1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCree,Neal maybe gone,Oliver to Safety

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 23, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
  2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    "Paul Oliver was selected in the supplemental draft in preparation for Florence's departure. But it appears the Chargers will need to somehow acquire another cornerback in the draft, because it appears Oliver's future is probably at safety..."

Boltjolt's not gonna like that... :lol:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    When we picked up Oliver I never remember hearing about him being moved to safety - he was supposed to be our nickel back

Also why then would you spend a first rounder on a nickel back at best? You've got a guy who was supplementally drafted with the intent to replacing D-Flo at Nickel.

4. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Oliver didn't cost us a first round pick he cost us a 3rd I believe.

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    a 4th...

on a happy note:
    It is all but certain free safety Marlon McCree will be released with three years left on the contract he signed in 2006. Eric Weddle will replace McCree...
    :abq2:
    McCree was a liability in coverage...

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hate to see Neil go but you've got to wonder how much he has left in his career.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    McCree... don't let the door...

Neal... thanks for the memories, leadership and work ethic... please retire and stay with the organization.

I'm a little concerned about the Oliver thing. He must be under performing pretty bad at CB if they're already talking about moving him. I thought Hart was pleasantly capable this season so I don't see an urgent need to replace him or Weddle... IMO your #3 safety is considerably less valuable to the team than the #3 CB. I don't think this speaks well to his development.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    No no no, I guess I misspoke
    I know Oliver was a fourth rounder - but the article says the Chargers are thinking going Cornerback in the first round
    Again, why would you do waste a first rounder on a nickel back, much the same as why would you waste a first rounder on a backup running back?
    I'd sooner take a CB/S in the first round like Reggie Smith out of Oklahoma then try and convert Oliver

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Lets look at it from another perspective.

What did the playoff teams do against our defense and what is needed to take the next step. We now have to be geared to defeating not only our division but whomever is leading the pack in the AFC.

As much as I pine for the fat pigs up front, when we go nickle or dime, I would rather have a cornerback who can be converted to safety later versus drafting a safety. If Eric Weddle is handed the reigns, I am good with that at FS.

10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    "Waste" a first rounder on a CB just to play nickel?

The nickel was out there for half of our defensive plays this year. So, it would hardly be a waste to grab a good one.

One that has been mentioned in various spots is Cromartie's cousin, Rodgers-Cromartie. He has ball skills just like the Cro. He wouldn't be a bad choice with our low first rounder if AJ does go the CB route.

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    well, we saw Welker take "less-than-primetime" D-Flo to the woodshed... we need another CB with wheels to cover the slot, or else the Dolts/Cheats will continue to exploit that position like they did in both games...

I also like Smith at safety, but speed kills and this kids got it and size... CB C.Godfrey, 6-0 208 4.38, Iowa

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Please no more 1st round DBs. :no:

13. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Cro was a first rounder well spent and despite what some think so was Jammer.

Sammy Davis on the other hand....

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Oh totally!

I didn't mean that retroactively or anything. QJ and Cro were excellent 1st round pick-ups. But, remember Kiel and Davis, we're only batting about .500 for DBs in the first two rounds.

I absolutely do NOT want us to take another CB in the 1st (unless it's an absolute steal). And I would rather see us take some beef than a safety in the 1st.

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The issue is that all three were EXPECTED TO START. You don't draft a first round cornerback to be a nickelback.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That has been a mantra but consider that if you are loaded at CB with Cro and Jammer, when they go down, who is the replacement?

That is scary.

Consider we are at a point in team talent to where some of the old axioms may be obsolete.

17. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    why not, he may end up starting if a starter goes down - and you know how AJ loves depth...

certainly, I've been pimpin a guy like P.Sims to add beef on the d-line, and/or a guy like C.Williams to add beef on the o-line, but the playoffs are all about matchups and our 3rd CB got lit up...

it will be interesting which direction AJ will go... at least he'll have options, including RB...

personally, I'd love him to manufacture an early second rdr - some how...

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    damn, you're starting to make sense... :lol: I need help...:icon_rofl:

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm happy with this news, that McCree will be cast aside and LoNeal will be gone too. Neither bring anything to the team no more so adios. Yes Lo has been a great servant but in my opinion Pinnock did almost as good a job as Lo in his prime this year.

Weddle for McCree was the obvious move. And losing MT and Flo to FA was expected. While Flo served as the nickel corner I truly believe we would have been as productive there with Gordon this year. Flo is not starting corner material period. Thus no loss.

I reckon Gross or Race might come on strong enough to replace Turner, not sure a draft pick on a RB is necessary. Depending on who is there at 27 I'd like to see a big D lineman.

Before I learned about the possibility of Oliver coming in at safety I was thinking safety, maybe not now.

:icon_toast:

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

I don't think Oliver has to be underperforming for him to be moved to safety. His skills might just be better suited there. If Oliver is moved to safety, I believe it will be to challenge Hart for a starting job, not to be the #3 safety.

We need a nickel corner, that's for sure. I don't see anyone on our current roster that I feel comfortable filling the role.

21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I didn't see Welker take him to the woodshed on Sunday. 7 catches for 56 yards is hardly, "taking him to the woodshed."

22. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Nickel corners wind up as starters for at least a spell quite often.

The thing that nobody wants to talk about is that once Cro reaches his second contract, there is no way we will be able to afford both he and Jammer. Drafting a stud nickel corner and developing him over the next two to three years is definitely healthy for the organization.

I loved having two studs play corner this year. :yes:

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I would prefer to believe that he hasn't underperformed. But I don't... in my mind CB is a more demanding position and when guys get too old and slow they move 'em to safety. I can't see a kid in his second year (really 1st full season) being moved from CB to safety being an indication that he's having a lot of success.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah whatever...

One of the coolest things I read that AJ was doing was something I did when I was in corporate america.

He uses a grease board or magnetic board to see his tasks at hand. I did this for contract administration and it is a valuable tool (forget the computers) for some of this stuff.

AJ peeled the names off each starting position to see what is left and who is signed.

The mental impact that makes for anyone walking into this area (players and mgt alike) is that the dude is thinking and thinking and it sends a signal to those who watch him peel the banana that this is all business.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, he was drafted last year. You're assuming that the Chargers had planned for him to be a corner but it didn't work out. Maybe they just tried him out at both positions and determined safety was his better position. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    True true. I guess I would have felt better hearing that he was looking good at CB and would be the answer at nickel back when Flo leaves at the end of the year. By indicating this position shift they're clearing saying that Oliver is not going to be the guy to replace Flo and we need another CB. Maybe in the grand scheme of things the organization really did anticipate moving him to safety. But to me this news just means a hole on the depth chart (and 3rd CB is almost a starting position these days) where before I thought we had our guy.

Sure it's not necessarily a bad thing, but I can't figure out how to spin it as a good thing either.

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hard for me to figure out the surprise here. Can't remember the specific sites, but some of the scouting reports had Oliver better suited to safety than corner in the NFL. Whatever position he plays in the coming seasons, he should be an effective nickel regardless. He is, after all, a rookie who came out early into a demanding NFL position. Another thing to consider is whether AJ is playing mind games with the draft to simply keep people guessing about what Gawd's plans are. This could all be so much smoke and mirrors.

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that makes alot more sense then really shifting Oliver over

29. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    yep its right herehttp://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1184022688&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347