1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McCree provides game-breaker - with some help

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,844
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061030-9999-1s30chside.html

By Jay Posner
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 30, 2006

On the play before the play that changed the game – if not the season – the Chargers allowed a 37-yard pass from Marc Bulger to Isaac Bruce that left the St. Louis Rams 29 yards away from a tie in the third quarter.

“(Coach) Marty (Schottenheimer) always tells us to forget about the last play and go on to the next play,” defensive end Jacques Cesaire said. “You never know what can happen on that next play.”

True, but no one could have expected what did happen when Bulger handed off to Stephen Davis, who ran into the left side of the Rams' line.

“They were running toward my side a lot today,” said Cesaire, who made his third start of the season in place of Igor Olshansky. “I remember (Orlando) Pace giving me a block and I saw the running back cut up inside, so I just went in and was just trying to make a tackle.”

Cesaire did better than that. His helmet hit the ball, which popped forward about 4 yards into the Chargers secondary, immediately in front of where safety Marlon McCree was standing.
    Cesaire didn't remember much after that. “A lot of running,” the 295-pounder said, laughing. “Just a lot of running. Real tired afterward.”

2. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    McCree also got some help from the Ram O-linemen. A couple of them could have easily touched McCree while he was on the ground, but they just stood there.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,844
    Yup, they should know by now you play till the whistle sounds.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Great play but McCree needs to wrap up and tackle people.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,844
    Agreed, but with the caviat(sp?) that most the D needs to learn that skill.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,880
    he's our best safety but he'd not be so on a number of other teams
    Safety really does need to be addressed in the offseason

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Yeah, they are meant to be "Professionals"

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,844
    In a very lose sence of the word sometimes...

No excuse for mental lapses like that.

9. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Yeah, at least it wasn't the Chargers having mental lapses or forgetting how to tackle:tup:

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,844
    There were still some shoulder hits. Most notibally was when McCree shoulder blocked the Rams WR out of bounds. Luckily it worked. If the Rams WR had held up one step it would probably have gone for 6.

In High School football the first thing they teach is head up, and tackle with your arms. I am not sure why it is lost at the pro level, other than my cynical view that the players are more interested in getting on teh JACKED UP highlight reel than playing fundamental foot ball.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

12. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    We need some luck to come our way:tup:

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    My boy did good with the fumble return, but he was out of position on some plays yesterday. He wasn't picking up the WR coming across the deep middle in time and was late getting there.

Not a great day, but not a bad one considering the quality of pass catchers they have on the Rams. Holt and Bruce would easily start ahead of any of our WRs and possibly Curtis as well.

14. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Hey, give some props to Jacques for making a timely hit. My boy deserves some respect for holding things down while Igor is getting healthy.