1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

McCoy upping the tempo

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Mike McCoy pushing Chargers' tempo
    By Michael Gehlken
    9:36 P.M. JULY 28, 2013

There was little standing around Sunday.

Chargers center Nick Hardwick, left guard Chad Rinehart and left tackle King Dunlap ran a run play against the defense in a half-line drill. Nearly the moment that play was done, a huddle broke, and out came backup center Dave Molk, right guard Jeromey Clary and right tackle D.J. Fluker.

The defense defended again.

Back and forth, play after the play, the next play came with minimal rest between.

First-year coach Mike McCoy has kept a noticeable tempo to his practices this offseason.

It's one thing to push a fast pace in the spring, in shorts, during a nine-week workout program. It's another during the longer, two-hour padded practices of training camp virtually every day.

“You’ve just got to fight through it, and we’re not going to let up,” McCoy said. “We’re going to keep up. We have a tempo we want to set every day. They’ve got to do it.

There’s only one way to get into football shape. We’re going to play some teams that play an up-tempo system, and we’ve got to do a great job of being in great shape. We’ve got to get in the best shapes of our lives.”

The rationale behind the tempo extends beyond conditioning.

The faster a team goes, the more plays it can run. The more plays, the more film it'll have to evaluate as the coaches measure their roster.

“We tell the players we’re going to challenge them,” McCoy said. “That’s how we all started practice today and they did a nice job.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    that sounds great to me....step up the intensity and drive team wide, break away from the lackluster complacency that norvs term had breed into our team. i like mcoys work ethic and efforts, im looking forward to seeing how it motivates our vets into thier second primes and allows the new blood on our team to become agressive play makers for the future....

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,764
    McCoy is a very unassuming type person to judge by looks alone and has me starting to buy into "HIS" system. No more coming out of the gate flat and slow???

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    you mean like its not okay to lose the first four games?

• Like Like x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,764
    They should never "think" it's okay to lose any games. I remember a few games that the Bolts looked as if they were playing in their sleep. I hope these boys are jumpy and ready to go at the sound of the whistle.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    When I was at TC on Saturday, the faster tempo was something I noticed right away. Under Norv, each play seemed to take forever to run. Didn't seem like there was any pace at all.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,483
    It's certainly one area where McCoy's approach should bring dividends. Since there isn't all the hitting in practice like in the old days, coaches need to find other ways to get players into football shape.

There are also a bunch of teams running the no-huddle these days, so the defense has to practice at that pace as well to get used to dealing with it. I always thought we should've worked it into our offense, and not just used as a two minute drill. Rivers is certainly smart enough to handle it.

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,764
    Move quick and hit hard, that's the reward for playing and practicing uptempo. Earning respect on the field because you're there and ready to change the calender.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    It was clear as day that Norv was far too casual and did not push it enough. It is great to hear about McCoy having the guys go go go, pushing them hard... I went looking to see how Tyronne Green was getting on in New England, always liked the guy and found this... you can bet he never had to worry about getting to the sideline quickly under Norv!;

During 11 on 11 drills, offensive linemen Markus Zusevics and Tyronne Green were substituted out and they casually trotted to the sidelines. By the time the play was about to start Bill Belichick blew his whistle and he could be heard screaming at both Marcus and Tyronne. Both players didn't get to the sidelines before the play and its obvious Belichick didn't appreciate their lack of hustle. It's the little things like this that could make or break your chances.

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,764
    No more Club Med by the sea in San Diego for the boys in blue and gold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Just catching up on videos of his pressers.
    I like this guy's attitude. no nonsense no bullshit. Let's hope he can get the wreck of a roster in shape and winning some games.

12. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    For those who follow soccer, McCoy seems to be taking a similar coaching approach to the one that's paying dividends for United States Men's National Team: an integrated structure from nutrition, to training, to education, that emphasizes a high tempo and constantly challenges the team to learn and improve themselves.

On the surface, the feedback from the players for both teams seems so similar.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Despite the protestations of Allen Iverson, you should practice the way you want to play. If you drag *** in practice, then it's hard to just turn it on in a real game. Practice fast, so you can play fast.