1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McCoy Telesco so far....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Heir Coryell, Oct 18, 2013.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Gilchrist catches that pick in the TEN game....we're 5-2 right now.

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Not sure on the Raiders, they might actually be half-decent.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Don't give them any credit. I just heard that they had the week off and they still lost.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Good point, they did just lose the tiebreaker for 13th place

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    at the bye, they both have been rock solid IMO. we've been decimated by injury on both sides of the ball, have been in every game and should have at least one more win. these guys are doing phenomenal, what a breath of fresh air compared to the old regime. they change based on the cards they have, no dogma, no favorite approach or plan. they adapt to changing circumstances and thats what this league is, a series of changing circumstances.
    i see good things in our future.

6. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    MM threw an illegal flag and lost a timeout...that's another dumb, completely avoidable thing he's done this year. We know he isn't calling any plays, so if people must ignore that Telesco brought in key guys who were not here last year, at least credit Wisenhunt before packageing up the GM and Head Coach and compairing it to the lumped GM and Head Coach of last year

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Did we lose a TO? I thought we just lost one of our challenges?

8. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    They lost a time out...not sure what happens with the challenge but the penalty is losing a time-out. I've also read some varying takes on him ******* up the roster again with linemen. I'm pretty sure it wasn't as colossal as the earlier ****-ups he's done with being a man short but anyone here know more about it? Mc'Coy is like Obama with the way he benefits from not being the other guy. Better hope the Chargers don't lose Wisenhunt!

9. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Just me, but every coach and GM makes mistakes so focusing on them rather than overall outcomes within the context of what they are working with seems unreasonable (unless perfection is the only standard accepted).
    We've arguably had more key injuries than any year in the smith turner era and yet seem to be very competitive.
    As a long suffering chargerholic I see this as positive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Remember, only Norv was able to throw a challenge flag knowing that he would lose the call... Ahhh, the bad old days.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Seems to me you oughtta settle down, Francis. Ever made a mistake at work?

We won the game. Style points mean bupkus.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We're 4-3 at the bye-week. Maybe even better except for some bonehead play a couple of weeks. On the coaches? Maybe. But I'll take this year any day over the last three put together

• Like Like x 1
  13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    McCoy has made a few mistakes but he has stepped up and owned them. In the eyes of his players that goes a long way in building trust. This team is playing well and I like what he's getting out of RM the last two games, I just hope it continues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    I think we are showing more continuous improvement, and more consistency across the board with McCoy than before. But it is too early to be crowing, or kicking his arse...

15. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    You mean Marty, right? When the ref actually tried to calm him down in the Pats playoff game? I don't recall a ref coming over to Norv to try to convince him not to throw a flag. But this is an insane false equivalency--as are the "everyone makes mistakes" mistakes that everyone else makes; McCoy threw an illegal flag and lost a timeout! He screwed up the inactive list too.

This isn't about making a strategy or tactics mistake, these are bad by themselves and much scarier when reoccurring. Why is everyone so quick to excuse the inexcusable? The decision to play for the punt being the right or wrong call (I think it was easily wrong) isn't even in the same league as a mistake like throwing that flag, but the excuse he gave WAS inexcusable..."I'll take 92 yards every time". Can he really be as dumb as the average Chargers fan? He really said that. He implied that every time he punts, the spot will be on the 8.

I know you guys hate Norv and anything to help that narrative is useful for that hate, but you are unintentionally dismissing Telesco's efforts when you do this. I think Wisenhunt has proven to be effective (when he's not told to play for a punt) too but the clear improvement on this team isn't him or the guy who doesn't call plays and is supposed to be organized....it's the General Manager who brought in Woodhead, Fluker, Keenan Allen and mutiple people to battle at left. Lump them all together and MM is doing fuchin great! Just like lumpin Norv with AJ made Norv look bad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    You shouldn't appeal to yourself if you are that incompetent at your job

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I'm quite possibly the biggest Norv backer that ever existed - at least here on BT. I don't have an axe to grind with the guy so we can put that aside for what I'm about to say next.

Am I happy with the errors in judgement made by the new regime (HC / OC / DC, etc...)? No. But I'm willing to hold off on major judgement calls until they've at least gotten a full season under their belts. This is McCoy's first stint as a HC, he's going to make some mistakes, it's a big transition from coordinator to HC and I can appreciate that he doesn't seem to be taking it lightly nor is he shirking his responsibility for things that do go awry. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now and I think a lot of other fans are of a similar mentality.

RE: "I'll take the 92 yards anytime" play. I would have preferred they go for it but I understood why they didn't. You can get all up in arms if you want but it wasn't as cut and dry as folks like yourself want to make it out to be. Playing armchair QB (or HC in this case) is a pretty easy job. Being a HC is not. Whether it's literally going to require a 92yd drive every time wasn't the point he was making - that just happened to be what they got and the number he quoted - but he'll take giving the opponent with no time-outs, in the waning minutes of a game, a long field vs. potentially a short one turning it over on downs anytime. Conservative? Yes. Unforgivably moronic? No.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. tittylated

tittylated bolttalk cheerleader sweet

Ratings:
    +24
    Ill trade those bone head plays for what our offense is doing any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

19. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    The problem here again is false equivalency with vagueness,i.e., what are these other objective mistakes the rest of the "new regime" or anyone have made? throwing a challenge flag that everyone thinks you will lose is not in the same plane as throwing one you aren't allowed to that costs you a time-out. But to then mention one guy's mistakes as part of a group's mistakes without even mentioning what those are, is gymnastics to let a guy off the hook. The unintended consequence of thinning the blame of terrible mistakes is it puts blame on others

I agree with most all that to a point...the fact it keeps happening and no one cares is disturbing. The part I don't have use for is how many other people of are a similar mentality.

[/QUOTE]
    I said,
    "Folks like me" are not saying it was cut and dry and that what we "preferred" wasn't the point.

Regarding what MM said, it was his point because the decision is always made before the results and again, the decision isn't objectively moronic but what he said, was.

20. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    I agree, and even though losing a roster spot and making that seemingly bad call to play for the punt most likely cost one game this year, I'll take that loss (and more to come?) along with Fluker, Woodhead and the rest of the acquisitions over what AJ was likely to bring in

21. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Sure McCoy and Telesco are making mistakes, but there's no doubt in my mind that this team is slowly beginning to turn. I like what I see.

Go Bolts.

• Like Like x 1
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Only so much you can do in one offseason, I think TT did a good job recognizing that priority #1 was to keep Rivers standing.

McCoy has made some rookie mistakes from week to week, but I'll hand it to him you can tell he's determined not to repeat them....mainly not giving up on the run. Now the challenge is to find a nice balance between runs and safe passes when we're trying to put a team away, the finish to that Jags game was sloppy.

23. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    This lumping was actually addressed in this thread along with asking what mistakes anyone else but MM made.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Playcalling is only a small part of it. MM does not call the plays, but he has had a big hand in this offense. MM and Wisenhunt designed the offensive scheme together.

I really don't get why everyone is so upset about MM throwing the challenge flag. It's one of the stupidest rules in the NFL and not something that should be seen as a problem unless he does it more than once.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    While it's true that I have a lot bigger issue with MM's defending of the turtling that led directly to the
    loss in Tennessee, I don't blame fans for being "upset about MM throwing the challenge flag,"
    probably because most fans knew the rule that MM obviously did not.

The so-called "Jim Schwartz rule" was center stage of the huge-ratings Thanksgiving game that probably cost the
    Lions a win against the Texans on national TV less than a year ago. Schwartz later clearly admitted his error ("...it was my fault.")
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...hwartz-regrets-challenge-of-houston-texans-td

The rule was modified, very publicly, since then, (Mike McCarthy, was also ridiculed on national TV for throwing a challenge flag at an inappropriate time.) In other words, it may be an odd rule, but it's sure not an unknown one.
    And it certainly shouldn't come as news to any NFL head coach at this point.

Obviously MM is getting off a lot easier than he would have if that mistake had cost the game, as Schwartz's did.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    or if he wasn't ABN

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Albino By Nature?

28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    McCoy and Wiz do quite a bit of decision making as a team - McCoy might have the final say and might be the one who takes ultimate responsibility but to say that HC/OC/DC (as well as their staff) don't collaborate and have impact or culpability for the decisions made on game-day would be false. Wis and Pagano call the plays - not McCoy. He may step in and make executive decisions on things, sure, but by and large playcalling is in their hands and complaints about said playcalling should fall to them as well - if not to both. This isn't a matter of being vague - it's about expecting equal ownership and responsibility for those involved. Frankly, I'm wordy enough without specifying each specific play/decision to each specific offender :p They're a team - they are going to be lumped together. This also includes TT (who I am very happy with and who also collaborates with the coaches I'm sure - I don't hold coaching decisions against him though just I didn't with AJ but I do consider him and McCoy as a "boxed set" in some situations)

There was a long discussion about that play the week after it happened - when I say "folks like you" I was referring to other posters who had similar objections to his decision and response - it was argued that it was "obvious" he was wrong and like you have said multiple times here "incompetent". I don't agree with that assessment and I think you're misunderstanding his statement. We can agree to disagree on how much leeway we're willing to give a coach (or coaches or whomever) I may not agree with you but I understand your point of view. I think at this point that's what we may have to do b/c we're not going to be changing each others' minds anytime soon ;)

Good thing is, the team is showing signs of improvement (even with these "growing pains") and I think we can all agree it would appear that the ship is heading in the right direction, no?

29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    A Born Nutcase?......... I thought that only applied to Jack. ;)

30. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    Now I know why I was pulled into this thread ......... fargin' KARMA, its a real beeitch !!! :D