares who coaches the team to another losing season?