1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McFadden, Merriman on the move?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Bill Williamson
    ESPN

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen said on ESPN Radio [​IMG] Thursday morning that two high-profile AFC West players could be available during the draft. Mortensen said Oakland could move running back Darren McFadden and San Diego could trade linebacker Shawne Merriman.

[​IMG]
    McFadden
    [​IMG]
    Merriman

The McFadden talk is surprising. He was the No. 4 overall pick in 2008. McFadden hasn’t made much of an impact and has often been injured. Still, as of now, McFadden and Michael Bush are expected to carry the load at running back for Oakland. Justin Fargas was released earlier this offseason.

If the Raiders want to trade McFadden, perhaps they are preparing to draft a running back. Clemson running back C.J. Spiller has the world-class speed that Oakland owner Al Davis craves, but so does McFadden. That’s why he was picked so high when Oakland had other glaring needs two years ago. Spiller would require Oakland’s’ top pick, which is No. 8 overall.

Perhaps the Raiders will look for a running back later in the draft. Still, I think dealing McFadden may be difficult because of his lack of production. Plus, this is a very deep running back class, so it would be surprising if a team gave up much for McFadden. There’s no way Oakland will get fair-market value in return. Oakland can’t just give away the No. 4 overall pick from two years ago. In the end, I’d be surprised if McFadden was traded.

I’d be less surprised if Merriman was sent packing, although I’m not necessarily expecting it. There has been talk of Merriman’s availability all offseason. Merriman would have to sign his restricted free-agency tender to facilitate a trade. If a team wanting to trade for Merriman is willing to give him a new contract, I’d imagine he wouldn’t have a problem signing his tender to kick start the trade.

Will these deals happen? We’ll see soon. It just adds to the excitement of the weekend.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I won't be shocked if we see SP moved for the right price over the next few days. Esp if we draft Sergio Kindle outta Texas.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I will be surprised if Merriman is moved because he is an enormous question mark right now. I sure wouldn't bank a 1st or 2nd on him coming back and putting up double digits sacks, nor would I be willing to let him go for much less.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don;t think there is any reasonable justification to draft another OLB this year so he can ride the pint for 2 years. If we trade SM or SP, it will be to get English on the field and to get picks to address other positions

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Only for a 1st... If SM is healthy he could be a huge impact player on our run to the SB. But he is basically a 1yr rental for us.

6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    DO NOT TRADE MERRIMANN AJ, YOU BASTARD!

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If he isn't, and just walks at the end of the season for little to no compensation, I will be pissed. Same thing goes for Sproles. They either need to be re-signed, or traded.

If I had it my way, I would trade that punk *** Phillips and re-sign Merriman. I just don't know if that is realistic

8. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    shhh! Don't atagonize him! :icon_tease:

9. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Coming off missing the 08 season and a not very productive season plagued by injuries last year, what could they get for him? A 1st rounder? Forget about that. EVERY account I've heard of the injury says it takes 2 years to heal so we should definitely keep him to see what he can do. Plus he is the leader of our defence also from what I've heard and the dude works really hard.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Even a 3rd or 2011 2nd would be better than a 5th in 2012

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Do it AJ! He will never be the same player, especially since he is off the juice!!!

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You do know that he never played while on the Juice, right? The test he popped on was 5 months before the season even started, and he never popped on any test prior or since

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I wonder who'd be willing to take McFadden... Maybe the Bills?

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You can't prove a negative. There's just no 'evidence' he played juiced (unless stats count as evidence).

15. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    you know we probally could tell AL Davis we will give him a round pick next year for mcfadden. he might just take it lol

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I for one am willing to wait to see what Merriman does once camp starts. He should have had the surgery sooner, but that's the way mop flops. I anticipate a really good season from him, personally.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    so, while the draft is going on, AJ would have to make a deal with another team (assuming that other team was on the clock or near) for Merriman, at the same time Merriman would have to negotiate a contract with the new team and Merriman would have to sign his tender (which he would only sign if he was sure he would get traded)

mmm, sound easy :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Exactly, Merriman would need to sign his tender in order for any trade to happen. It's really unlikely that Merriman will be traded just for that reason.

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The time for signing tenders past a week ago.

It'd have to be a strait up trade, most likely the recieving team would have a deal Merriman and his agent agree on.

20. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    No Merriman has to sign his tender. Until Merriman signs his tender he is not under contract, and the Chargers wouldn't be able to trade him.

The tender deadline you're referring to is the period where other teams could have signed him to an offer sheet if they were willing to give up a 1st and 3rd.

Not the same thing.

21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    It would be stupid to give up on Merriman now. He'll bounce back this season and we don't have to pay him much.