1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCree, hope you saw the last play.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by tboltzcali, Jan 21, 2007.

1. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Colts-Patsies last play of the game. Im pissed cuz we didnt have the smarts to do that.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    You so have never played football, completely different situations

3. BoneDaddyKool

BoneDaddyKool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Jackson's "get down" was perfect. I have played football, on defense, I know the mind set, and McCree could have done the same thing... that play really stung me hard. I was like WHY????????

Ug... that was nice but frustrating at the same time.

Go No One, XLI will be Anti-Climatic to say the least...

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    it was just bad luck and a heads up play by Brown; its not a similar play because there was far less time in the colts game and that truly ended the game. McCree had more time to go and we needed to put together another strong drive to put the Pats away. this schpiel over Mcree is based solely on after the fact BS

5. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Not sure how different the situation was when all McCree had to do was fall down, which is what the Colt defender did. Not sure where you going with this Posty. McCree falls down, no fumble, we have the ball. BALLGAME! Only difference if there is one is the Colts picked it to end the game. But still, if McCree falls down.....

6. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Let me ask you one question, if McCree falls down, what happens? By McCree not falling down, he risked a turnover, which unfortunately happend and they got the opportunity to tie the game. The fumble took the ball out of our offenses hands and cost us probably a shot at winning the game. Thats the difference.

7. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    should then you always go down no matter when it is in the game after an interception because your afraid to lose hte ball? that's BS and you know it

8. BoneDaddyKool

BoneDaddyKool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I disagree, McCree was slipping down, struggled to get back up, when it's 4th down. The head has to be in the game at that point. He lays there, it's over, maybe, but at least gives SD a huge advantage. when you look at marlin Jackson's pick tonight, sure it is different, but when I saw that I was like... Oh heartbreak all over again...

Take nothing away from McCree, he's a great player, and I'm glad to have him as a Charger.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    mcree is one of the best d-backs there is. He's aggressive. And wanted to put the game away with a return. Only problem was he ran right into brown who is also a part time d-back who knew what to do.

10. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    I know that he should of just went down. The pick cost us some yardage. He should of went down, better yet, he should of held on to the damn ball! IF he picks it and has open field, I like his chances, but when you have most of the bunch on the field around you, you go down and leave it at that.

11. BoneDaddyKool

BoneDaddyKool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Posty,

Plus, Bro, It's a playoff game!!! That makes the situation different. Not trying to make you feel bad, WE all are anrgy right now, but this is all hindsight.

Next year will be different...

12. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    Yeah, next year we will put them away by halftime like we should of the first 4 posessions.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    if its not the end of the game you should always move the ball up however much you can. Mcree barely got started before brown made that heads up play. Even if its the end of the game, like the Colts did, you move it up what you can for safety's sake, and then hit the deck. Mcree barely got it moving when Brown stirpped it.

Again this is after the fact nitpicking and an other example of hte ball simply not bouncing our way

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    McCree juggled the ball, HE SHOULD HAVE DROPPED IT! The ball would have been ours in good field position anyway.

The problem is we signed Marlon McCree! Not Marlon Jackson. LOL jk.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You're right. There were six minutes left in the game when McCree made his pick. Had he been able to return his interception for good yardage, it could have had a huge impact on our ability to score and put the game away.

Jackson's pick occured with less than a minute left. The game was over at that point.

I'm pissed at McCree for not having better ball security, but it's hard to fault him for trying to return the pick. Of couse, had he batted the pass down, we would have gotten it out at the 40 yard line.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It amazes me how many 'knowledgable' football fans we have here, who claim that the team needs a killer instinct, and 14-2 mean nothing. Yet they turn around and dont want the DB's making interceptions, prefering to have the player 'knock the ball down'.

If the damn player actually has the set to disobey the will of these 'knowledgable' football fans and intercept the ball, he should fall on it immediately.

No returned INTs for touchdowns for these 'knowledgable' football fans .

No killer instict.

Just fall on the ball, dont try and make a play.

Follow the voice of the fan. Never intercept the ball, and NEVER try and take it to the house. That is for other teams, because the 'knowledgable' Charger football fans demand this not be done. Cause they know best...

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah .. he should have batted the ball down.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thats the killer instict! The foot on the neck battle mode if you will that we all want of our Chargers...

19. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    There is a difference between killer instinct and being a smart, heady football player. I want player to be smart and not head butting and making poor decisions. It's that same killer instinct that cost us some key penalties and were ultimately just boneheaded plays.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Sooo, you are under the opinion that making an interception, and trying to return it is a bonehead play?

Sorry I dont agree. You want to put a tutu on the secondary and ask them to not play with their ears back and try to make the big game changing play, that is your call. NO COACH in the NFL would have told McCree to bat it down and not try and return it. Only 'knowledgable' football fans here do that.

The headbutt was a stupid play. The foul on Olivia was stupid. McCree attempting to make a great play a huge play was not. You guys can roast him if your want, but you might want to start watching flag football because your not showing the fortitude to watch the NFL.

21. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    No .. I didn't say making an interception was a boneheaded play. But if you are going to make one in between 4 Patriots, you better secure the damn ball. The smart play would have been to bat the ball down.

As far as the boneheaded thing .. I just think you need to be careful about preaching the killer instinct and getting players so hyped up that they make stupid penalties. In my opinion, smarter is better.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We will have to agree to disagree on this one bro. I will not fault McCree at all. The Pats made a good play hitting the ball before McCree was down. If the roles were reversed we would be singing the praises of our player who knocked the ball out.

We would not be sayig the DB gave the ball up. We would be congratulating our player for a good play.

No McCree did what he is supposed to do, and he was a victim of the game. Next season I want him back. he was a huge reason our secondary was vastly improved. I hope he tries to run every INT back, unless it is the end of the game or half.

The way I see too many people here want it both ways.

23. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Have you heard otherwise? I agree with you as well that he is one of the biggest reason why our secondary has improved from last year. That and getting rid of the assistant secondary coach (or whatever his title was) .. :icon_toast:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Give it a FUKING REST!

He was making a play on the ball and Brown made a very good play to strip the ball.

Getting that INTwas not end of game. There were OVER 6 MINUTES left. Get the fuk off my boys back!

BTW, on the next series when all we had to do was drive down the field and kick a FG to close the book on this game, our O went 3 and OUT!

He made this secondary better than it has been in years.
    He brought leadership to the secondary.
    He showed them how to prepare.
    They all said it.

So step the fuk off!! :trout: :trout: :trout:

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    7 yrs thank you

what did you do again? 3 yrs water boy?:lol:

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    QFT.

Lte it go guys, he was trying to make a play, and unfortunately he fell victim to a even greater play by Troy Brown.

:icon_shrug:

27. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm done arguing the play in so much as to point out that plays like that are momentum shifters .. Key interceptions and key 4th down stops are important in the 4th quarter.

Having said that, McCree should be back next season. I like his leadership in the secondary and I wasn't as scared in some situations like I was last year.

28. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +108
    F that. Dont sit here and give Tbrown credit. McCree suppose to secure the damn ball. All year long we needed plays and when we finally get one, it gets fumbled away. I do fault McCree for coughin it up. 4th and 5, he bats it away, our ball, none of this drama. But again, his first reaction is to pick it off. FINE! But then you just gave it right back to them and all was history. We keep the ball, we grind the clock, but then again, LT got 9 carries the whole second half. So Im making an *** out of myself by trying to bring up a point where I got no support from the ex OC.

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    Let go of the hate.

What about your twin? (Parker: drops, muff punt that he TRIED TO PICK UP INSTEAD OF FALLING ON IT!) He did that all by himself.

Florence? 15 yrd penalty on what would have been 4th and 15?

Goff - 15 PF on the freaking POINT AFTER!!!

Marty - Red Flag.

You are so focused on ONE PLAY and you are trying to drop the blame on ONE guy when there was a complete and total team effort in the fukup category.