1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McCoy Shames Troutman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Burlington Bolt Brother, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/04/johnnie-troutman-chargers-king-dunlap-vontaze/

"You have to be poised under pressure," McCoy said. "It's something that whether you get baited or not, it's unacceptable. That's what I told him instantly after the play happened. I'm sure you all saw that. After the game, talking to the team, it's something we can't accept. You don't want any unsportsmanlike conducts. ... That's kind of certain players' jobs to bait you into certain penalties. You have to stay away from it. It really hurt our football team."

Response from Hardwick about the play...

"It's probably a learning experience, but to me, the positive to come out of that is you have a guy who is willing to fight," Hardwick said. "You've got a guy who's willing to stand up and not be messed with. That's what you want on your offensive line — a bunch of tough guys.

2. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +293
    A bit of a "Conflict of Interest"....I reckon....:cautious:

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    As long as McCoy told him how stupid it was to get caught but just make sure he got the first shot in next time, it's all good.

4. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Even if he said that in private, McCoy shouldn't have said what he said to the press. Players will not dig this

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Shite rolls downhill and McCoy may have heard from his bosses, just a guess being that it's Thursday and all.

6. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    If he gets shat on he should stop it from reaching players making an impact with their play and attitude. How about, "We had a conversation about it, he's a smart young man and there's no need to go into it further. He's a great player who plays hard and we're fortunate to have him on the team".

7. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    anything but what he said. "That's what I told him instantly after the play happened. I'm sure you all saw that"? Maybe Telesco can say the same thing about him to the press

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Beats the hell out of me. I'm just taking stabs at the situation you have basically come out and showed that McCoy hasn't been truthful with the press of fans. If all this festers long enough they might be carving holes in his saddle to accommodate his carbuncles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Excellent. If you can just add:
    "And boy did I learn my lesson from that 'more conservative than Goldwater' crap in Tennessee, Washington, etc.,"
    we've got ourselves a more qualified new head coach! Go pick up your whistle, BBB!

10. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    thanks much but it's weird he didn't say something like that or even nothing at all. The first thing I think of when reading what ABN said is, he sees the players as employees and thinks of himself as middle management. It was very kiss-up and shchit down. This isn't good

11. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I love the word, "carbuncles"

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Man we have some talented guys here at Bolt Talk, maybe those people should of put their application in for the head coaching job last January..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  13. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Are you one of the guys who was going for Norv's job?

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Unfortunately no, how about yourself? I rather let the coaches be coaches, the players be players, and the fans be fans. We may have opinions on certain situations and different suggestions than that of the coach, and that's fine, that's why we're fans and makes it fun to be one, but there's also a reason a coach is where he is. Much easier to be a coach on the couch/behind a keyboard than standing on the sideline.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    would anyone here like to point out the contradiction in Super's post?

16. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
  17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    That's true for a proven coach.
    This coach is 12 games in to a disappointing first HC season.
    He is not proven.
    And if the decisions--and the results--continue in this fashion, he will not long be where he is.

p.s. Obviously no one here has said it's an easy job…but whereas the last guy got blamed
    for
    everything, I think this guy should at least be honestly held responsible for the mistakes.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Wow 12 games in and its doomed a disappointing season.. hmmm..

Just curious Lance, did you expect the Chargers to be 5-7 heading into Week 14 before the season started? Or how about a top 5 ranked offense that was ranked 31st last year? Or how about our scheme changing on offense to tailor the personnel and also the QB, who had a turnover prone seasons the last 2 years prior, and now he is a top 5 QB in almost every statistic.

I was speaking generally when it comes to coaches and fans, I wasn't specifically making that reference to our head coach and also Charger fans. Funny how quick you were to mention McCoy and the "last guy".

19. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    It's a shame that Norv hate requires dismissing Telesco's achievements

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344
    I didn't realize the expectations were so high for McCoy this year. I mean 12 games into a season that has been riddled with injury, and cap restrictions, not to mention a new scheme. The train wreck AJ Smith and Norv left will take longer than 1 off season, and 12 games to fix. I personally so far am satisfied with how this season is going.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    awesome! I love this place!

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I thought they were too talented to be 5-7 at this point.
    Ignore all the small mistakes, and if only the two colossal fails (Ten. & Was.) don't happen, team is 7-5 and in the hunt.

So do I find 5-7 (and McCoy's promise not to learn from the mistakes) disappointing? ABSO-FVCKING-LUTELY!!!
    Please tell me you aren't going to go the way of others, putting made-up stuff like "doomed" in my mouth?

I'm not the guy to hide behind shiny stats as losses pile up, so no, if you want me to rejoice that the Chargers
    are losing more with a spiffy "top 5 ranked offense" that can score only one TD at home in a must-win game,
    I can't help ya there. Rivers has a passer rating of 104.4 right now. Exactly what it was for the 2009 season.
    That year I celebrated 104.4, because it helped the Chargers to an 11 game win streak and home field in the playoffs.
    This year it's the sort of thing fans of loser teams point to to make themselves feel better.
    In short: 104.4 is great when you're 13-3. Citing 104.4 when you're 5-7, losing 4 of 5
    (when mere mediocrity
    would get you into a weak AFC wildcard field)
    is just embarrassing.

And I'm bothered by people suddenly saying "Hey, we all knew it was gonna be tough this year…right?"

As I remember it, dozens and dozens of posters were claiming that Norv was the problem, and that his
    being HC was holding this team back from their true potential. That was post after post, remember?

I don't remember a single poster saying: "Norv needs to go, and of course, it's very likely that the
    team may perform even worse, but, well, it'll possibly be worth it in the long run."

I'm tempted to offer a bounty: $$ for every instance of such a post, located, before Norv was fired…
    I mean, all the posts are catalogued, right?

But maybe those who are not alarmed with the current "progress" are right…maybe people really were
    saying that before (not just re-writing a more comfortable history, now) and I just don't recall...:rolleyes:

• Creative Creative x 1
  23. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Look people, we are San Diego fans and much more reasonable than the unwashed masses. If the proof is weak or strong, it does not matter! We are higher people who wait years before saying someone fuching sucks and needs to be fired and replaced by anybody.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +250
    I agree with this assessment. Unfortunately we've lost about every pass rusher we had available at the start of the season, we had a lot of dead money from Meachem & Gaither that really made it tough to improve, and I think we all knew from the start that there was gonna be a certain degree of rebuilding.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I do not have a problem with someone getting called out for doing something very stupid! Ok some jerk just stepped on your foot. There are other ways you can get him back!.

27. mt_bolt

mt_bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Where is the shamming? I just see a coach instructing a player. Or maybe some of you think that 15 yard penalties should just be ignored?

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Yeah, guess its ok to get 15 yard penalties in 1 score games. Totally acceptable, now if McCoy got the 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct, would be interesting wouldn't it? Maybe those certain somebodies would feel better checking another "mistake" onto their list.

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    [​IMG]

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Ha!

Really don't want to waste any time or energy on this. I guarantee you once our 53 man roster was set, you didn't expect us to be in playoff contention. Please, go find your quote to back it up from September 1st.

Those stats speak volumes about the offense. Your telling me it's McCoy's fault a 10+ year vet like Gates fumbles twice (I like to bold my words too) in the red zone? Those are 2 scoring opportunities that, at a minimum is 6 points.

Now, could coaching have this team at 7-5. Absolutely. I'm not giving McCoy a pass. I never was. I am defending him however, instead of going for his head 12 games in, and like a logical person, I'm reserving judgement until his first season as a head coach if finished. Has this team improved from last year? Absolutely. Especially with a new scheme and multiple new players. Has this team digressed from last year? Yes, on the defensive side of the ball.

I'm really done with the topic after this post. Non-mistake football will make everyone happy I guess, win or lose. Good luck finding that.